Mustang Seats in my 88 'beater Avanti'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang Seats in my 88 'beater Avanti'

Bought the seats awhile ago but haven't had the time to fabricate brackets and install but I forced myself to put one in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	I PHONE 021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1731726 Click image for larger version

Name:	I PHONE 010.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1731728

Pretty good color match and really not that difficult. The red leather seats are out of a 2005 Mustang.

ErnieR
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bige; 05-28-2010, 08:51 PM.

Lookin' good! The Mustang seat appears to have a 1960's retro look to it, I like it.
    Last edited by Milaca; 05-29-2010, 06:17 AM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Those look good Ernie. I was thinking about late model Chevy Camero seats in my 63 Avanti restoration but instead I found a set of nice like new condition black leather Recaro buckets and rear seat from a mid 80's Avanti II.
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Ernie

Looks more than close. A nice looking seat

It also looks like the seat is about the same height from the floor as the original? Is it?

Bob

Comment

You're right and because that pleat is generic I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to get the back seat done to match. I want to do the door panels over also. I bought some burled wood from a Vanden Plas Jag on ebay that I want to incorporate on the doors and rear panels. Close color and only $35 for 4 door pieces.

I'm looking for a fake Rolls Grille for the front to complete the Luxo look

ErnieR

Comment

Originally posted by bige View Post
            I'm looking for a fake Rolls Grille for the front to complete the Luxo look
            ErnieR
            I hope your kidding about a fake Rolls Grille .....
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386

Comment

I would have loved to put in a set of Recaros from an Avanti II but nothing was available and Bob wouldn't give me his that look so sweet in that silver car.

The seats were pretty cheap relatively speaking. $292 to my door. Missing the power seat mechanism for the driver but I couldn't use the Mustang stuff anyway.

I used 1" square tube, pre-drilled to lift the seat and that was all I needed to get the right height. Once I decided on how I was going to adapt the tracks it was pretty simple. I had to chase down some Allen head bolts and all metal lock nuts and elongate some holes but all in all the neighbors weren't subjected to too many cuss words.

Click image for larger version

Name:	I PHONE 002.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1662093

ErnieR

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                I hope your kidding about a fake Rolls Grille .....
                But a real one would be too expensive...

Of course I'm kidding the '88 already has a face only a mother or an Avanti nut could love.

Give him time and I bet Milaca will have a Photoshoped Avanti with a Rolls Grill posted here. He put lipstick and earings on it once before...

ErnieR

Comment

Vey nice, Ern-man. It's not easy to get seats that both fit AND look right, especially in an Avanti. Here's what Tom (sbca96) did:

Comment

Originally posted by bige View Post
                    I would have loved to put in a set of Recaros from an Avanti II but nothing was available and Bob wouldn't give me his that look so sweet in that silver car.
                    ErnieR
                    I found a nice set complete with mounting hardware and seat belts. I will not mention the price but I was very happy with it and the individual I dealt with was absolutely one of the nicest SDC's members I've ever dealt with and have yet to meet in person. Hopefully one of these days we will meet and he will be able to see his seats in my car. Here's some pictures:

Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386

Comment

Why did you change the seats? The seats in my 1987 were excellent (in my opinion). I liked them better than the Recaros in Avanti IIs.
                      Last edited by studegary; 05-29-2010, 11:15 AM. Reason: Again, I tried to edit out the duplicate words, but they don't show in the edit version.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Why did you change the seats? The seats in my 1987 were excellent (in my opinion). I liked them better than the Recaros in Avanti IIs.
                        It may not show in the picture but the leather was trashed beyond repair. The car sat stationary for years in SoCal sun. I just couldn't justify the expense of having the originals done over in leather or even vinyl for that matter. I thought the original seats were comfy too, what was left of them.

Comment

In my case I wanted something nicer and more up to date than the original thin padded clam shell seats that were the original 63 seats. The driver seat broke over and reclined back (original Stude seats are not suppose to recline) while driving. Thank goodness I had the presence of mind to hang onto the wheel with two hands and quickly sit upright like sitting on a bench with no back. I want to drive my car after it's restoration so the higher back (neck protection) and shoulder belt set up will be safer and they will look sporty as well.

I'm going with a three tone interior. The dash, upper door, upper trim around roof and back window will all be Fawn vinyl. The lower door panel and console between seats will be a deep red vinyl to match exterior color of car and the seats will be black leather and matching black carpet.
                          sigpic
                          John
                          63R-2386

Comment

OKC63avanti - I can understand your position with 1963 seats. I think that 1963 Avanti seats are among the world's worst buckets. For example, I like the buckets in 1963 Larks much better. I was only questioning bige because the buckets in the front of 1987-1988 Avantis were very good. It turms out that bige agreed, but his seats were shot. In both cases, I can understand the switch in seats.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Finally got to install the driver's seat. I have only one red headrest so I bought to black on ebay and hopefully I can get a new red cover from Ford. If not I'll just dye the black ones. Seats are real comfy but for a tall driver they would probably cause a headroom problem due to thicker and firmer bottom cushions.

ErnieR
                              Last edited by bige; 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X