Next-To-Last Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next-To-Last Studebaker

This 1966 Wagonaire in Harrahs Musuem in Reno is second from the last Studebaker ever made. It is Olive Green metallic, and is a 230 with automatic. Unfortunatley, I was unable to look at the serial number as one has to contact the head mechanic to enter into any of the vehicles on display, and they charge a $100 minimum access fee, and the frame is too rusted underneath to see the secret serial number.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 06-07-2019, 05:56 AM. Reason: Added Photo

It's hard to imagine the frame being rusty as this car look like it drove off the showroom floor yesterday. I don't think I remember ever seeing a 1966 Wagonaire before ....
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Craig , I see on the glove box door there are 2 things that don't look familiar....the thing that seems to have writing on it in the middle of the woodgrain and then just below that there seems to be a silver strip.
      Do you know what this is ?
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Didn't we just read here that "the second from the last Studebaker ever made" was probably one built in Australia, or New Zealand many months after production ceased in Canada?

Comment

Dave , I'd bet if you looked at those later "assembled" cars you'd find the Vin #s earlier then the official last one thats in the museum . They probably were knocked down cars that were shipped overseas before the March 17th date .
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I didn't know that Wagonaires were built in '66. That's a good looking car. Love the '66 grille.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

What a beautiful car! I've always heard about this car but have never seen photos. I've never seen a '66 Stude in that dark of a green color. For some reason, I'm thinking I remember that this car was originally shipped to Tothill Auto Sales in Lockport, NY. (I remember stuff like that, but don't remember what I ate this morning!).

That one piece on the glove box looks like the old "Fasten Seat Belts" stickers/emblems you used to always see.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

There were 940 1966 Wagonaires. By then, all station wagons, with or without sliding roof, were considered to be Wagonaire models (not so in the early years of Wagonaire/wagon).

I would love to own that particular Wagonaire.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Dave is likely correct, but there were no 1966 vehicles assembled in Australia, Our kits ended in 1965. Refer to this link for more details. http://www.studebakercarclub.net/studeaus.htm.

This is my first post to the new forum, nice to be back!
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Wow, that is nice!
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                      Dave is likely correct, but there were no 1966 vehicles assembled in Australia, Our kits ended in 1965. Refer to this link for more details. http://www.studebakercarclub.net/studeaus.htm.

This is my first post to the new forum, nice to be back!
                      'Glad you were able to find your way "in," John. That's a nice write-up by Jim Quigley in the June Turning Wheels, about Aussie-assembled Studebakers from 1960 through the end. I know you don't have it yet, but Jim did a nice job. A few details there I am sure many of us "stateside" did not know. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, The honorable webmeister was of great assistance. Yes, I got the May issue last week. I once asked Jim about the records and was told our now state president had been sent the data, but he says he doesn't have it. Regardless, the article will be good.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thanks for those great pictures Craig, I just love the white interior contrasting with the Green exterior. Sure would be nice to know who was the original owner of this car and how it ended up at Harrah's.

Jonno.

Comment

reno great place

reno great placehttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39680&d=1417632430
                            Attached Files

Comment

I've been to that museum several times when sent to Reno by Greyhound. LOVED IT!! When I went though, one was unable to approach the cars very closely without setting off alarms. Or at least, that's what they told me and I just took their word for it.
                              Last edited by studeclunker; 12-03-2014, 12:49 PM. Reason: remove sig. line
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X