Conasotga Campers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conasotga Campers

Hey folks; Recently I was able to get my dream truck, A 59 Deluxe in red and white. My son has requested I build some sort camper for it. So here is my question; I know Studebaker had some sort camper called the conastoga camper. Anyone know more about this? Was it just for the later trucks or did it go back into the 50's? Any ideas for a period correct looking camper? The boy doesn't know the old man already has a long bed made into a trailer idea in the works. I got a good handle on the trailer part but could use some input on the top. Thanks all Stan

Conestoga Camper

Hi Stan - the factory conestoga camper was made for the 63/64 Champs (8E series) 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Of course by this time these trucks were all sporting the wide P2 bed (if they had a pu bed!). I know that Studebaker did make canvas top for the external fender P1 beds (used on 49-62 pickups).

The Feb. '87 issue of Turning Wheels has the full story on the Champs and some good info and photos on the Conestoga Campers. Good Luck!

BTW - Post some pics of your new C-Cab.
    Last edited by Mark57; 05-28-2010, 05:36 PM. Reason: typo!
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Stan,
      Studebaker dealers offered an accessory top ... some of the guys have fabricatedcanvas lookalike cappers. This excerpt is from Gary Ashes site called studegarage.com.

Peter Sauer, a Canadian SDC member, has built a neat and comfortable fiberglass camper/capper using a modern one on his Champ truck. To accomodate a slightly wider cap he acquired, he added outrigger platforms (just a metal angle about five inches wide to the top edge of his bed. This not only gives him a place to attach his top, it gave him an inside ledge, on which he placed a plywood shelf (across the front half of the truck bed) and a foam mattress on top to make a width-wise double bed - with underneath storage.

A little imagination and some work can provide whatever accomodations you and your son want.
      Last edited by stude53; 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Stan,

Go here: http://studebakerskytop.com/Blogs/?page_id=136

There is a lot of info on down the page on the Conestoga options, and some neat pics.

Edit: click the smaller pics to bring up large pics!
        Last edited by r1lark; 05-28-2010, 07:19 PM. Reason: Add clarifying info.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thanks gents. Great info. I am going to use it as an excellent design starting point. 1/4 pvc pipes bowed into a pre-drilled wooden "bed rail" on both sides with a wally world plastic tarp will just have to do until I build "the keeper". When I figure out how to post pictures I will. I will also see if I can get Texas Hill Country Chapter to throw a picture in their news letter when I am done. They are on line as well. Any of you all going to Glendale? Stan

Comment

Instead of a cheap wallyworld tarp, spend a little more and go to a Army/Navy surplus store and get a real canvas cover, you'll be glad you did in the long run.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Glendale

Originally posted by StanH View Post
              Any of you all going to Glendale? Stan
              I'll be there Mon - Thu.
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

I believe this '52 was on eBay at some time. I saved the pics (5) because I liked the "Conestoga". I have no idea if the truck sold or who it belongs to, but I believe one of the pics had a CA tag on it. I haven't figured out how to do multiple thumbnails yet (sorry.)
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's the rear view.
                  Attached Files

Comment

And finally figured out how to get multiple thumbs.

I don't know who did this but it is nicely done IMHO.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X