STUDEBAKER/NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDEBAKER/NASCAR

I know many Studebakers were used in the early days of NASCAR, some as shown in photos were actually Studebakers powered with other manufacturers engines.

Did Studebaker (in the 50's) have a performance division, did they have an official sponsored car, and of so, does anyone have any inofrmation on Studebaker backed NASCAR teams, photos etc?

Thanks
    BG

Bondo: Everything, and I mean everything, you want to know about Studebakers in NASCAR is thoroughly cataloged and inventoried by SDC member Bob Coolidge of DeLand FL. Those of us attending his seminar at the Charlotte 2004 SDC International Meet left with our jaws dropped to an inoperable position for several hours, we were so amazed at the amount of extant material about Studebaker and NASCAR.

Bob promised us many photos in his slide show that we had never seen before and he wasn't kidding. [:0] The guy is a real sleuth. [}] He's done an excellent job accumulating many rare pieces, and interviewing many "good ole' boys" with NASCAR roots in the southwest...and Bob Coolidge is one helluva nice guy in his own right. [^] I doubt that anyone is SDC knows half as much as Bob Coolidge about Studebaker and NASCAR. [][]

His e-mail address is: trnstrtrk@bellsouth.net

Cheers. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bondo: Everything, and I mean everything, you want to know about Studebakers in NASCAR is thoroughly cataloged and inventoried by SDC member Bob Coolidge of DeLand FL. Those of us attending his seminar at the Charlotte 2004 SDC International Meet left with our jaws dropped to an inoperable position for several hours, we were so amazed at the amount of extant material about Studebaker and NASCAR.

Bob promised us many photos in his slide show that we had never seen before and he wasn't kidding. [:0] The guy is a real sleuth. [}] He's done an excellent job accumulating many rare pieces, and interviewing many "good ole' boys" with NASCAR roots in the southwest...and Bob Coolidge is one helluva nice guy in his own right. [^] I doubt that anyone is SDC knows half as much as Bob Coolidge about Studebaker and NASCAR. [][]

Cheers. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob

Thanks. I will contact him. I keep seeing footage on NASCAR commercials and there is a Post War bodied car that flashes by.

I have never seen any mention about Studebakers being part of NASCAR but, there must have been something "official".

Thanks
        Bill

Comment

Bob

Thanks. I will contact him. I keep seeing footage on NASCAR commercials and there is a Post War bodied car that flashes by.

I have never seen any mention about Studebakers being part of NASCAR but, there must have been something "official".

Thanks
          Bill

Comment

Studebaker sat on the pole for the 1951 Southern 500, and won three NASCAR races that year. Google "Studebaker Nascar", lots of info.

Comment

Studebaker sat on the pole for the 1951 Southern 500, and won three NASCAR races that year. Google "Studebaker Nascar", lots of info.

Comment

And that Hemmings story contains a link to Bob Coolidge's Racing Studebakers website, too; all ready to click and enjoy! BP

Comment

And that Hemmings story contains a link to Bob Coolidge's Racing Studebakers website, too; all ready to click and enjoy! BP

Comment

Although there were not usually large numbers of Studebakers on the early NASCAR circut there were some here and there. The first link feathers a driver, Jack Smith, with a picture somewhere of his '53 race car.
                    The second link features NASCAR tracks past and present. Click on the speedway and lists of drivers, cars, etc, can be gotten to. I know that Studebakers competed at the Harnett Speedway, Spring Lake, NC and at the Champion Speedway in Fayetteville, NC. Click on those two and you'll see how the system works.

I don't think in the early days of racing in what was then called "Strictly Stock" racing motors other than that of the manufacture of the car were allowed. This occured in the modified classes.

Joe Roberts

Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Although there were not usually large numbers of Studebakers on the early NASCAR circut there were some here and there. The first link feathers a driver, Jack Smith, with a picture somewhere of his '53 race car.
                      The second link features NASCAR tracks past and present. Click on the speedway and lists of drivers, cars, etc, can be gotten to. I know that Studebakers competed at the Harnett Speedway, Spring Lake, NC and at the Champion Speedway in Fayetteville, NC. Click on those two and you'll see how the system works.

I don't think in the early days of racing in what was then called "Strictly Stock" racing motors other than that of the manufacture of the car were allowed. This occured in the modified classes.

Joe Roberts

Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I doubt that anyone is SDC knows half as much as Bob Coolidge about Studebaker and NASCAR. [][]

Cheers. BP
                        [/quote]

Okay, where is JBRotor now[?] And why didn't anyone who knew about Bob Coolidge keeping a record of racing Studebakers refer him to Bob a couple of months ago when he inquired about his grandfather's '59 Lark instead of running him off the forum??? Seems now if anyone would know about any '59's that went a'racing, it would be Bob. As a side note, I do remember when Tom Macahill did a road test in MI on a '59 Lark V8, he did hint about potential racing properties with it's lighter weight!!

Craig

Comment

I doubt that anyone is SDC knows half as much as Bob Coolidge about Studebaker and NASCAR. [][]

Cheers. BP
                          [/quote]

Okay, where is JBRotor now[?] And why didn't anyone who knew about Bob Coolidge keeping a record of racing Studebakers refer him to Bob a couple of months ago when he inquired about his grandfather's '59 Lark instead of running him off the forum??? Seems now if anyone would know about any '59's that went a'racing, it would be Bob. As a side note, I do remember when Tom Macahill did a road test in MI on a '59 Lark V8, he did hint about potential racing properties with it's lighter weight!!

Craig

Comment

Bob's fine website is at: http://www.studebakerracing.com/

FYI: Bob's site has been on the "Valuable Links" page of the SDC site since going live in 2003. Our site may not have everything about everything, but I encourage all to explore and use more than just this forum section.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                            Woodbury, Minnesota
                            sigpic
                            Bob Shaw
                            Rush City, Minnesota
                            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Bob's fine website is at: http://www.studebakerracing.com/

FYI: Bob's site has been on the "Valuable Links" page of the SDC site since going live in 2003. Our site may not have everything about everything, but I encourage all to explore and use more than just this forum section.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                              Woodbury, Minnesota
                              sigpic
                              Bob Shaw
                              Rush City, Minnesota
                              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                              X