This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232 top piston groove

On the 232 V-8 (and maybe other Studebaker engines as well) what is the top groove for, other than to fill up with carbon? Maybe that is its only purpose? Does the carbon build-up in this upper groove act as a '4th ring' to improve the seal?

This might have been a topic better suited for the "Technical Forum", but it really does not matter, we switch topics around between them quite often! The top groove is found on most all original "Studebaker" pistons on late models that I have ever seen. That is their "Patented heat dam", to better distribute the piston head heat to the cylinder walls, the way I understand it. It is a Studebaker "exclusive" designed by their own engineers. Does it work?[:0] Who knows, I have always found what you did, it's full of carbon! Anyway if you buy newly produced pistons they will not have it, and don't need it. I have seen '60's aftermarket (NORS) pistons however, that actually copied it! Rich.

quote:Originally posted by tonymaddux

On the 232 V-8 (and maybe other Studebaker engines as well) what is the top groove for, other than to fill up with carbon? Maybe that is its only purpose? Does the carbon build-up in this upper groove act as a '4th ring' to improve the seal?
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not sure why the Stude guys did it...but currently a lot of custom pistons use that between the top and second ring as a sort of buffer. It helps keep the top ring from fluttering at higher rpm when the pressure is high in the crank case and suddenly gets past the lower rings.

All in all it helps the top ring stay in contact with the cylinder.

My guess would be something simillar only slightly different. It still is a place for an extra volume of gas to build up and soften the blow before the hot gasses hit the top ring during combustion.

Anyone else?

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X