This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Studebaker Hawk

I was driving thru Oklahoma this week and I ran across a 1962 Hawk sitting at a used car lot in Durant Oklahoma. Since I've been on the look out for a Studebaker to call my own I had to circle back and check it out. The guy told me it was from the South Bend,In area. The car has a 289 and 2 speed tranny. The paint looks like original white and the interior is red and rather nice. He wants TEN THOUSAND dollars. After reading about the pace Stude I went to e-bay to check it out. I saw several Hawks for much less that the used car guy wants for his Car. I didnt get to see under the hood for any model numbers. He had it chained shut and I was already running late. Deal or no Deal? I didnt see any rust and it didnt smoke when he started it up.

Randy_G

If the car spent much time in the SB area,the frame and floor could be totally gone.You have to take a good look UNDER the car,don't judge it from outward appearance.
    10k is a lot of money for a plain automatic car,as you have already seen on e-bay.
    BTW,the trans,if original,is a 3speed,but starts out in 2nd gear and shifts to 3rd during normal driving.1st gear only gets used if you set the shifter to 'low'.

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    60Lark
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Not having seen the car, I agree that for $10K you could probably find a nicer example. Any northern car would be subject to road salt and therefore could have major structural issues. This would require a thorough inspection, as new fenders may have been hung on the car that may mask its true condition.

My preference would be to look for a rust free western car, even if it meant cosmetic work. I was able to buy a nice '62 GT w/ 4 speed and 58K original miles in California several years ago for MUCH less than his asking price.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
      1948 M-16 grain truck
      1949 2R16A grain truck
      1949 2R17A fire truck
      1955 E-38 grain truck
      1957 3E-40 flatbed
      1961 6E-28 grain truck
      1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
      1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
      1964 Cruiser
      And various other "treasures"
      Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

10K does seem rather steep especially since you mentioned the cars on ebay, in fact my dad was selling his 62 on ebay just a few days ago. All in all I hope you have good luck in finding yourself a stude no matter which way you decide to go.

Past and current loves:

46 M-5
        47 M-5
        47 Champ Starlight
        48 Land Cruiser
        52 Commander 4-dr
        54 Champion
        57 Silver hawk
        59 Lark 2-dr
        61 Lark 4-dr
        62 Hawk GT

1947 Studebaker M-5
        1946 Studebaker M-5
        1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
        1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
        1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

I got the chance to go look at the Stude last night without the salesman hoovering over me. The car has been wrecked at some point in its life and the repair had been badly done. There are signs of rust bubbles on the bottoms of the doors and the overall appearance is just bad. The car is not worth the ten grand he is asking. I doubt anyone will pay him what he wants for the car, but if he waits long enough it will be the only one left. It was the first Stude Ive seen on a used lot in a many years.I will be passing on it.

Randy_G

Comment

Working...
          X