Future of Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race

The possibility (but now, maybe not certainty!) of 2010 being the last Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race has been discussed previously. Things are looking up, albeit cautiously. You can follow the goings-on on the Buick V-8 Pure Stock Drags forum:

Last edited by BobPalma; 05-19-2010, 08:21 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Hope things start looking up soon! I really want to make it one of these days! (And if I can race a car in it, even better!)
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Advanced Posting

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

(I still don't "see" how to use italics, bold face, etc., on the new forum, but I'm sure I'll figure it out in due time!) BP
      Seems diplomatic enough Bob. You just have to get into the "advanced" posting mode to use the goodies to enhance your post.
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

I just booked my room yesterday at the AmeriInn in Greensville , about 10 miles from the strip . If anyone is looking for a room they still have some 616-754-4500 , don't wait too long rooms are hard to get in that area .
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Cheatin' and Racin' and the concept of Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags

It is to be hoped a way will be found to continue the PSMCD venue for Studes to have a place to race.

I've only been in and around racing for fifty years, so anything before then is hearsay. The observed fact is, if you've got racing, someone is staying up nights trying to find a way to cheat/beat the other guys. From the first NASCAR (National Association of STOCK CAR Auto Racing) and NHRA Stock Classes, every major meet had disqualifications for cheating. With all the years and cars racing in the PSMCD, it is impossible for volunteer tech inspectors to know, see and prove what is Pure Stock.

FWIW, most of the magazine road tests from the 1960s were run with factory-supplied cheater cars. The 1964 Pontiac GTO road test cars GM supplied the magazines had dyno-tuned 421" engines instead of the stock 389". Car and Driver did a comparison test of factory-furnished examples of the 1966 Ford Fairlane GT, Mercury Cyclone GT, Buick Special GS, Chevrolet Chevelle SS and Pontiac GTO. Of the test cars, the Buick was the only stocker in the bunch.

I'd venture a guess Ted's cars and maybe most of the other Studes would be among the few PSMCD competitors which would pass a complete teardown inspection. Over the years, working with BrandX racers, I've watched them lobby to get later parts approved for stock classes. They all whine, "But it is so hard to find the original parts from the '60s." As a result, many are running later OEM parts or completely aftermarket parts.

In talking with a couple of the PSMCDers, they just got tired of the hassles. The losers cry and demand, "Catch those cheaters." The obvious cheater/winners will say, "But everyone knows this was a legal option - anyway, we don't have a teardown rule here - and prove I was sandbagging - ha, ha!" I wouldn't have their responsibilities if I were paid big bucks, much less taking that kind of grief as a volunteer.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed for good luck. Also, let the PSMCD guys know they have our appreciation for taking on an impossible task. Again, hope this all sorts itself out and some version of PSMCD is around for a long time.

thnx, jack vines
          Last edited by PackardV8; 05-19-2010, 09:17 AM.
          PackardV8

Comment

Psmcdr

Thanks, Bob, for your letter in support of the PSMCDR. I'm sure all SDCers who compete or attend wish Dan Jensen and Bob Boden well. They have a tough job in that it would be nearly impossible to tear down and inspect maybe 150entrants.

The Plain Brown Wrapper has had an engine rebuild. The engine builder who worked on it has a number of national awards recognizing him for his expertise. As he was taking it apart, his question was "Now, why are we taking this engine apart?" It looked that good, even after about 400 quarter mile runs, which is a testimony both to sound Studebaker engineering and the quality of the 1994 rebuild by the same firm (Auto Machine, of St. Charles, IL).

The R3 is now back together, waiting for detailing and some paint work under the hood. It was sonic-tested and bored a legal .045", for a displacement of nearly 312 CID. PSMCDR rules allow up to .070". Studebaker factory information was correct in referring to R3 blocks as "specially selected and hand-built". Sonic testing revealed that the block will take even a larger bore for future rebuilds.

People who don't know much about Studebakers often ask if the Stude 289 is a Ford engine. Now we'll confuse them even more with a 312!

We hope to get the Wrapper running and back at the Pure Stock Drags this September, just in case this would be the last year for the event.

George
            george krem

Comment

George, isn't going from a 289 Windsor to a 312 Y Block regressing? Or is there an advantage to the McCulloch on the 312 over the Paxton on the 289? And does this violate any of the PSMCDR rules???? LOL

"Sarcasm, I'm laying it on pretty thick." Tommy Boy.
              R2Andrea

Comment

Well, with the deeper 6-quart R3 oil pan and looking at it from behind, I guess you could call it a Y Block. Is there any significance to the fact that your post number was 289?

George
                george krem

Comment

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
                  Is there any significance to the fact that your post number was 289?

George
                  Statistically or Numerologically?
                  Last edited by R2Andrea; 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM.
                  R2Andrea

Comment

Actually I'm trying to figure out how to reach post 304.5.
                    R2Andrea

Comment

Great letter, Bob, as usual. But, uh, Grandpa, what was a "phone booth"?

Comment

Having only attended the PSMCDR this last year, I must admit to being at a disadvantage when it comes to the historical squabbles over rules and their enforcement. That being said, I have been racing various formats for 40 odd years and the "winners" are always thought to be cheating by the "losers". To me, the best part of the PSMCDR event was it made no difference if you were the worst cheater with the fastest car or the most stock slow car. No money purses, no trophies, no prizes for "winners" or "losers". Since cars are paired by qualifying times, not by classifications, a better case could be made against "cheaters" not running all out during qualifying than those with non-stock equipment. Although there is a breakout rule, 0.30 seconds is a long way in the quarter mile. The bottom line for me, and argueably, only me, is the organisers have put a lot of time and effort into producing an event which, at best, grosses $50,000 in entries and gate receipts. They have successfully, in my book, gotten to a format that ends up in close, side-by-side passes of cars I love. They look like I remember, sound like I remember, run quite a bit faster, take me back to a better age, and make me wonder what could have been "if only". The format isn't to find the fastest "stock" car in the country, or the best driver. It does, however, make for the best show on wheels.
                        Jim
                        Often in error, never in doubt
                        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great letter, Bob, as usual. But, uh, Grandpa, what was a "phone booth"?
                          A phone booth......
                          Looks great in a house, shop, garage, or can be used in a sadistic application of putting some people in there from a routine college joke .....

Yall should know I'm 28 years old and I know what a phone booth is. Now that's really twisted.....
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Wow, a grandpa at 28! So, how do you call anybody on that phone? It doesn't have any buttons. Or screen.

Next I suppose you'll try to tell us there was a "book" full of phone numbers that sat on that shelf...
                            and don't even start that business about it costing a nickel.

[I'd rather see five phones in the bar than five bars on the phone.]

Comment

That phone pictured could be conscrued as a "Mobil phone"
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                              X