This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Sedan Air Conditioning

A lot of you may know my interest in the air conditioning systems offered by Studebaker in the big sedans in the years 1955-1957. Mainly, I'm interested because years ago dad owned a 1955 President so equipped.

On Ebay now there is a 1956 Commander with the factory trunk mounted unit. There are quite a few good pictures that detail the trunk unit complete with the "Studebaker Car Air Conditioning Tag", the underdash controls and the plastic air tube outlets mounted on the package shelf behind the back seat. This is a two tone Commander without full wheels covers and is also a radio delete car.

Mr. Biggs, here's another Commander with this expensive option.

What do you folks think of this one?

Bill Sapp
    Hamlet, NC

Pretty neat![8D] Again, kind of odd that this would be added to a Commander (it was a VERY expensive option at the time!) and the buyer not opt for the President.

OF COURSE - Stude buyers WERE trifty-conscious and in reality, a comprable President really didn't get you THAT much more car when basics are considered. Sure, you got glitzier trim and fancier upholstery, but I doubt that many thrifty sorts gave that much credence - or valued the worth of 30 extra cubic inches of V8 when it got right down to it.[}]
    I'd have to look at the pricing but I'd bet what you saved by buying a Commander would offset the A/C option at the very least.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
    X