PDA

View Full Version : 1966 wheelcover mystery



Scott
07-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Take a look at the photo below of the last Hamilton assembled 1966 car. If you look closely you'll notice that the wheelcovers do not have the painted silver ring on the wide part of the cover around the middle section. It is completely shiny. I have never seen this on any other car. Did Studebaker change the painting design of the wheelcovers mid-year, or did they have one style for US consumption and one style for Canadian consumption? I first noticed this anomaly in Reynolds book on Larks. Has anyone noticed this?
http://thehamiltonchaptersdc.ca/thelaststudebaker.jpg

8E45E
07-30-2006, 11:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

Take a look at the photo below of the last Hamilton assembled 1966 car. If you look closely you'll notice that the wheelcovers do not have the painted silver ring on the wide part of the cover around the middle section. It is completely shiny. http://thehamiltonchaptersdc.ca/thelaststudebaker.jpg


As far a I know, the only place you'll find the dull silver paint is between the ribs near the perimiter and in the circle where the new-for-'66 Hawk emblem is as in that photo.

Craig

dpson
07-31-2006, 06:01 AM
I know someone who has a set of those '66 (Hawk symbol in the center) wheel covers for sale if anyone is interested.

Dan Peterson
Montpelier, VT
1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible

Scott
07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
After looking through some other pictures in the Reynolds book, there are other pictures with this wheelcover, but they are NOT the ones usually seen on production cars. Here's a picture of my car, so you can see the difference. I actually like the shiny ones better. It's hard to believe this hasn't been noticed before. They are "supposed" to have a wide band of silver paint - like mine. I'm not talking about the fluted areas around the edge or the area with the hawk.
http://static.flickr.com/49/141588685_4995aeee2e.jpg?v=0

2R5
07-31-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm pretty sure that Hamilton 66 cars had stainless hubcaps and South bend cars had steel.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp.jpg HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

Scott
07-31-2006, 09:48 AM
But all cars were made in Hamilton. Do you mean that US bound cars had different wheelcovers?

2R5
07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Sorry about that but I think the 66 cars used a previous years hubcap ...didn't they ? I've seen these hubcaps at different swap meets in the US and they all seem to be steel ones . The ones I've seen in Canada are stainless. I'd say that someone could check that car's hubcaps in the museum with a magnet but they aren't the original hubcaps that came on the car. The early pic I have of that car at the plant just had the small hubcaps on it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp.jpg HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

Dick Steinkamp
07-31-2006, 10:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Sorry about that but I think the 66 cars used a previous years hubcap ...didn't they ? I've seen these hubcaps at different swap meets in the US and they all seem to be steel ones . The ones I've seen in Canada are stainless.


'66 wheelcovers are unique to that year. '65's used the same wheelcover as '64's. Here's a '65...

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/65side.jpg

I don't recall ANY 60's car using a chrome plated steel wheelcover. I believe they were all stainless.


http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Scott
07-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Now here is the same car in the museum today with the wheelcovers painted like mine. I think the body paint color looks different because of the lighting or film, but it should be the exact same car.
http://www.trombinoscar.com/studebaker/sb660102.jpg

8E45E
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Now you got me really wondering about that! I have a set of the full-size '66 wheel covers for Moby Grape in the garage. I'm going to have to check them when I get home from work!!

Craig.

65cruiser
07-31-2006, 12:31 PM
It was kind of shocking to be cruising through the forum and stumble across of picture of my 65:)


quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp


quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Sorry about that but I think the 66 cars used a previous years hubcap ...didn't they ? I've seen these hubcaps at different swap meets in the US and they all seem to be steel ones . The ones I've seen in Canada are stainless.


'66 wheelcovers are unique to that year. '65's used the same wheelcover as '64's. Here's a '65...

