Special Engine Tag on 3/4 ton Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Engine Tag on 3/4 ton Truck

I found this tag on a 1956 3/4 ton truck engine that says " Do not remove this plate, this is engine #335435, order parts from special engine section in current parts parts list" I have attached a poor photo of this plate. Does anyone know what is different/special about this engine?
    Attached Files

I believe that is just a replacement engine tag, I think there was a firm in CA that was either rebuilding or replacing engines and they put those tags on their blocks.
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Agree with 289stude. Many big-time engine rebuilders attached tags like this to rebuilt engines so that later service people could find out about modifications like bored cylinders, undersize/oversize bearings, etc. There might still be a tag on it somewhere elsewhere with the rebuilder's name on it. BTW, Stude attached similar tags to some of its replacement engines to assist dealers in ordering parts for them or in making them fit into a variety of different vehicles.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I restored a '42 Commander that had a Studebaker dealer installed replacement motor in 1947. It contained a tag advising of replacement parts. My guess is the motor contained parts not common to the "spects" specific to a '42 motor.
        How did I know it was replaced in 1947 you ask. I had the original Dealer shop order.

Comment

That is definitely a REPLACEMENT Engine Tag.

However I cannot agree with those of you who are saying it is some kind of aftermarket "rebuilder's" tag. Those DID exist, but would never read like this!

Any time you see info like: "order parts from special engine section in current parts list" this could only be Studebaker Corp. info. 535435 is a STUDEBAKER Part number (if you look closer, it's a 5 not a 3).
          It's a Genuine Studebaker, New Factory 185 c.i. 1955 to 1958 Champion flathead Six "Stripped Engine" (short block) replacement Engine, complete except Oil pan and Head, possibly installed by a Studebaker Dealer.

This Engine, when New would be identical to the original (Std. bore), if your Truck is a Model 2E-10 on the Serial Number Plate just below the Seat on the Driver's side of the Cab floor.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-29-2010, 01:15 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich-
            Thanks for breaking the code on that one. I thought it sounded like a Stude replacement engine tag, but was thrown off by a 3 as the first digit.
            Skip
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I thought I might have found something rare, but apparently not. StudeRich appears to have figured it out (sorry for the poor photo). It makes the most sense that this is just a factory replacement engine since I thought the truck had always been local here in Ohio. Any ideas why a factory replacement engine, identical to the original engine, should have such a tag? I guess just in case it was installed in some other vehicle not originally having that engine. I can check with my uncle who worked at the dealership and maybe he remembers replacing the engine in this truck.

I find this interesting. The same family dealership replaced an R-2 engine in an Avanti that a saleman "burned up" when he got it stuck in the snow (he of course was "let go" because of this). Studebaker came in and replaced the engine. That car is still in Ohio and I would guess should have a similar tag on its engine.

Again, thanks for the comments.
              Last edited by gwood; 05-30-2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

FWIW, back in the day, small-town engine rebuilders were one step removed from Wheelbarrow Johnny and the blacksmith shop. Most did not have any machine tools or micrometers and used feeler gauges for checking clearances. Thus, a genuine-factory-short-block was considered much more desirable than a local rebuild.

thnx, jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                X