1959 National Drags video with three Stude moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 National Drags video with three Stude moments

Hope this works. Bob Palma posted this on Sonny's site. I enjoyed it so much I thought I'd post it here. No, the Studes aren't racing. See if you find the three Studes I did. And as a bonus: At 9:28 there is an International (IHC) trailer-toter-type vehicle! Note the chopped off nose and short wheelbase. This is a long video. Make sure you have a half-hour to burn!

Made for hot rod fans; explains how to prepare and enter a car show; also serves as an ethnographic account of the "nomadic tribe of hotrodders".
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Looks like a 41 champion on the top of that car hualer. I wonder what is under that hood. He said 5 hotrods and that was in his caravan. Also I'm thinking the toter type truck was likely a push truck.
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Cool video!

In the Competition Coupe Class, Bob Andrews from Ohio won when the competition blew his Engine!

That guy gets around!

This is at 20.02 minutes into the video.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Didn't Art Arfons set some speed records at Bonneville?
        1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Did anyone on the forum attend this event besides me? I certainly remember it clearly though I cannot say I remember the Studebakers. I did not buy my first one until Sept 1962. I went with my brother and another friend and we drove up in a '50 Olds. No Interstates to speak of. The strip had but one source of drinking water (a hose) and it was sulfur water. The place reeked of rotten eggs! We stayed at the YMCA and ate 10c burgers. Top eliminator was a Lincoln powered rail. Also remember the Ramchargers Plymouth Coupe with the wild headers. I believe I may still have the program around some place. A great film that brought back lots of memories.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I bought my first Studebaker in 1959 and was allready attending the drags. (not nationally)I do remember the wild Plymouth coupe and the Ramchargers cars from car magazines. As a matter of fact the crew at Hot Rod magazine is currently building a Plymouth coupe much like that car with the wild headers as a Tribute" car.

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            Did anyone on the forum attend this event besides me? I certainly remember it clearly though I cannot say I remember the Studebakers. I did not buy my first one until Sept 1962. I went with my brother and another friend and we drove up in a '50 Olds. No Interstates to speak of. The strip had but one source of drinking water (a hose) and it was sulfur water. The place reeked of rotten eggs! We stayed at the YMCA and ate 10c burgers. Top eliminator was a Lincoln powered rail. Also remember the Ramchargers Plymouth Coupe with the wild headers. I believe I may still have the program around some place. A great film that brought back lots of memories.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I didn't make that one but did participate in 1957 & 1958 when the race was in Oklahoma City.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                I didn't make that one but did participate in 1957 & 1958 when the race was in Oklahoma City.

Denny L
                Denny, I did not make those as I was still a babe in my mothers arms. You must really be old!?
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Older than dirt

Denny L

Comment

Working...
                  X