Fuel filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filters

I was driving my '40 down the road the other day. All was fine, the engine was running smooth, nice day, going about '45 down state road 20, and then the engine boggs down and quits! So I rolled it to a stop and wonder what the heck just happened?! It did restart, but under driving pressure, it would bog down. Long story short, I ended up calling DieselJim and we towed it back to his house with a log chain. (It's good to know good people!!) Thanks Jim and James!! Anyway, we first thought it was the points. So the cap was pulled off, sanded the points, and it didn't start. So after the points were rebuilt, I took my mom along for a road test. Guess what... 40mph and it quits!! Now I'm really confuesd. So I limped it back going 15mph in a 55 zone with my flashers on (1/2 mile) and parked it in Jims yard again. Then Jim told me it had to be the fuel filter. I forgot about that. My '40 actually has dual filters. One by the carb, and the other right before the fuel pump. I had already replaced the one by the carb, but not the one by the pump. So off to the local NAPA I go... I get a new filter, install it, and the difference is like night and day! It runs and dosen't stall at all! I tested the old one too. It had so much crud in it, that I couldn't blow thru it. Let alone gas flow thru it! The point of this story, EVERYBODY CHECK YOUR FUEL FILTERS!!! lol.
    Chris Dresbach

You might want to check your gas tank, also. The pick up tube in my '61 was so clogged it would run for about a mile until the carb couldn't keep up, but it would still idle.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

The gas tank is one of the next things on my list. I plan on completely draining it and the radiator sometime later this year and having them cleaned a resealed. There's a place in town that we send all of that stuff to when we are working on tractors. They do a really good job with that. And I have seen the crud on the botton of my gas tank. Ick!!
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris, you will listen to the old man. Jim

Comment

Working...
        X