This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop gnomes returned my piece

Probably everyone has this story. I lost a Stude piece about 5 months ago in the shop. Tiny corner piece of drip rail trim for 52 hardtop. Not so common item I imagine, so I was ticked.
    I tore the place apart for hours!
    Several times!
    Finally I gave up and was hoping it would turn up. Yesterday I move some stuff around on the old dining room table in the shop and there it is. Just sitting there.
    I have had that table cleared off many times, and even moved it across the shop awhile back. It could not have been there. Or, obviously I guess it could have. I should be happy its found, but now I'm ticked I didn't find it before in such a simple place.

I think there are shop gnomes that giveth and taketh away.

Dan
    52 hardtop

Been there, still looking for gas door spring. Been 3 months

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Yep. I'm still waiting for the gnomes to return the new gas tank sender cover I bought a couple years ago from Classic Enterprises. It was constantly in my way until the day I decided to install it. Then, *POOF*, gone.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I would guess many, if not all, of us have had this sort of thing happen. And I for one will never understand the cause or the "how could that be" of it. One of life's mysteries I guess.

wagone

Comment

There are several Murphy's Laws as applied to cars. One is: "If an irreplacable bolt falls onto a spotlessly clean garage floor, it will immediately disappear from the face of the earth."

Comment

Does anyone remember the Twilight Zone episode about this effect? It was about a couple who suddenly found themselves " 5 minutes into the future" where a team of people was constantly putting things in place, as if life were a grand movie set. The head of the team explained that sometimes the various props didn't make it into place in time. That's why we always need to open the drawer three times to finally see what we are looking for. But, gee, if it took five months, the elves are really slipping! I'd love to have a DVD of that Twilight Zone episode.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Heh - I've got one of those OBD-II code readers. It's the plug-in thingy that allows you to see what, if any error codes your car's electronic brains have a record of.
              I bought it over 5 years ago to diagnose a car we had (and no longer have) because the $100 bucks it cost me was cheaper than taking it to some "technician" so he could tell me what it was gonna cost to let him replace a 20 dollar sensor.
              With the reader and the 20-dollar part it told me was bad, I was still way ahead, financially. But I only used the danged thing once.
              Anyway, I was gonna loan it to a friend who was having trouble with a Toyota. I knew right where the reader and it's cable were, but the instruction manual.... That thing eluded me.
              I tore this place apart! Got the wife involved one day as we scoured the office. I looked thru the garage and shop 3, maybe 4 times. Finally admitted defeat.
              Last week, I pulled a Studebaker book from the shelf right next to my desk. Guess what fell out???

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

So, if any of you all figure out how to reason with these shop gnomes, I have this missing body number plate for my M-5...

jj

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jjones

So, if any of you all figure out how to reason with these shop gnomes, I have this missing body number plate for my M-5...jj
                  Mr. Biggs,

Look in the 5 gallon bucket of body tags and help ole JJ out.

Gary

PS - What's the story on the road tractor?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

There is no reasoning with the shop gnomes! To appease them first you must spend a month or two stewing in anger. I think they feed on this.
                    Then you must give up hope of ever seeing your part again. This takes the fun out of it for them, and they will congregate to discuss returning the part. Once you don't care anymore, it will show up.
                    Clear off a nice clean spot on the workbench. They will put it right in the middle in plain view. This is their last act of mischief, convincing you that it was right there the whole time.

To guarantee that it returns, but a replacement part.

Dan
                    52 hardtop

Comment

Blue 15G said "There are several Murphy's Laws as applied to cars. One is: "If an irreplacable bolt falls onto a spotlessly clean garage floor, it will immediately disappear from the face of the earth.""

How true! A corollary to that is "Even though you carefully put the bolts and screws back in the holes to store them, at least one will disappear before you are ready for reassembly".

I am in the process of reassembly of my 53 stude. One, and only one of my bumper bracket bolts has escaped and crawled away. I can't wait until I start reinstalling the interior with all those chrome screws. I bought a new set from SI, and expect I still will come up one short.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                      53 Starliner Hardtop
                      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

stude53 writes: "I am in the process of reassembly of my 53 stude. One, and only one of my bumper bracket bolts has escaped and crawled away. I can't wait until I start reinstalling the interior with all those chrome screws. I bought a new set from SI, and expect I still will come up one short." [}]

The flip side of that is when you ever-so-carefully keep each screw and nut, do the reassembly and then find you have several pieces left over.[V]

jjones, as Guido intimated, I have a bucket full-o' body tags (actually, they reside on wire coat hangers, a-hanging in the garage). I've recently sent such tags to Sweden, Australia, Texas & Georgia to make cars whole again. Of course, they're not THE tag that a given vehicle came with, but they help to make a car/truck look right again and the owners are very appreciative.
                        Maybe (since they don't rust) the body tags constitute the 1% of stuff worth saving from that rusty trash in SC. Those better informed than I will have to make that call.
                        Anyway, jjones, I think I have an M5 tag if it comes down to that.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Gary,

That was from the 1985 season of the Twilight Zone. It was called "A Matter of Minutes". I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread.

quote:Originally posted by garyash

Does anyone remember the Twilight Zone episode about this effect? It was about a couple who suddenly found themselves " 5 minutes into the future" where a team of people was constantly putting things in place, as if life were a grand movie set. The head of the team explained that sometimes the various props didn't make it into place in time. That's why we always need to open the drawer three times to finally see what we are looking for. But, gee, if it took five months, the elves are really slipping! I'd love to have a DVD of that Twilight Zone episode.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                          Dartmouth, Mass.
                          '48 M5
                          '65 Wagonaire Commander
                          '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

"The Twilight Zone"
                            Monsters!/A Small Talent for War/A Matter of Minutes (1986)

"Item lost always appear in place last looked."

Tom
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Shop gnomes! I think everyone has had to deal with them at one time or an other! And the item always shows up at a place you are sure you looked before and you have replaced item and no longer need it!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Working...
                              X