Need a reach rod for 4bbl carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a reach rod for 4bbl carb

I need a part for Bess. I have everything except the connector-rod that screws into the main throttle reach-rod. The two-barrels have a shorter one and that's what I currently have. My carb came with a broken one and I need a replacement:

I've called Studebaker International about this and they are completely clueless as to what I'm talking about. Can anyone help here?
    Last edited by studeclunker; 05-21-2010, 03:17 PM. Reason: title off
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Ron, I have a decent used one (the whole rod with ends) here that would be REAL cheap. Measures 9.5 inches total length.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mbstude; 05-21-2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

That would be great, Matt! Please make sure though that it's for the 4bbl and not 2. As can be seen in the picture there is a considerable size difference. Send me a P.M. or e-mail and let me know what you want.

Thanks for riding to the rescue so quickly. Now all I need is the nib for the gas line. Seems there were several small but very important bits missing from this carb.
      Ron Smith

Comment

I compared it to the rod on my Stude. Mine is an AFB setup from '63. This rod is close but not quite the same.

What carb are you running? WCFB?
        Last edited by mbstude; 05-21-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I would not go so far as to say, 'running,' yet, LOL! But yes, it's a WCFB Carter. I believe the original donor (manifold and carb) was a '57 Hawk.
          Ron Smith

Comment

Alright, good deal. My granddad's 57 Hawk still has its WCFB; I'll compare this rod with the one on his car and get back to ya. In fact I'll go do that now. I want to run by the shop as we had a bad thunder/hail storm this afternoon and lots of trees are down in the area. Luckily the ole '58 didn't suffer any damage from the hail...

Comment

Actually, Matt, if the '58 was built like modern cars, you'd be in trouble (LOL)!

EDIT:

WHOH, WHOH, WHOH... You're going to take this off your Granddad's Hawk? I sure hope it's a parts car or we'll both get skinned (LOL)! Yeah, well assuming it's a parts car, then there's another little bit I need too. There's a rod that goes from the Throttle arm to the Choke baffle (it has a clamp for adjustment). I'm missing the little bolt that goes in it. If you don't have that available, no big. I was going to Ace for a replacement on that.

So the three parts I need are: the reach rod, the fuel nib and that little bolt (for the Choke baffle adjustment clamp).
              Last edited by studeclunker; 05-21-2010, 04:03 PM. Reason: Lightening just struck my brain (and it hurt too!)!
              Ron Smith

Comment

Not quite Ron. I drove to the shop to COMPARE the one I have (not on a car) to the rod on my Granddad's car. I checked mine against two cars, both V8 WCFB's and the rod I have is the one you need.

Comment

No surprise about your comment about SI. I hear the same when I call.
                  I just sold three parts cars last weekend. My 57 wagon had the part.
                  You could of had it for hardly nothing. Sorry

Comment

Working...
                  X