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/65side.jpg

I don't recall ANY 60's car using a chrome plated steel wheelcover. I believe they were all stainless.


http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg


________________________
Mark Anderson
1965 Cruiser
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/smstude.jpg

2R5
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Would be interesting for someone to check the built sheet on that car and see which hubcap really did come on that car.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp.jpg HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

Dick Steinkamp
07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

It was kind of shocking to be cruising through the forum and stumble across of picture of my 65:)



Hey, it's the most beautiful one I ran across. Nice car! [:p]



http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Randy_G
07-31-2006, 06:06 PM
First I want to thank Scott for posting the pic of the LAST Stude in front of the plant. Now for the history part for you know ,ME the guy that knows nothing about Studes and is using this forum as an educational tool. So here goes, The Last Stude was a 1966 Studebaker Crusier with a Chevy V-8 or a 6. How did I do?

www.automotivehistoryonline.com

65cruiser
07-31-2006, 06:29 PM
It wasn't technically a Chevy. It was a 283 McKinnon, manufactured by McKinnon Industries under license by General Motors. Studebaker used either a 194 or 230 cubic in six, and a 283 V8 in 1965-66. They are easily identified by the badging on the front fenders (or lack thereof). The 1965s that have no badging on the front fenders are six cylinders, the V8 65s are badged accordingly. The 66s were badged with the engine size on a little Hawk on the front fender, right behind the front wheel.


quote:Originally posted by Randy_G

First I want to thank Scott for posting the pic of the LAST Stude in front of the plant. Now for the history part for you know ,ME the guy that knows nothing about Studes and is using this forum as an educational tool. So here goes, The Last Stude was a 1966 Studebaker Crusier with a Chevy V-8 or a 6. How did I do?

www.automotivehistoryonline.com


________________________
Mark Anderson
1965 Cruiser
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/smstude.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
07-31-2006, 06:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

It wasn't technically a Chevy. It was a 283 McKinnon, manufactured by McKinnon Industries under license by General Motors.



General Motors has owned the Mckinnon facility in St. Catharines since 1929...

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/gmhistory/mckinnon.html

Trust me on this. They were GM motors. In fact, many may not have been cast or machined in St. Catharines...just sold to Studebaker from the St. Catharines facility for duty reasons. We did this subject a while ago here...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2624&SearchTerms=mckinnon

Being all Studebaker guys and gals, we'd like to think that the engines used in the 65s and 66s were something much more special than "just" GM motors...but they wern't. And there is really nothing bad about that. The SBC has been produced for over 50 years and is recognized as THE standard in racing engines. We should be proud that Studebaker chose the best when they were forced to outsource their engines.


http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Guido
07-31-2006, 07:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
Being all Studebaker guys and gals, we'd like to think that the engines used in the 65s and 66s were something much more special than "just" GM motors...but they wern't. And there is really nothing bad about that. The SBC has been produced for over 50 years and is recognized as THE standard in racing engines. We should be proud that Studebaker chose the best when they were forced to outsource their engines.
Dick,

I was always led to believe that the McKinnon engines were heavy duty truck engines with high nickel content rather than the normal car engines you would find in an Impala.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"
Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Dick Steinkamp
07-31-2006, 07:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Guido
I was always led to believe that the McKinnon engines were heavy duty truck engines with high nickel content rather than the normal car engines you would find in an Impala.



...and I was led to believe that Studebaker used Ford 289 engines [:o)].

There was nothing different about the 195 HP 283 that GM put in a truck or put in an Impala or sold to Studebaker or to Chris Craft...no matter which foundry it was cast in or which factory it was machined in. GM had the "economies of scale" thing down pretty good :D.


http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Guido
07-31-2006, 07:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
...and I was led to believe that Studebaker used Ford 289 engines [:o)].
You mean they didn't? ;) I guess that explains why I never found a Studebaker with a 390 in it. [:p]:D

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"
Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Dick Steinkamp
07-31-2006, 07:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Guido
You mean they didn't? ;) I guess that explains why I never found a Studebaker with a 390 in it. [:p]:D


Oh, there is one out there somewhere [8D]



http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Scott
07-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Back to the topic, are there any extant cars with this different kind of wheelcover? The only pictures I have seen of them are contemporary to 1966.

Randy_G
07-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok since no one said I passed I graded myself and I got a B+, I'm still learning. as for the Hubcaps, I have no idea. I see what you mean but maybe is becuase the of the light. Of all the people here on this forum no worked at the Studebaker plant when it closed??? Just a thought.

