dwell 289c.i.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dwell 289c.i.

first time I ever put points in installed right out of box. Started right up thought I would adjust dwell to 30* from 32* Why, I don't know. oooops, motor shut off won't start. don't remember which way I turned the screw. Should I have left dwell alone?? I don't understand about setting points with feeler gage to 16* All help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank You All.

As gap increases...dwell decreases.
    28 to 32 degree's is spec for most V8's.
    I try to set at the low number, because as the rubbing block wears, the gap decreases and the dwell increases, so having it increase 'through' the range is better than being at one end of that range and then creep out of it.
    Also.
    Changing the dwell also chages the timing, so you always set the dwell (points) first.
    HTIH
    Jeff

Originally posted by rkspence View Post
    first time I ever put points in installed right out of box. Started right up thought I would adjust dwell to 30* from 32* Why, I don't know. oooops, motor shut off won't start. don't remember which way I turned the screw. Should I have left dwell alone?? I don't understand about setting points with feeler gage to 16* All help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank You All.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

With new points, setting points to the book specified opening, i.e. .016", is also usually right on the dwell specification. As the rubbing block wears, it is better to set to dwell.

thnx, jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

What they said.

Although setting the dwell isn't better since both the dwell and the gap end up with the same outcome.
        BUT...the dwell is easier to set for some, rather thAn messing with a feeler gage.

Get back to your base setting with the .016" gap. Then if you want to try again with the dwell...go "slowly"...when turning the wrench.

Mike

Comment

this may sound dumb guys but with the points in the car how do I know when the points should be open to set with feeler? Am I on the right track or way off? Do I hit the starter? I am only a good enough of a mechanic to get into trouble. It is a gt hawk with a delco
          Last edited by rkspence; 05-31-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Slowly revolve the crank until the rubbing block is dead center on one of the 'points' of the cam (inside the distributor). Thats when you set the gap. Put your feeler gage in the open points and adjust until it's tight. Then very carefully, with a slight pull on the feeler, turn the adjustment screw until the feeler pops out. Stop right there.

Comment

Thank You Tom B. will try tomorrow I am trying to get a visual of what I will be seeing. in shop manual the rubbing block would be center of the curved point or flat? like I said I need a tune up guide for dummies. Thanks again Ron

Comment

It has to allow the points to close, so the rub block should be centered on the curved point.

Comment

Ron,
                  This video is for a VW everything is very, very similar.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJl39RZZHo
                  Nathan

Comment

got the dwell set plugged vac advance checked the timing it was way off so set it ,now my dwell is under by about 8* what went wrong. it starts right up

Comment

Working...
                    X