PDA

View Full Version : Sad news

jnewkirk77
07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
I really hate to have to share this news, but my dear Ginger's father, Skip Lingle, passed away early this morning at the VA Hospital in Oklahoma City. He had been a patient there since recent cancer surgery, and had been progressing very nicely -- even faster than expected, according to the doctor and Ginger's stepmom, Jackie, who is a registered nurse.

All of that makes his passing so stunning.

His nurse, who checked on him every morning and delivered his medication, had been in and talked to him just before he died, and he was sitting up in bed. He told her that he was doing just fine but needed to sit up because of his back. He said he felt really good. She left the room and ducked back in just a few moments later, and he was gone.

His doctors had been preparing him to go home, possibly today. Well, it may sound trite, but he's truly home now. Please keep Ginger and her family in your prayers -- Skip was only 58, and we all thought he had this as good as licked.

We'll be headed to Oklahoma sometime tomorrow, so please also pray for our journey to be safe.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

ClaymoreWW
07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
my condolences.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
http://www.teamwetworks.com/claymore/larkkey.jpg

jimmijim8
07-23-2008, 05:41 PM
God Bless, and rest his soul. My condolences to the family. jimmijim

bams50
07-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I add my condolences as well.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

lstude
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
So sorry to hear that.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

gordr
07-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Sounds like Skip was the same age as me. Scary stuff, that. My condolences to you, Jacob. Travel safely, and take it extra easy. When you are distracted by grief or emotional stress, it's all too easy to make a mistake on the road.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Karl
07-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Please give my condolences to the family.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/twnchgr/Picture2061-1.jpg

rockinhawk
07-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Our hearts and Prayers go out to you. We just lost two dear friends to cancer here. NT

Neil Thornton
Hazlehurst, GA
'57 Silver Hawk
'56 Sky Hawk
'51 2R16 dump truck
Many others.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar2.jpg

shewolf
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
May we add our sympathies and prayers to the many others already here. May God bless you and give you peace. Tracy and Steve

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
'63 Lark

54-61-62
07-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hear the news. My thoughts will be with your family.

Mark57
07-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Please accept my condolences on your loss as well.

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/57TranstarSM.jpg

jnewkirk77
07-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Thanks for lifting us up, folks. Sure am glad to be among friends here, even if we've never met in person. We've pushed back our takeoff time until this afternoon, as we think Ginger's mother may be going with us if she can get Friday off at work.

I'll be sure to post when we get to Oklahoma. We don't know all of the arrangements yet, but we have been told that, in addition to handling the funeral service, Skip and Jackie's pastor, the Rev. Bill Goldner, will also lead a procession of Skip's fellow Harley-Davidson enthusiasts (yes, Pastor Bill rides a HAWG!) from the church through Jay and up to the cemetery. I must admit, the Harley lover within me is looking forward to that, even though I wish it were for happier circumstances. Regardless, it is a fitting tribute.

Roscomacaw
07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
My condolences too! 58! Not right.[V]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Bill Pressler
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Jacob, please accept my sympathy in the passing of Skip.

Respectfully,
Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77

I really hate to have to share this news, but my dear Ginger's father, Skip Lingle, passed away early this morning at the VA Hospital in Oklahoma City. He had been a patient there since recent cancer surgery, and had been progressing very nicely -- even faster than expected, according to the doctor and Ginger's stepmom, Jackie, who is a registered nurse.

All of that makes his passing so stunning.

His nurse, who checked on him every morning and delivered his medication, had been in and talked to him just before he died, and he was sitting up in bed. He told her that he was doing just fine but needed to sit up because of his back. He said he felt really good. She left the room and ducked back in just a few moments later, and he was gone.

His doctors had been preparing him to go home, possibly today. Well, it may sound trite, but he's truly home now. Please keep Ginger and her family in your prayers -- Skip was only 58, and we all thought he had this as good as licked.

We'll be headed to Oklahoma sometime tomorrow, so please also pray for our journey to be safe.

JRoberts
07-24-2008, 09:04 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ginger.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

raprice
07-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Please accept my deepest condolences to you & your family.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

jnewkirk77
07-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks again, folks. We're all doing pretty well; we are fairly tired, having made the 10-1/2 hour trip west on U.S. 60 across Missouri overnight last night. We arrived in Jay at about 6:30 this morning. Everyone is holding up about as well as could be expected, given the circumstances. Ginger's brother and sister arrived from Sioux City this evening, so it is nice to have everyone here together, even though I wish it were for a better reason.

Mark57
07-25-2008, 10:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77
Ginger's brother and sister arrived from Sioux City this evening, so it is nice to have everyone here together, even though I wish it were for a better reason.

Please don't take this the wrong way Jacob - your comments got me to thinking and I am not making any assumptions about your family, but it's a sad commentary for many families - mine included - that we only seem to get together as a whole family at weddings and funerals.

<h5>[b]Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/57TranstarSM.jpg

TX Rebel
07-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Condolences to you and your family. It reminds me how fortunate we are that my wife Pam was able to return home following cancer surgery last Fall.

Barry'd in Studes