Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brake lights not working '60 Lark------fix ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake lights not working '60 Lark------fix ???

What is the test then fix for brake lights that don't work?? I have replaced the old brake light switch, and I do have power in one of the wires at the switch. thanks...brad

Did you clean out all the crud from behind the switch when you replaced it. There was a guy came by one day and had the same problem he had checked everything I took the switch out and there was no way fluid could get to it, I cleaned it out and they worked just fine. Just a thought.

Comment

Did you clean out all the crud from behind the switch when you replaced it. There was a guy came by one day and had the same problem he had checked everything I took the switch out and there was no way fluid could get to it, I cleaned it out and they worked just fine. Just a thought.

Comment

The power goes THRU the brake litw switch when the brakes are applied and then up thru the turn signal switch. You could check to see that all the little wires in the junction block near the steering column are all in place and that their little bullet ends are nice 'n clean.
        If you get the brake switch power to the TS switch (via a red wire with a white tracer), with the switch centered, you should get power to both brake lite filaments via their respective wires - one tan and one green.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The power goes THRU the brake litw switch when the brakes are applied and then up thru the turn signal switch. You could check to see that all the little wires in the junction block near the steering column are all in place and that their little bullet ends are nice 'n clean.
          If you get the brake switch power to the TS switch (via a red wire with a white tracer), with the switch centered, you should get power to both brake lite filaments via their respective wires - one tan and one green.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quick test - jumper the two connectors that go to the brake light switch together, if the lights still don't work, start looking at the turn signal switch like Biggs suggested. If they do work, it's the pressure switch.

good luck,

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quick test - jumper the two connectors that go to the brake light switch together, if the lights still don't work, start looking at the turn signal switch like Biggs suggested. If they do work, it's the pressure switch.

good luck,

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

On a '60, isn't there a fuse link in there somewhere? Forgive my ignorance, I ran into a similar problem with my '62 and it was an in-line fuse. That's when I found out that there's no board for them, like in my '63-4. Does your dome light come on? It's on the same fuse as the stop light (according to the shop manual). Where that fuse is I've no idea.[8)] Um, under the dash near the light pull?[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

On a '60, isn't there a fuse link in there somewhere? Forgive my ignorance, I ran into a similar problem with my '62 and it was an in-line fuse. That's when I found out that there's no board for them, like in my '63-4. Does your dome light come on? It's on the same fuse as the stop light (according to the shop manual). Where that fuse is I've no idea.[8)] Um, under the dash near the light pull?[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
                  Ron Smith
                  Ron Smith

Comment

Hell Ron, I've forgiven your ignorance LONG ago! Question is, can you forgive Mine!??[:0][xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Hell Ron, I've forgiven your ignorance LONG ago! Question is, can you forgive Mine!??[:0][xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Golly gee Mr. Biggs... What's to forgive? That was a question directed at you. You're the expert.

By the by... Does this mean I'm right?[?] Kewell![8D]

Lotsa Larks!
                        Ron Smith
                        Ron Smith

Comment

Golly gee Mr. Biggs... What's to forgive? That was a question directed at you. You're the expert.

By the by... Does this mean I'm right?[?] Kewell![8D]

Lotsa Larks!
                          Ron Smith
                          Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                          X