PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Motor Car Co.

Randy_G
07-22-2006, 10:40 PM
I know all of you know about this "Company", I have been watching the site for about 2 years now and not much has changed I even considered dropping a resume to them just see what would happen. I would love to see a new American built car come along. But is it really ever going to happen, I am sorry to say I doubt it. I would love to eat my words, I have salt & pepper ready. What do you guys think?

Randy

www.automotivehistoryonline.com

Studedude1961
07-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Randy when it comes to this new rendition of the Studebaker Motor Co. one word springs to mind and that word is "moribund." I doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Old enough to remember the "Fascination" and "Dale" motorcar pipedreams and the whole Stude SUV seems to be more of the same.

avantilover
07-23-2006, 01:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Randy when it comes to this new rendition of the Studebaker Motor Co. one word springs to mind and that word is "moribund." I doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Old enough to remember the "Fascination" and "Dale" motorcar pipedreams and the whole Stude SUV seems to be more of the same.
The issue is surely one of finance,how would what would effectively be a start-up gain the funds to commence Auto production[?] I was reading about one of the Chinese automakers who want to enter the US market, they have asked their US rep to find US$400,000,000 to build a factory.

Perhaps all that could be achieved is small limited production like the Avanti Company, it would be difficult enough for a company like the Billion dollar Corporation Studebaker-Packard once was to recommence or start production almost impossible for a start-up.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

Scott
07-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Similarly, the Packard Motor Car Company, which was resurrected in Arizona a few years ago has been for sale for a year or more. They actually built at least one new running prototype car with their new V12 in it, but couldn't get off the ground. I read somewhere that they did have several cars already on order, but couldn't fill the monetary gap to build them. Unlike the Studebaker Motor Company, Packard Motors DOES own the rights to the Packard logo of old and the name. That all goes with the sale.

Link: http://www.packardmotorcar.com/

Roscomacaw
07-23-2006, 09:44 AM
It ain't gonna happen. Not unless (as these guys have said already) it some little, bitty, sporty or niche vehicle that can get buy on selling timy mumbers per years (The new ALL-ELLECTRIC Tesla roadster's an example - of course - at $100K + a $10K per year maintenance charge.......... how many do you think the attendees of this forum will account for???[V] )

Any inspired group that blithely pranced onto the scene with a whole, new car would quickly get it's feet mired to a halt with all the govt regulations, etc..
Find a nice, thick steak to use your salt & pepper on!;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS