PDA

View Full Version : Pole Barn

Gordy911
08-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I am going to build a 30x50x10 pole building to keep my stuff in I had one that size in Michigan and it seemed to work pretty good but it didnt have to double as a garage for drivers. I had light banding around the top to let light in which really helped thinking about puttin in a pit and also a spot for a lift..any one else got any good ideas i am missing

62 GT Hawk
84 vette
31 Ford Pickup
2005 Maxima
2006 CTSV
Gravely 17hp Pro
Gravely Walker 10HP

Lark8girl
08-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Nix the pit, they can fill with carbon monxide and thats no warning to you and really bad can happen

I built a 12 ft ceiling and my lift just fits, it go 13 or 14 can put the lift in higher and walk under the car. With my 12 ft, I lift the car and use a shop stool with wheels,
Also I insulated and lined my building with steel. Really cozy in winter and cool in summer. Go with 4 to 6 in cement floor and paint it in six months or so with Rusteloum garage floor epoxy, then you can keep it clean and looks so good.
Also where the lift goes dig out the dirt, and make Pads under the floor level, for lift to screw into. Appox 3ft sq.

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Gordy911
08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey thanks for the tip dont suppose you would send me some pics of your garage for refrence.

62 GT Hawk
84 vette
31 Ford Pickup
2005 Maxima
2006 CTSV
Gravely 17hp Pro
Gravely Walker 10HP

rockne10
08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
quote:any one else got any good ideas i am missingI've got a great idea about where it should be located.:D

I would run utilities through an underground conduit. Feeding future amenities would be a breeze.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Clem64
08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Had a 30x50 pole bldg. before I retired, moved and downsized (shure do miss it). Had lots of florescent lights hanging from above and did all the wiring myself. I highly recommend that you wire the overhead lighting in three banks with three switches. There are lots of times when you only need lighting in one area of your shop and it saves on electric bills and replacing tubes.

Dean Croft
Roseburg,OR

CLEM http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x56/Clem64/Clem64Forum1A.jpg http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x56/Clem64/CIMG1894sm.jpg DESEE

BobPalma
08-05-2008, 10:14 PM
:) Call Morton Buildings and pay the price; "quality is remembered long after price is forgottten."

I know individual salesman are just that, individuals. But mine listened to me and I wound up with exactly what I wanted, even though a few things were out of the ordinary. "No problem" for Morton; they don't call 'em custom built for nothing! :)BP

Studeman
08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I have to concur with BP. My parents (Erie, Pa) purchased a 54' x 90' Morton Pole Barn in 1974 for their horses. It is still in great condition inside and out.. with virtually no maintainance. It easily survived the record snow-loads of 1977 and 1981. I made it a point to look for rot a couple years ago- when I was considering buying some property and putting one up. I couldn't find any rot anywhere, not even where the poles were put into the concrete. They are well built, and very reasonable priced.

http://www.ncsdc.com/TEMP/azavatar.gif
Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

kurtruk
08-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I too say nix the pit. Flammable fluids, droplight, fumes, water--they all are gonna end up there. Bad news. Auto Restorer magazine a few years back had an excellent article on the hazards associated with a pit in your shop.[B)]

KURTRUK
(read it backwards)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2617723594_889afb71cf_t.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2412/2267352617_720245049a_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2679715309_563ea85e42_m.jpg

Gordy911
08-06-2008, 04:48 AM
excellent ideas The pit is gone will put the money in good lift and beef up the floor in area it will go.

62 GT Hawk
84 vette
31 Ford Pickup
2005 Maxima
2006 CTSV
Gravely 17hp Pro
Gravely Walker 10HP

bams50
08-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Good comments! I'm trying to decide on how I'll build my dream addition to my existing 30x44 garage. I'm trying to decide from pole barn, Morton-type building, or one of those kit steel buildings, like General Steel. I have a buddy who swears by one kit company- he's built himself a few buildings.

Mine is now likely a couple years off, but I'm still researching.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Lark8girl
08-06-2008, 10:22 PM
A few more ideas, put the electrical in conduit,
I mixed quartz and fluresent lamps with good results.
A local Amish lumber company did the building plans, and had a Amish crew build it. I went to see some of his buildings first.
He did an excellant job.
Would suggest a steel roof. If shingles blow off its a job to replace them. Think about going green with a cistern for the rain water. Plumb in any drains in floor even if you doubt you will use them.
I put underground electrical and LP gas, and buried the gas tank,
it looks so nice to have a clean look to the site. Put electrial meter on side of building away from road view. My wireless phone works well using master unit in house. Think about if you want phone and satellite wires and bury them in trench for water or electrical.
Plan ahead where all goes underground and allow for expansion of building later.
Be sure you are building to local codes and keep inspection documentatation as proof for when you ever sell property.
The only thing I forgot was to have a outside drain pipe for my dehumidifer. Even with thick plastic under cement in the right conditions the floor will be wet. A small dehumidifier takes care of that very well.

husband of Lark VIII girl

rodnutrandy
08-10-2008, 11:38 PM
this is small thing. In my 30 x40 pole barn ,I set 4 pipes in the concrete that I could put 2 big spring u bolts in. My idea was to put them in to keep my drive on ramps from skidding as I pulled on them.. I never have used them for that,but have hooked a come a long many times to the u bolts to pull a disabled vehicle in building. when I don't need the u-bolts ,you don't notice the holes in floor.I built a light brown building with a dark brown steel roof. Seller told me I didn't want the dark roof(heat). I told him roof is completely shaded in summer and helps in winter when leaves are gone.Works fine.

Randy Wilkin
1946 M5 Streetrod
Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

bams50
08-11-2008, 05:34 AM
Depending on the extent of work you may do in there, you might consider putting PEX tubing in the floor for a future possible boiler (depnding on what the climate is where you are- you didn't say). Not awfully expensive, and this is your one chance to do it.

No idea what the codes are at your location, but here they no longer allow floor drains; you have to just pitch the concrete toward the doors. Yet another stupid rule[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

studegary
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Asa Hall did a lot of research on buildings and ended up with a Morton, like Bob P. did.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer