PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt back from the body shop...

Bill Pressler
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
...from its collision with my Lark (posted here July 2).

Mind you, this Cobalt was six weeks old and I hadn't even washed it once yet (rainy season here).

I am a nutcase about proper placement of emblems, etc. Not a day goes by that I don't see an otherwise excellent-looking vehicle with an emblem in the wrong place...showing body work (isn't the idea of good body work that you can't tell there's been body work??).

I didn't think they'd have to replace any emblems on my car, but the little "GM" badge on the left front fender is probably 1/2 inch higher than the one on the right fender.

Is this lazy or what? Back it goes tomorrow.

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

lstude
07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Some things bother me and some things don't, but when I had my truck inspected the mechanic put the sticker on crooked. I told him that I couldn't look at it for a whole year so I paid him to put a new one on.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

JRoberts
07-24-2008, 09:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by lstude

Some things bother me and some things don't, but when I had my truck inspected the mechanic put the sticker on crooked. I told him that I couldn't look at it for a whole year so I paid him to put a new one on.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

I would have expected it to be redone, but not to have to pay to have it done correctly. You are a better man than I am.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

DEEPNHOCK
07-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Are you sure it wasn't built that way?[}:)][:0];)
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler
<snip>
I didn't think they'd have to replace any emblems on my car, but the little "GM" badge on the left front fender is probably 1/2 inch higher than the one on the right fender.
<snip>

Bill Pressler
07-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I notice right away. I took it back this morning and waited while they removed it and put it back. They did say they had removed it to do the repair. They were cheerful enough about it and did a good job this second time, and the paint and other repairs look very good.

I think that kind of thing used to happen on the line...I used to not-all-that-infrequently see a wrong nameplate on a brand-new car, or a different trim level on one side and another on the other side from the factory, but usually not wrong location of emblems. I haven't seen an obvious factory goof like that in years...but I daily see body-shop "oops" things like that!

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Are you sure it wasn't built that way?[}:)][:0];)
Jeff[8D]

<snip>
<snip>

studegary
07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
When the new 1999 Chrysler 300Ms came out, we had one on the showroom floor in front of the sales manager and within my sight. It was probably there for a couple of weeks before I sold that particular car. After a couple of more weeks the owner came back with the car. It seems that he was giving a friend a ride and the friend asked what brand of car it was. The owner said to look down where it says Chrysler. This is when he discovered the car had Chrysler on the driver's side but not on the passenger side. I guess that you would have to be Superman to look at both sides of the car at once. Since this is when this model first came out, no one in the dealership noticed that the one Chrysler was missing. The owner brought the car back in and we fixed his car up with another Chrysler nameplate in a matter of minutes.

When Cathy's PT Cruiser got rear ended, I took it to the best body shop around here. When I went to pick up the car, I looked at it across the parking lot and said that it was unacceptable because the Limited Edition nameplate was placed too low. The shop owner told me that it was correct because the trim piece comes with a template for placing it. The shop owner's wife also owns a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition. I told him to look at his wife's car. The next day they put a new nameplate on our car in the correct place. It didn't look bad where they originally placed it, but it would have bothered me everytime that I looked at it.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

fastfritz
07-25-2008, 05:00 PM

I think that kind of thing used to happen on the line...I used to not-all-that-infrequently see a wrong nameplate on a brand-new car, or a different trim level on one side and another on the other side from the factory, but usually not wrong location of emblems. I haven't seen an obvious factory goof like that in years...but I daily see body-shop "oops" things like that!

I have a buddy that is the original owner of a 1969 Dart GT Sport. The bumble bee stripe on on side states the proper "GT Sport". The other side proudly proclaims "Dart Swinger" in 2" tall letters.

I'm with you on this one Mr. Pressler. It drives me bonkers seeing a perfectly new vehicle with an emblem on one side just so out of alignment with anything! [B)][B)]

When my Jeep came out of the body shop they completely missed all the emblems on one side. The "Cherokee Sport" on the door and the "4x4" on the "C" pillar. duh...............[V]

When I picked up my F250 from the body shop (after repairing an encounter with a white tail deer) they didn't bother putting the 2" tall/36" long black molding back on the passenger front door. You know the molding. The one that MATCHES the molding on the back door!! When asked, the body shop owner replied "What missing molding?" double duh...............[V][V]

Frank Remlinger
SDC# A004602R
http://automotivemachine.net/smleftsdcaps.jpg

sweetolbob
07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Dang! Did I find the right site for me, I thought I was the last individual bothered by this type of lack of attention to detail. Huzzah, Huzzah I'm home.

Bill Pressler
07-25-2008, 08:06 PM
I was at a car show a few years back where there was a nice Lark convertible. My two Stude buddies who were with me at the time were commenting on the less-than-great fit of some of the body panels on the car. Both kiddingly tell me they think I overemphasize emblem placement on cars. While, sure, I don't appreciate doors that don't close well, etc., I replied that I can't see misaligned body panels until I'm right close to the car, but I can see nameplates in the wrong place, a block away!

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH

Warren Webb
07-27-2008, 03:05 AM
Emblems really get me too. My favorites are the upside down Acura caliper emblems put on hoods upside down & here in California, license plates that have the month & year on the wrong sides! Especially when its on a higher priced car like a BMW or Mercedes when the new plate says right on it which one goes where! UGH!!!!!! Such is life today in the world of two-sided tape!!

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

studegary
07-27-2008, 10:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Emblems really get me too. My favorites are the upside down Acura caliper emblems put on hoods upside down & here in California, license plates that have the month & year on the wrong sides! Especially when its on a higher priced car like a BMW or Mercedes when the new plate says right on it which one goes where! UGH!!!!!! Such is life today in the world of two-sided tape!!

This is the first that I have heard the Acura emblem called a "caliper." I thought that it was a Honda "H" with the sides slanted in to make an Acura "A".

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Jackson
07-28-2008, 07:34 AM
I recall being in a Ford dealership around 1970 and noticing a new Ford stationwagon on the showroom floor. This particular model had FORD spelled out accross the tailgate in individual letters, however, it was spelled "F R O D" on this stationwagon.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd217/jacksonxl/3studeside.jpg
34 STUDEBAKER STREET ROD
55 SPEEDSTER (in work)
63 R2 LARK (in work)
85 AVANTI (9K miles)