V8 sparkplug gap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 sparkplug gap?

Are most setting plug gaps at .035 (63 engine) I think the book says .033-.038
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Mr. Z, I usually set toward the tighter tolerance simply because as the electrode burns away, you still are in tolerance and it takes longer to get too wide. At the same time, using Autolites, I have really never had a problem of any kind, just habit I suppose, but .35 should be good for a long time if all systems are normal, John

Comment

And now-days, most of us are running Pertronix Electronic Ignition Systems, so the plug gap should be somewhat wider for those, than the Points type.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, what gap do you set for Pertronix ?
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

There are no specs that I know of, I believe Ted Harbit said he uses .038-.040 but can't be sure because I can't find the Word Doc I thought I saved from the forum.

Someone else will verify this, or NOT, I am sure!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            There are no specs that I know of, I believe Ted Harbit said he uses .038-.040 but can't be sure because I can't find the Word Doc I thought I saved from the forum.

Someone else will verify this, or NOT, I am sure!
            When I bought a Pertronix from Ted he ultimately decided that .040 was best.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The experts at PerTronix are ready to help you choose the perfect high performance ignition and exhaust products. We're enthusiasts too!

Comment

i have pertronix ignition and a 600 cfm afb on a '62 289 - running autolite #437 @ .040 gap - very happy with this set-up.
                61 lark cruiser
                64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

OK, you electrical sleuth's..(and insomniac proof readers)
                  On the Pertronix website listed above/below....
                  In the OMC section, they list a fix to help with the shifting on an OMC outdrive...
                  http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/pdf/diodefix.pdf
                  In the PDF pic they list 'two' diodes in series (see pic link)
                  Why two diodes?

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quick hijack of this thread

I have a pertronix kit installed and plugs @ 40k on a 259 and was wondering if there also is a sweet spot to set timming.
                    I have read were it is a good idea to give it generous amount of advance but I think that was mainly for race /performance.
                    Is there a sweet spot or is evey setup going to be different and will it be more of a trial and error.
                    Or should I just leave it at original specs for timing???

Comment

OK, you electrical sleuth's..(and insomniac proof readers)
                      On the Pertronix website listed above/below....
                      In the OMC section, they list a fix to help with the shifting on an OMC outdrive...
                      http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/pdf/diodefix.pdf
                      In the PDF pic they list 'two' diodes in series (see pic link)
                      Why two diodes?

I can probably take a stab at it. The peak voltage of one of the diodes is 400V 3A before the circuit starts passing electricity, which in this case is also connected to the Pertronix module. The principle is the same with resistors, where if you connect resistors in series, you can increase the resistance in the circuit, and by connecting the resistors in parallel you can increase the amperage in a circuit. In this case by wiring the diodes in series, you go from 400V 3A to being able to hold back 800V 3A. It's also a cheap way to get the specification of a component that you don't readily have in your drawer.
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                      X