This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 Commander VIN number

We recently obtained a 1952 Commander and are having trouble locating the VIN number. It is not on the door posts, fire wall or wheel wells. Any suggestions where to look on the frame or any other area? We need VIN number in order to register car in state of CT. We know the VIN number as listed on Bill of Sale, but needs to be verified on the body. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked right up under the top driver side door hinge? It could be there. But I think that on 52 Commanders, they were riveted on the driver door post.
    What body style is your Commander? If it's a HT, I have a parts car... (Well, grandad also has 2 other 52 HT's and one Convertible parts car as well).

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
    63 Daytona HT
    51 2R16 dump truck
    52 Commander Starliner (will trade for another Stude <g&gt

Comment

The "secret" car Serial number is supposed to be on the rear flange of the rear frame crossmember near the center(may be on front flange)Of course after 50 years of rust, good luck reading it. Try wire brushing the bottom side of flanges. That is the only other serial number on the car, besides the one on the body, forward side of driver's door latch post(it was riveted on with 2 rivets 1 in. from floor), which apparently has been removed from your car. However, prior to 1955 most states used the engine numbers for a "VIN. NUMBER". And that could be a problem if you no longer have the original or any engine! If you let us know what the "VIN" # is, we can tell you if it is a car Serial,or Eng.# ! Hope this helps, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Henk

We recently obtained a 1952 Commander and are having trouble locating the VIN number. It is not on the door posts, fire wall or wheel wells. Any suggestions where to look on the frame or any other area? We need VIN number in order to register car in state of CT. We know the VIN number as listed on Bill of Sale, but needs to be verified on the body. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As Rich says, tell us what numbers on the paperwork and we can tell you if it's the engine number or the serial number.
        For '52, there was a little plate held to the door jamb, up about 3 inches from the sill plate and well below the striker. That serial# is what passes for a VIN nowdays.
        BUT - as Rich pointed out, they used the engine number to register cars thru the early 50s. A Commander engine number should start with a "V" followed by some numerals. That number would be STAMPED (not embossed) into the metal of the block - back near the hole where the distributor mount fits into the block.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If the engine is still in the car, here's where to find it. Note: The number is Stamped, not raised.

63 Daytona HT
          51 2R16 dump truck

Comment

52's should be in the back by the dist. But he should tell us at least the first few numbers of the VIN so we know where to go. It would start with a V123001 to V207000. If it used the Tag on the door frame it would be 8217001 to 829000 for SB or 8816001 to 8826800 for LA or 8954001 to 8955400 for Canada

Comment

Really? Didn't know that. Obviously, the pic is of a later engine, hence the fual pump. I thought all Stude V8's had the # up front. [?]

63 Daytona HT
              51 2R16 dump truck

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Really? Didn't know that. Obviously, the pic is of a later engine, hence the fual pump. I thought all Stude V8's had the # up front. [?]

Matthew - At 16 it is good to realize that you are still learning and that there is a lot to learn, even just about Studebakers <G,G>. I am older than your grandfather and I am still learning.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY
                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The serial number plate could be on the door lock post (B pillar) or on the door hinge post (A pillar). It was moved late in the 1952 model year.

Dwain G.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

54 and still learning-or,trying to!!
                    Come to think of it,the 2 52's I've owned had the serial # plate in different spots.
                    [one on the hinge pillar,the other was on the latch pillar]Now I know why.
                    MB -keep that picture handy,you know this comes up often. I tried to take the same pic,but it didn't come out well.Yours will make it easy for people to find the engine # on the later v-8s!!
                    LaSalle,Il
                    61Hawk
                    60Lark
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Reference: Location of VIN #

Thanks to all who responded. My VIN # is V167703. Body style is 3HC52030. The previous owner had owned the car since 1983. He indicated to me that the engine is a 1953 rather than a 1952. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Henk

Comment

Hank, The VIN number is the engine number and if he changed the engine to a 53 the number is in the front like Matt's pic. and will not be the same unless they ground off the 53 number and stamped the old number in. You are going to have fun, going to the DMV is more fun than a root cannal unless you are in to B&D S&M.

Comment

Thanks Allan for the encouraging words.

Comment

Henk,let us know what state you live in,maybe someone can come up with some knowledge of your states DMV habits or rules.

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            60Lark
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Matthew - At 16 it is good to realize that you are still learning and that there is a lot to learn, even just about Studebakers <G,G>.

quote:MB -keep that picture handy,you know this comes up often. I tried to take the same pic,but it didn't come out well.Yours will make it easy for people to find the engine # on the later v-8s!!
                              I'm gonna keep it on file. Google is your friend...

63 Daytona HT
                              51 2R16 dump truck

Comment

Working...
                              X