Save those wipers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save those wipers!

Does this sound familiar to any of you? You have an old Studebaker, and you'd like to not worry about being caught out in the rain, and/or you just want to have windshield wipers on the car to maintain some semblance of legality. But, you don't like the look of ugly aftermarket wiper blades, so either you kept the original stainless Trico blades which amazingly enough are still on the car, or else you went to York or Reedsville and bought some used wiper blades from one of the parts vendors, figuring you'd put new rubber in them. Unfortunately, finding refills of any kind in a parts store is difficult these days. Here's what works:

If you have a 63-up Lark or Avanti with the 15" wiper blades, and the blades still have the original splines and clips intact, get yourself a set of Trico part no. 43-190, 43-200, or 43-220 refills (you probably will have to order them.) They are long refills but have a spline somewhat similar to the original stainless Trico blades used on our cars. (I was hoping that it would be *so* close that it could be cut down and modified to work in case you had an original blade with non-original spline, but no such luck.) I bought some CarQuest 453-190 refills, which I believe are just a relabel of the Trico 43-190. There was a little dot of glue holding the rubber into the spline, I just broke that with my thumbnail, pulled the rubber out of the spline, and scraped as much as I could off. Then I cut the rubber to length with a razor blade (for a 15" blade, looks like it should be somewhere around 14-5/8" to 14-3/4") removed the original spline from the wiper blade, pulled the rubber into the original spline, and reinstalled. Looks close enough to original from any farther away than a foot or two to fool anyone but a Bloomington Gold show judge, and is the easiest solution I've found to keeping your original wiper blades yet.

I suspect but don't have an example handy to test that this will also work for the 12" blades used on all 56-62 cars and 63-64 Hawks. This would be fantastic if it did as those original Trico blades were never intended to be refilled so your only other options are to remove the original splines and use a universal plastic spline refill modified to fit or else pay $20-something plus S&H for show-correct repro rubber inserts from one of the Corvette parts suppliers (what's on my car now, but when those wear out...)

For the 15" blades, a Trico 43-150 will fit and function, but the spline is not as original and it does bind somewhat as the rubber above the spline is a little larger, so I suspect that using the longer refill with the correct profile extrusion with the original spline as I have described above is preferable, assuming that you still have the original spline and clip.

So don't throw out those original wiper blades, shine 'em up and refill them. If you see a parts car with original blades, grab 'em! Please don't let another nice looking Studebaker fall victim to the Ugly Black Wiper Blade syndrome!

good luck

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Wow, Nate! Nice research and data. Do we have an archive for tech tips?
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey Nate...

What about us folks with C-Cabs?? (10" blades).

Just kiddin'... thanks for the info.

PS: has anyone bought the wiper blades that are frequently listed on eBay in 10" and 12" sizes for Studes?
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

I believe that there is a page for stuff on the SDC site but I just wrote this up and posted it a few minutes ago (so it hasn't been submitted.) If there's any interest I could do a pictorial but honestly, that was so easy once I got the right extrusion that I don't know that it's necessary, except maybe as a spotter's guide to help people differentiate between the exact correct wiper blades and older aftermarket ones that look kind-of correct. I already added the part nos. to the spreadsheet but have not PDF-ized it and uploaded it yet. Gotta go offline for a few, it's trash day and also the warranty hard drive for my laptop just showed up (but, of course, I was excited about finding another good Studebaker part number that I had to refill the blade I stole from JDP to see if it'd work before starting on either... Priorities, you know. This whole thing got started when he asked me to get the wipers working on his Avanti project and I realized that I'd just grabbed the last two original blades that still had rubber in them off of his shelf, and I must be mildly OCD because when I get ahold of an idea like this...)

Y'know, if any eeeeeevil vendor knows someone at Trico and could buy that extrusion in bulk, it might make for a nice swap-meet item. Feel free to steal that idea, I have too much going on to try to vend anything myself. Or maybe young Mr. Burnette could start polishing and refilling wiper blades to sell?
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Mark, I know that Trico does sell a "Classic series" wiper blade that's pretty close, but you can tell the difference because at least in the 12" size I believe that they have a double attachment for both the bayonet style (56-up) and "wrist action" ('55 and presumably earlier) arms. The absolute correct original ones have only the one correct attachment, and therefore the wiper arms sit closer to the cowl for a nicer look. The 15" repro ones *might* be better, I don't know. If you insist on the absolute best most likely a Corvette vendor would have exact repros (I'm 99% sure that the 15" blades are the same as an early C2 'vette; I know that the 12" blades are the same as a C1 'vette and I think 56-57 T-bird as well, and exact repros of those are available from at least one Corvette vendor.)

I don't know about the 10" blades, because I don't have any to try, nor do I have a good mental picture of what they look like. I should be able to scavenge a 12" blade next time I'm over at JDP's, and I have some correct 11" '55 blades in a box of my stuff over there as well.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

bought my c cab blades at a napa took some digging, been a while let me look up the application and I'll get back to you

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
            What about us folks with C-Cabs?? (10" blades).

Just kiddin'... thanks for the info.

PS: has anyone bought the wiper blades that are frequently listed on eBay in 10" and 12" sizes for Studes?

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

That is Great information for CASO's or someday when the Studebaker Vendors are gone, but for now it's a lot easier to just order the correct polished stainless steel 10", 11", or 12" Blades or 15" Refills ($4.12 1/2 cents each)!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wiper Blades

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                That is Great information for CASO's or someday when the Studebaker Vendors are gone, but for now it's a lot easier to just order the correct polished stainless steel 10", 11", or 12" Blades or 15" Refills ($4.12 1/2 cents each)!
                Rich - I'll likely put you to the test at the Zone Meet in September. Unless of course, someone makes me an offer I can't refuse in Glendale next week!
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Rich, I'm not trying to torque off any vendors here, it just seems that I can often find original blades for dirt cheap and I just like using original stuff! (what's a CASO again?)

I *can* tell the difference between a repro blade and an original one... not that the repros are bad, and I dare anyone to tell the difference from five feet away. No, I don't feel like being a judge :P (and besides, the day someone actually gets points deducted for non-original but polished stainless blades is a day I don't really want to see. I do this stuff for me, not for judges...)

nate
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Nate,

Well researched AND well written. AND you even used PARAGRAPHS, unlike so many who have never heard that word!

Thank you VERY much!

John

Comment

I find myself very lucky , My Scottsman came special order with electric wipers and the blades are easy to find . So I have good wipers and their quite too. :>)

Comment

Glad you brought this up! When I replaced the blades last year I discovered that the new blades wear a powdered metal finish, not the Chrome of the original blades. As the fates have it, I kept the old blades just in case I had the time to fiddle with them at a later date!

Comment

Originally posted by stude62 View Post
                          Glad you brought this up! When I replaced the blades last year I discovered that the new blades wear a powdered metal finish, not the Chrome of the original blades. As the fates have it, I kept the old blades just in case I had the time to fiddle with them at a later date!
                          I believe the matte finish blades are correct for 1966 cars and I would assume Avanti IIs as well. I think the reasoning behind that was to reduce the possibility of being blinded by sun glare off of the wipers.

nate
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Most Shucks stores will have 10 inch blades with the double hooks ast thes blades were used for so many jeeps for four deckades.
                            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                            61 V8 Tcab
                            63 Tcab 20R powered
                            55 Commander Wagon
                            54 Champion Wagon
                            46 Gibson Model A
                            50 JD MC
                            45 Agricat
                            67 Triumph T100
                            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

NAPA got mine for me... They keep some in stock in the Davenport Iowa store... now if they only had Avanti wiper arms........
                              Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X