This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't beat the price!

I found this '64 Commander in Port Orchard, WA that apparently runs (OHV 6 and AT) for only $700.00. Looks decent from the outside, but the ad mentions some floorboard rust. I know nothing of the '52 lurking in the background. Below is the link to the ad:

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
    1948 M-16 grain truck
    1949 2R16A grain truck
    1949 2R17A fire truck
    1955 E-38 grain truck
    1957 3E-40 flatbed
    1961 6E-28 grain truck
    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
    1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
    1964 Cruiser
    And various other "treasures"
    Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Too many doors, too few cylinders.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT(parts car)
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Too many doors, too few cylinders.
      Picky, picky, picky..... But I doubt you can find many other Studes that are running and appear as straight as this one for the money (just hoping his kid didn't ride the guardrail with the right side! ).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
      1948 M-16 grain truck
      1949 2R16A grain truck
      1949 2R17A fire truck
      1955 E-38 grain truck
      1957 3E-40 flatbed
      1961 6E-28 grain truck
      1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
      1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
      1964 Cruiser
      And various other "treasures"
      Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Just shows there are still cheap Studebakers out there for the drivers to enjoy. If you went to a Studebaker meet you'd think cars like that were limited production and Hawks were the best sellers. That car, and cars like it made the flashy Studebaker possible.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1/AC
        63 Avanti R2/4 speed
        62 Lark 2 door
        62 GT(parts car)
        60 Lark convert
        60 Hawk
        56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        JDP Maryland

Comment

The good news, or bad news (I'm not sure which) is that $700 is about the market for a Stude like that.

I couldn't buy it for that or close to that and expect to make a dime. It's not underpriced.

The good part is that if you want an entry level Studebaker for a low initial investment, there are plenty of nice ones like this out there. You could probably be driving this car for the purchase price plus a few hundred in "fix its" and make as many people smile on the roads than if you were driving a $30,000 Avanti. Plus it's more comfortable, gets better mileage and will fit the whole family and their luggage.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

The same web site lists the exceedinly scarce "62 Golden Hawk.

Don Wilson
            53 Commander Hardtop
            64 Champ 1/2 ton
            Centralia, WA
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ddub

The same web site lists the exceedinly scarce "62 Golden Hawk.
              Golden Hawk [?]...That looks like one of them Black Hawks to me [)]

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks like a really nice Hawk. A nice, black, Golden GT Hawk![8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I agree with Dick about not making money but if you want a very nice daily driver the 4 doors are hard to beat. One of my problems is after I purchase something I can't help spending more money than I could ever get back on fixing it up. I look at it as a public service and figure there is one more saved.

1961 Lark

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

Just shows there are still cheap Studebakers out there for the drivers to enjoy. If you went to a Studebaker meet you'd think cars like that were limited production and Hawks were the best sellers. That car, and cars like it made the flashy Studebaker possible.

At our Packard Picnic yesterday, we had the usual C/K's show up and some trucks, but I gave one of our newer members credit for bringing out his 1960 Lark 4 door to the picnic. We never had a people's choice for the cars there, but myself and a couple of others there who shared the same sentiments would have given it the vote just because it is a basic Lark.
                    Craig

Comment

I'm with Dick and Craig. You can't beat the value for the old car buck you get with a 4 door Stude! My 64 has a completely rebuilt 6; I love the way it purrs going down the road! I tried it twice on eBay- both times it did just over $300; the guy I got it from spent $900 in engine parts alone! Not to mention the $400 S/S exhaust that's on it... I thought sure it was worth the $500 I paid; but must not be! I still hope to place it with someone who wants an entry-level old car to drive while they learn how to work on it; then they'll be hooked into buying another Stude or two!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I have to admit, I'm a bit of an engine snob. I don't think I will ever own a six cylinder Studebaker, unless it's a Commander six. I just like torque too much, and power even more. I also like cars that look good. Cars that look fast standing still. Cars that make kids in Hondas challenge you to a race.

That said, I came real close to buying Lee D's Cruiser (now Pat Drnec's) a couple years ago because I'd driven the car for a couple hours. Yeah, it was a brown 4-door (but a V-8, to keep my inner torque junkie happy) but it looked just fine from behind the wheel. Still dunno if I made the right choice or not. (bought a Porsche 944 instead; I have a love/hate relationship with that car.)

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate your probaly the guy to ask,is a Karman Ghia a nice car to drive(and work on)?
                          There one close to me thats going quite cheap,Im not sure if I want it or not but always liked the looks of the little buggers.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

Nate your probaly the guy to ask,is a Karman Ghia a nice car to drive(and work on)?
                            There one close to me thats going quite cheap,Im not sure if I want it or not but always liked the looks of the little buggers.
                            Robert - Not Nate, but be sure to check the underbody for rust. Rust can be terminal on them. You probably like the looks of them because you like Chrysler products and the Karmann Ghia design is a design that was done for Chrysler and scaled down.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY
                            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X