Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the Archives #69 (1963 Auto Show Avanti etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #69 (1963 Auto Show Avanti etc)

Will be posting fewer pics now that the weather is more conducive to out door activities.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thanks Richard, very neat '63 Auto Show Pic. of the new '64 Different by Design Studebakers.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Thanks Richard, very neat '63 Auto Show Pic. of the new '64 Different by Design Studebakers.
      Where do you see a 1964 Studebaker in that shot?

That G.T. Hawk in the foreground is that "Black Hawk" showcar made for auto shows. The stark white interior is the dead giveaway.

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 05-25-2010, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the picture Richard. I've seen that one many times but never in color. It's a great addition to the ones you have posted in the past. Appreciate all that you post here.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Wish I could have been there
          Tom
          sigpic

Comment

I 'think' the Avanti is a square headlight car. See top r/s of the drivers side light. Stu

Comment

Something that strikes me about this picture is the number of men in jacket and tie. Wouldn't see that today, at least in this part of the country.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

After closer inspection of the photo, it appears that the guy in front of the drivers side light has a strap over his left shoulder which could indicate something other than a square light. In addition, the steering wheel is tan, not the darker '64 wheel color. But then again, the 63/64 parts book does not give a serial number color change. Stu

Comment

I think the '63 Lark pretty much answers the question of model year for the cars.
                  Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Richard. Much appreciated.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                      Something that strikes me about this picture is the number of men in jacket and tie. Wouldn't see that today, at least in this part of the country.
                      Believe it was at the Chicago Auto Show preview ...so that was a V.I.P. (jacket & tie) sort of event. Of course I could be wrong ....memory is not what it was back then.

Comment

Richard,
                        Thanks for the photo. I'd say that you're entitled to enjoy the great outdoors. Go for it.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Ya got me Craig!

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Where do you see a 1964 Studebaker in that shot?

That G.T. Hawk in the foreground is that "Black Hawk" showcar made for auto shows. The stark white interior is the dead giveaway.
                          Craig
                          Sorry, I missed that small piece of a '63 Lark left front fender. That is the main clue, since nothing is visible to I.D. the Avanti.
                          Not much can be seen of the "Black Hawk" which I do not remember anyway, must have been a "one off" failure, show car. The Interior is indistinguishable as Silver Blue, Silver or what, it does not resemble any kind of seats, so just a blur.

But, I sure thought that Vinyl half roof was a dead giveaway to it being a '64!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cool picture! I love the huge STUDEBAKER sign; if that was in my shop, it would be downright hypnotic!!!

Comment

Gee to me it looks like the photo has been been been touched up around the studebaker sign, the size of the people in the background seems a little inconsistant

Comment

Working...
                              X