Randy_G

www.automotivehistoryonline.com

62beater
07-31-2006, 09:40 PM
I have one or two of thoses style hubcaps I'll have to see if they are painted or not or were? Tell you tomorrow.....

2R5
08-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Found a factory photo of another shot that kind of proves that this last car didn't originate with full discs . Maybe this should be changed at the museum http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/StudeHistoryPhoto2c.jpgm.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp.jpg HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

Scott
08-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Well, actually I think the picture is fooling you. Those do look like full wheelcovers to me, but they DO have the painted ring I was talking about.

Guido
08-01-2006, 10:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

Well, actually I think the picture is fooling you. Those do look like full wheelcovers to me, but they DO have the painted ring I was talking about.
I concur with Scott.


Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"
Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

41 Frank
08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I own a 66 Cruiser and the rings on the wheel covers are painted

Scott
08-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Here are two more examples of 1966 cars with this unusual wheelcover. These cars were in ads. If that style wheel cover was used on ad cars, and even if we assume that they were not meant for production, how would a set of them gotten on the LAST Studebaker? I tend to think there are really two styles out there, but why don't we ever see the ones without the band?

http://static.flickr.com/82/205221165_6195094d43.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/81/205221163_f45d963208.jpg?v=0

Fred Fox makes no mention of this style in the December 1989 Turning Wheels. Maybe someone can ask him about it (I have never been successful getting responses to questions).

Chris Collins
08-05-2006, 09:55 AM
The photos in my 1966 press kit and in the accessories folder show the outer band of the wheel disc as polished, not painted. I'd guess that the painted-hub style was a late change made after those materials were photographed and printed. Occasionally you will hear of slight changes to trim between the time of producing literature and actual car production. If wheel covers were generally installed at the retail dealer level, perhaps the earlier version was what was "around" when folks at the plant wanted to make the last car look "finished".

Chris Collins
63 Avanti R-2
66 Cruiser

chocolate turkey
08-05-2006, 11:09 AM
My 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan has the full wheel disc, painted ring. I have not seen a different cap on a 66.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

Roscomacaw
08-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I retract what I said earlier. I happened to be in the vicinity of my hub cap display (currently stored in boxes), so I took a look at my 66 example. Painted.[:I]
This means I may have to find one that's NOT painted, to be complete.:(
There used to be what must have been a prototype wheelcover laying with the GT Hawk buck that was upstairs in SASCO before the move. It was a 64-65 type cover with a bunch of black "divits" applied close to the outer edge. I think I have a photo of it somewhere. I've wondered if that had been a proposal for the 66 covers or maybe even an alternative '65 cover. I doubt we'll ever know.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

2R5
08-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I know someone who has a set of 66 hubcaps ...I'll check and see what they look like. May even have to take a camera with me.;)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp.jpg HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

Scott
08-05-2006, 02:44 PM
It's well known that often wheelcovers were changed between pre-production and production. It doesn't surprise me at all that the promotional material has a slightly different style of painting. What DOES baffle me is how those wheelcovers could've made it onto the wheels of the last PRODUCED Studebaker. Either the car was tampered with after it left the factory (WHY???) or the only other possiblity is that there are two production styles and it just hasn't surfaced before. I really don't know what to think. That's why I call it a mystery. And also, why are ones with the painted ring on the car now? What happened to the shiny ones?

showbizkid
08-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Sometimes restorers tend to be more "correct" than the factory. Perhaps when the car was being refurbed for the museum display someone "restored" the shiny wheelcovers by replacing the "missing" paint band?


[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 Lark Standard

pete
08-06-2006, 05:06 AM
the diff could be the model eg. cruiser daytona or commander for 1966 cars maybe aye for the hub cap thingy

bams50
08-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Being that this car saw use for at least one winter, maybe when they put the snow tires on, someone didn't seat one correctly and it was lost; so when a replacement was sought, they couldn't find a mate, and threw on a whole different set... just a half-baked theory...;);)

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1