Automatic Trans Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Trans Question

How can you tell the difference between a regular automatic trans when it is out of the car as compared to a power shift? This is out of a 63 GT Hawk I think. I do not think it is a power shift but I am curious. When I look at the one in the avanti from under the car I cannot tell the difference between the one on the floor and the one in the car.

Thanks

Milt

Milt

1947 Champion
    1961 Hawk
    1964 Convertable
    1967 Avanti
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

If it has no cooler lines, it is definitely not a powershift. If it does have the cooler lines, it's either a HD Flightomatic or Powershift. To tell the difference, work the shifter back and forth and count the detents. The Powershift will have an extra detent. The FOM pattern is PNDLR and the PS pattern is PRND21.

You can also tell by the color of the tag, but a) it might all be worn off and b) I can't remember what color means what

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Milt,

First if you look at the case on the passenger side there are two places for the tubes to connect that take the fluid to the radiator for cooling. One at the side and near the front of the trans, the other almost at the back corner, both just above the pan. Both heavy duty Flightos and Powershift have these.
      Second, the Powershift has one more detent as you move the shift lever. (This will distinquish a Powershift from a heavy duty Flighto.) P-R-N-D-2-1 as opposed to P-N-D-L-R.
      Hope this helps.

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Thanks, It has no cooling lines so you answered my question.

Milt

1961 Hawk
        1964 Convertable
        1967 Avanti
        Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973