Sometimes it just works out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it just works out

It's no surprise to most of you that I've been putting together an Avanti driver. My choice was an 83 that I found on the Avanti website.

I asked some questions on this website, got a lot of answers and a lot of in-site from a number of you members.

My choice was an SBC which I was lucky to find at a bargain price with355 cu in, Al heads, Big valves, and 272 duration roller cam. Added an Edelbrock thunder 650cfm carb and an MSD street ready HEI distributor.

The biggest decision was the tranny and rear end setup. I'm glad I took Mike Van Veghten's suggestion of a 200R4 and 4.10 posi rear.

The transmission was built by the same guy that I bought the engine from with essentially Stage 2 innards to handle over 400 HP. The rear end is the original Dana 44 with an Auburn Pro Series posi and a set of Richmond 4.10 gears built by a local race quality rear end builder.

Assembled the whole gamish this spring after collecting parts all winter. I've spent the last few weeks sorting out the carb, adjusting timing and other final adjustments somewhat clouded by bad plugs.

I've got more to go but it was in it's first show last week (No Prizes, well a tee shirt) but a lot of compliments and a major suprise here in the middle of GM country where most of the folks recognized the name. In fact, one gal said she grew up in South Bend and this was the first Stude she's seen in years. She asked what kind of mileage it got. I said I doesn't matter. Her husband said it was better that his (A 582 BBC in a 57 Chevy). I'll agree.

What I now have my hands on is the fastest driver I've owned since my 442 powered 65 F-85 Olds I bought new in 65.

This thing is exactly what I dreamed about last fall. A quality 10 footer that go to beat stink and is fun to drive any where at any time. Cold start is great, runs 190F forever and does 75 at 2500 RPM.

I planned to put a long drive video on the site but they all seem to shake because I refuse to drive one handed and hold a camera.

Here's the best so far. Not a flat out Banzai (that will wait for more miles) but just a quick fun example.

I'm so happy I could $#@*.

Bob

Congrats Bob, you've built what I hope to turn my 88 into.

I've said this here before but the right Avanti II with the right mods ( like yours ) could be one of the best driver/cruiser vehicles of all. Unique styling, comfy, Chevy oomph at Chevy prices and great club support. And if you maintain the underbody NO RUST!

Enjoy!

ErnieR

Comment

Sounds like a great car.
      I enjoy my stock 63...and will enjoy it more if it ever gets out of the restoration shop.

BUT..if I was younger and more handy with tools, I'd love to get a post-Studebaker Avanti II and and do it up as a real resto-mod with emphasis on drivability and comfort as opposed to just raw power.
      Try to optimize it as a real Luxury GT. If I had Jay Leno money, I'd use a Mercedes drivechain and suspension.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Lookin good. That combo should be reliable and fun for a long time.
        The video proably wouldn't be so shaky if you weren't on a typical Michigan road.

Comment

Working...
        X