Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On second thought, checking those brakes should have been the FIRST priority!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On second thought, checking those brakes should have been the FIRST priority!

Enjoyed a great cruise at the Northwest Overdrive (actually, saturday's drive was with the Antique Auto group) and my great-grandmother's '48 Land Cruiser did very well. With 'Miss Daisy' (my six year old daughter) talking up a storm in the back seat we followed some beautiful Stude's from the hotel to the McMinville airport and back. First really long drive I have had with this vehicle and I was impressed.
    What does this have to do with the title? Well, due to the distance I was traveling and need to get home, I trailered my '48 to the event and back. Upon reaching home, I jumped in the Stude to roll it off the trailer - and the brake pedal went to the floor with minimal return! Luckily, I was able to pump the brakes enough to stop me from rolling into the garage - but I shudder at what could have been if they had gone out on the drive!
    Now, this isn't a vehicle that has sat for 10 plus years, but instead has been driven regularly by my grandfather and uncle, and has never given an indication of brake trouble. No obivious sighting of brake fluid pooled on the trailer or vehicle or obvious linkage dangling - I hope to have some time this coming week to dive into troubleshooting.
    Anyway, just a cautionary tale from a rookie for those other rookies that may post out there.....

P.S. first post, so not sure how the attached picture is going to look - hopefully not too big!

***UPDATE****

According to my mechanic friend, it turns out my rear wheel cylinders were shot, master cylinder was bone dry....hence the no stopping ability! Yeehaw.....fun times.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by oregonroses; 06-15-2010, 08:36 PM. Reason: ***Update***
    1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Brakes, yeah... I know the feeling! They almost completely quit on the '40 at the May meet. (Just ask Matt) lol
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Have a shot and calm down. This kind of thing happens with these old vehicles. Thankfully, it didn't fail on the road. I had a Rambler's brakes fail on me in heavy traffic. There's a reason people call the parking brake an 'emergency brake.' Think of it this way, at least you kept your head and pumped the brakes. Though you had a clenching moment at the end of the day, the rest of it seems to have been great. Which one is your car in the lineup?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I am pretty sure the Land Cruiser would be the Peacock Green one, fourth from the left, there appears to be a hidden White car between the Tan '40 or '41 Commander or President and the number 1 car the Maroon Coupe.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Leave it to two Stude pilots to park their jets in front of a glass window....sheesh
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Leave it to two Stude pilots to park their jets in front of a glass window....sheesh
            Obviously the planes are on static display.

Small world, though... The plane in the rear (Tail# 90137) is an F106A bearing squadron markings from the 49th FIS based at Griffis AFB, NY. This plane was assigned to the 48th FIS at Langley AFB, VA during my tenure there. It's good to see that it has survived. Many memories!
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I am pretty sure the Land Cruiser would be the Peacock Green one, fourth from the left, there appears to be a hidden White car between the Tan '40 or '41 Commander or President and the number 1 car the Maroon Coupe.
              You win, StudeRich. That's mine hiding out there, fourth from the left. Hopefully someone posts pics of the other vehicles that were involved on the Sunday drive as there were quite a few more rolling down the road that day.

Comment

And here is a front on picture for a different view: (Now mine is the fifth from left, corrected from my previous post)

And getting ready:

Comment

Peacock Blue? It looks more a green to me. Yet blue, green, or otherwise it's still beautiful! Ah, to have just one car that nice!
                  Last edited by studeclunker; 05-29-2010, 09:44 AM.
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Excellent, Mr. Oregonroses, good report, great pics, good tip, and it took me over a year of lurking, then till the forum changed to be able to post pictures. Welcome aboard, neat place, this. John

Comment

Roger - Glad to hear the brake problem was not "fatal". Here's a link to my earlier post with a few more pics from last Sunday.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Overdrive-PICS!
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Okay you started out with the thumbnail attachment and progressed to a real full size picture. How do you do that? Or is this going to remain one of thse Forum secrets for an elite few??
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I believe the thumbnail is hosted right on the forums and the full size are linked from an external host. No mystery or secret

--george
                          1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Woodysrod-the thumbnail views were under the "manage attatchments" option, then by the second posting I realized I could link from my photobucket account for the larger sized view.

Comment

I never posted a lot of pictures before because of photo bucket. I would like to put pictures up from my hard drive not photo bucket.
                              Good Roads
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X