Engine weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine weight?

Hi every one. I have just bought a second hand engine stand. Says it will support 1250lb. Is that sufficiant for a Stude V8?
    Thanks,
    Dave Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
    1925 ER Tourer
    1925 Panel Delivery
    1953 Champion Sedan
    1957 Golden Hawk
    1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

That should work Dave. From what I remember a Stude V8 weighs around 750 lbs. I have what was called a "heavy duty" engine stand that was supposed to handle 1000 lbs but the plate that the arms are bolted to was too thin & the engine bent that plate making turning the engine upside down impossible for one person, never tried to do it with a helper lifting the crank pulley.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The Stude V8 weighs 625-675 lbs. complete to flywheel depending on accessories. You are not going to have starter, generator, some brackets and other little garbage on the engine while it is on the stand. So if it will hold a BBC it will hold a Stude V8.

Comment

Wait a minute: are those Australian pounds? We're always making small errors on the metric conversion (we missed Mars that way, once), plus, I guess all Americans just assume that Oz Lbs. would pull the other way, being on the other side and all...

You can't be too careful.

Comment

Should be good then! Thank you. Oh, I think that they are Aussie pounds, what ever they are. I work in kilos. LOL.
          Dave Pink
          Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
          1925 ER Tourer
          1925 Panel Delivery
          1953 Champion Sedan
          1957 Golden Hawk
          1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
          http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

You gotta be careful with the "1000LB" rating on any engine stand. The best one to get is one that's "Diesel Rated" or some such. Case in point, I bought one of those 1000LB AC Delco engine stand from Oreilly's and it couldn't hold my straight eight, but another 1000LB stand that I had held it just fine. It was also a lot better built, and a lot thicker construction. Try to get one that's got a geared crank on the back of it too, as it makes turning the engine over a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
            X