This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Reedsville...

...never been, don't know what it is, but if it's about Studebakers, I want to go! My GPS says it's 280 miles from me...

Is there a place I can get info? Made my first trip to York this year; enjoyed it even if I didn't meet many folks... after all, lotsa Studes!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Hey Bams,

Give Bondobilly a call or send him an email
    since he posted the original thread on
    July 28, about the date changes, and said
    he was open to all queations that there
    may be or to call Max Conkin.

Hope this helps

Glen Brose
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Home of "Charlene"
    53 Champion Tudr Sedan

Comment

The Keystone National Swapmeet started many years ago in Mike Margerum's garage. After two years it outgrew the facility and was held for many years in Reedsville, Pa.

When it outgrew that facility it was moved to the York Fairgrounds in York, Pa.

The Manhattan Chapter chose to continue sponsoring a swapmeet in Reedsville. It's a smaller, more intimate venue but still all Studebaker and probably one of the three largest.

Winter in the Northeast is the time to work on your car and Reedsville, Pa is the place to get what you need the last weekend in October. Much of what you find at York and tons of quality sheetmetal.

Look for the ads in Turning Wheels.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      33 Rockne 10
      51 Commander Starlight
      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

See Bondo Billy's recent post on the change of dates for the Reedsville swap meet to Oct. 27 and 28, 2006.

The event is sponsored by the Manhattan Chapter of SDC, even if it is in the middle of Pennsylvania. Go figure!

Here is a picture from the 2005 meet:

More about the 2004 meet and some background here:

The motels are in Burnham. Try the Clarion Hotel or Super 8 motel. Both are close together, only a few minutes from the fairgrounds. The weather will be totally unpredictable - anything from 70's and sunny to 30's and snow flurries. I'd prepare for cool and wet, based on experience.

All in all, a great place to look for Stude parts and meet great people. Find a new friend or four and go out to dinner: Jack's Mountain Restaurant near Lewistown is recommended as a great microbrew and steak place. Max Corkins usually has a big open house in the evenings at his restoration shop in Lewistown. Stop by for a tour, some music, and a couple of beers.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

York if you have the time is bigger,better,more hotels, better food in the area...or I should say if time is a factor and you only can attend one event, then York is the go to show/fleamarket.

Comment

I like both Reedsville and York and have attended most of both. From the north, the weather can be questionable. Moving Reedsville from November to October should help. I have found that Reedsville is best for buying parts and York is best for buying vehicles. I have never vended at either. I have brought parts and vehicles for delivery. Both places are filled with fine Studebaker folks. When the swap meet first moved to Reedsville, I used to stay in Corkins Motel. The first time was a real shock when I walked into the office and was greeted by a picture of my '53 Commander Starliner on the wall. They also used to come around and pound on your door early in the morning to get you up. Chester's meet in Virginia and the Florida State Meet are both in October, also. This may present a problem for me since I like to attend those.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY
            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Chester's meet in Virginia and the Florida State Meet are both in October, also. This may present a problem for me since I like to attend those.
              Gary,

The meet at Chester Bradfield's is Sunday, October 8th. It gets started at 1:00 with lunch at 1:30. I plan to be there, don't know what I will be bringing.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
              1948 M-16 grain truck
              1949 2R16A grain truck
              1949 2R17A fire truck
              1955 E-38 grain truck
              1957 3E-40 flatbed
              1961 6E-28 grain truck
              1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
              1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
              1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
              1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
              1964 Cruiser
              And various other "treasures"
              Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Working...
              X