Trim Trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Trick

Leonard posted that picture on the Forum a few months ago. I'm glad he was able to share it with all SDC members, most of whom are unable to access this site.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Leonard posted that picture on the Forum a few months ago. I'm glad he was able to share it with all SDC members, most of whom are unable to access this site.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Trim Trick

This might be common knowledge already, but I'll pass it on anyway.

I'm putting the stainless back on the GT Hawk. The normal fastners for the top of fender/top of door trim are those on the left in the photo below. The good news about them is that they are fast. You snap them into the trim rail, line them up on the holes in the body, and push on the trim piece. Done. The bad news is that there is no adjustment possible. the trim from the rear quarter may not line up with the trim on the door and that may not line up with the trim on the front fender.

I had a bunch of the fastners on the right in the photo below. I don't remember where I got them, but I think they are not Studebaker and are probably "generic". Looks like they fit a wide variety of stainless moldings.

The bad news about using these is that you need U-Jointed wrists to put the washer and nut on some of them. The good news is the bolt can move in the slot so that you can perfectly align your trim.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I recall having seen those fastners on a Che*y molding. Just a clue as to where to look for more of them.

Randy_G
        South Bend or Bust 2007!
        God I miss chrome on cars.
        This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

I recall having seen those fastners on a Che*y molding. Just a clue as to where to look for more of them.

Randy_G
          South Bend or Bust 2007!
          God I miss chrome on cars.
          This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

I think that perfectly aligned door and door trim will cost you some points for originality!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I think that perfectly aligned door and door trim will cost you some points for originality!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I have some clips like those. I used them on a 55 Ford.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

I have some clips like those. I used them on a 55 Ford.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                  As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Ain't it the truth

BTW, Leonard...great inside cover photos in the April TW. Thanks for sharing them with all of us. I especially like the "train wreck". Cute girls on the fire truck. I wonder if any of us own one of those banged up C/K's? It is almost surreal to see so many of them on their noses in the train cars.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Ain't it the truth

BTW, Leonard...great inside cover photos in the April TW. Thanks for sharing them with all of us. I especially like the "train wreck". Cute girls on the fire truck. I wonder if any of us own one of those banged up C/K's? It is almost surreal to see so many of them on their noses in the train cars.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

These clips are universal 't-bolts' available at body shop supply stores in many different sizes.In those few spots where you cannot put a nut on behind them,you can use a barrel clip in the hole,then push the stud of this clip into the barrel. You can also cut these down with a sharp pair of tin snips to fit a narrower mldg.
                        I haven't had to buy any Stude specific clips,except the tiny ones for the fin strips on the Hawk.

LaSalle,Il
                        61Hawk
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

These clips are universal 't-bolts' available at body shop supply stores in many different sizes.In those few spots where you cannot put a nut on behind them,you can use a barrel clip in the hole,then push the stud of this clip into the barrel. You can also cut these down with a sharp pair of tin snips to fit a narrower mldg.
                          I haven't had to buy any Stude specific clips,except the tiny ones for the fin strips on the Hawk.

LaSalle,Il
                          61Hawk
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Most of my "Stude" clips had a small rubber washer, which would end up on top of the sheet metal (under the stainless). I expect the washers were supposed to seal the hole in the fender. If so, they didn't work too well.
                            /H

Comment

Most of my "Stude" clips had a small rubber washer, which would end up on top of the sheet metal (under the stainless). I expect the washers were supposed to seal the hole in the fender. If so, they didn't work too well.
                              /H

Comment

Working...
                              X