Brighter Turn Signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brighter Turn Signals

Here's a trick I learned from Mr. Biggs.

Painted the area behind the lens in the front parking lights/turn signals white. Makes them brighter and more visible...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Great tip, Dick!! One more little project for me to do on my R2 Hawk.
    Terry Stinehelfer
    Bucyrus, OH

Comment

I use tinfoil, shiny side out, form it to fit.

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Painted white is still brighter, been doing that for years on restored vehicles.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Drivers around here are all on their cell phones and don't bother to use turn signals anymore!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

On my 55 C, the reflectors on the front parking lights, and the interior dome light, were white when I took them apart. I wonder if that was factory. Can't see anyone painting a dome light reflector.

Frank Starr
            Seattle

Comment

quote:I use tinfoil, shiny side out, form it to fit.
              Tim, Even a mirror won't reflect as much light as a white surface and won't diffuse it at all.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just finished painting white on tail lights and park/turn lights on a '47 and a '52 a month ago. I've had it in on our Lark for several years. I started doing it in the 60's. L E D conversion works great too........................Brad

Comment

Auto Zone has LED bulbs for 12 volt, Only color is red, they use way less energy and are bright.

Comment

Sorry guys, but I have a hard time believing a white surface will reflect more light than a shiny mirror type surface. If so, I'd think headlights would have white reflectors instead of being chromed. Sure, a white surface will diffuse the light which is great for something like photography but sunlight reflected on a white surface won't put your eye out like a mirror will. Maybe some factory reflectors are white because the direction or taillight isn't supposed to project light like a headlight does but instead is supposed to let you see where something is rather than where it's going.

Comment

time for a light meter......[8D]..........Brad

Comment

Other than headlamps, the reflectors on most (all?) seem to be painted silver. I would this that over time, the white may keep it's intensity longer. I will say this, Eastwoods paint to restore lamp reflectors is silver, same as OEM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I am all for a side by side test. I have read this here, and at other collector car web sites, and I think the gauntlet has been thrown down. Time to get the light meters out and settle this once and for all. Personally, I don't have one. I was thinking of trying out the light reflectivity computer at Sherwin-Williams, but the guy down the street is not interested. Any other ideas?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

quote:I use tinfoil, shiny side out, form it to fit.
                            Tim, Even a mirror won't reflect as much light as a white surface and won't diffuse it at all.
                            My major thought here was I don't have to buy the paint, find the masking tape, tear up the newspaper, wait for it to dry. I just go to the kitchen, grab the tinfoil and in 5 minutes it's back together and brighter than it was. Thanks anyway.

Tim K.
                            '64 R2 GT Hawk
                            Tim K.
                            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

I am all for a side by side test.
                              While you're at it, check the LED replacement bulbs against the regular bulbs. My guess is that the LED's are not as bright. If you had enough LEDs to equal the brightness of a regular bulb, it might just melt a plastic lens [:0]

Also, the LEDs do draw less current. Your blinkers will flash super quick...like you have a bulb out (unless you opt for the $40 solid state flasher).

I've got LED's on my trailer. They are great...a whole bunch of LED's for brightness (and no plastic lens to burn)...plus they come on super quick compared to a regular bulb...but I don't think the LED replacement bulbs are all they are cracked up to be.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X