Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a value-may have 2 sell this car.

I just bought this thing and my wife really likes it but I just got hit with a $5300 bill for my daughter's diabetes pump when we went to pick it up. Damn insurance was suppose to pay fpr 90% and wont pay forany of it.

So I have this car and approx 5 Mopars for sale. What ever sells first goes, so If can get rid of some of the other cars first. then I will keep this Commander. My wife loves it but sometimes its CRUNCH TIME. I have had the mopars for sale for several weeks in an effort to keep this, but no luck as of yet. Anyone need a 72 Challenger, 72 Duster, 56 Plymouth wagon, 66 Dart vert or a 392 HEMI?

So, if I can get an idea on what its worth, I would appreciate it. I posted some pics and just bought it for a little over 3K. I actually asked what it was worth before I bought it and received several different responses but didnt have this many pics to give a good idea. Is it worth any more or that about it.

It has ZERO rust and has not run in 10 years. Its actually very very straight and I believe it was originally blue since I can see some blue paint in the engine bay. The interior I am assumning is not original but its in good shape with no cuts. The pics are showing it with ten years of dust on it.

MANY MANY PICS OF IT HERE

I have not had time to try an dstart it but am assumning that the fuel lines and gas tank need to be replaced. Or at least the fuel line and clean the tank. I am sure its varnish. I was actually working on other cars and going to put this in the shop this winter and start playing with it.

[b]]On another note if the other cars do sell first thenI am keeping this. I see the wheels are not 4 1/2x5, so are they an odd ball or what will work when ordering some new rims/tires and whats the fattest tire that will fit under the rear of this rig? I have no intentions of keeping it original in the way of rims/tires. I want the rod look. I wont mod the body at all. So I am hoping that the other sell first, so I can keep my only studebaker. I love the dash and glovebox. It has a straight 6 with that OD unit, which is the pull handle????/correct?[/b

It is very hard to give a fair appraisal on a car like this. The body and running gear look to be in very nice condition, but it doesn't run, and the interior is not correct. I have seen rust buckets that run go for $2000.00 locally, although I would not pay that for one. I don't see cars without rust around hear unless they have been restored, then they go for big bucks. I think your best bet is to eBay it, start it at $100.00 and put a reserve of what you paid for it. If it were me, I would eBay the mopars first, using the same techique, and maybe I would get to keep the Stude. Wish I lved closer, I could give a better assessment if I could see it in person.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

It is very hard to give a fair appraisal on a car like this. The body and running gear look to be in very nice condition, but it doesn't run, and the interior is not correct. I have seen rust buckets that run go for $2000.00 locally, although I would not pay that for one. I don't see cars without rust around hear unless they have been restored, then they go for big bucks. I think your best bet is to eBay it, start it at $100.00 and put a reserve of what you paid for it. If it were me, I would eBay the mopars first, using the same techique, and maybe I would get to keep the Stude. Wish I lved closer, I could give a better assessment if I could see it in person.
      Whacker, we dont see much rust around these parts. Pretty dry here.

I actually did ebay my challenger once and just listed it again a few minutes ago. Its very odd, I want $2500 for the 72 Challenger and the E bodies, cudas and challengers are usually flying. Right now, nothing moving real fast, dont know why. And I listed my 56 wagon three times-- no luck. I really want to keep this, as I believe itwill run with little effort but made a promist to my little one to get her pump when she kept her levels at a certain rate( blood sugar levels) and when she did we hit this snag. So what ever goes first.

I will wait and see what happens to this challenger on the second go-round.

I have a couple coming to look at the wagon but its only a 1K car. Paid $1500 for it and was totally lied to by the seller. Bought it after seeing pics-never do that again.

Dave

Comment

'66 Dart convertible? if I only had some $$$... ideal for me would be a V-8 stickshift in decent driver condition, if it is drop me a message, I shouldn't even be considering buying another car, but for THAT one... I might sell the Porsche for a convertible...

nate

(car slut)

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

'66 Dart convertible? if I only had some $$$... ideal for me would be a V-8 stickshift in decent driver condition, if it is drop me a message, I shouldn't even be considering buying another car, but for THAT one... I might sell the Porsche for a convertible...

nate

(car slut)

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          the 66 is a roller, but cheap and was originally a 273 4 speed car, very straight rust free project.

Dave

Comment

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boy! DON'T LOOK N8! it's a soft-top![V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I got pointed in its direction, it's exactly what I was hoping for but way too much of a project for me. Would make someone with more free time than I a nice driver someday though.

nate

(yeah, I know, it's not a Stude... but I have a soft spot for the old MoPar A-bodies, and just about anything old and German...)

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I got pointed in its direction, it's exactly what I was hoping for but way too much of a project for me. Would make someone with more free time than I a nice driver someday though.

nate

(yeah, I know, it's not a Stude... but I have a soft spot for the old MoPar A-bodies, and just about anything old and German...)

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                Yep, the ole darts a major project but I am open to offewrs.

Do you think I can get my $3200 back out of my 50 Studebaker, or did I pay too much. Maybe I will just sell the 70 Cuda vert and keep everything else.

Dave

Comment

Well, I guess I will throw it( the Studebaker) on ebay tonight and see what happens. no real interest in the challenger. thats odd for these cars.

Dave

Comment

Dave, I love the car- but am selling my 57 wagon right now on eBay, as noted here previously... so I'm just adding my best wishes...

I mostly want to offer my semi-anonymous, cyber-space support for your reason for selling... my son has Cystic Fibrosis; so I have a little experience myself with medical costs...

They say it's a life-span shortener, but he'll be 16 on 9/1 and is doing VERY well; super-bright, and just dwarfs me as a human being (even though I can't get him interested in old cars!).

I know this is WAY OT, but wanted you to know that someone else who's been down a similar road is also keeping a good thought for your daughter, yourself, and your cars (in that order)....

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Dave, I love the car- but am selling my 57 wagon right now on eBay, as noted here previously... so I'm just adding my best wishes...

I mostly want to offer my semi-anonymous, cyber-space support for your reason for selling... my son has Cystic Fibrosis; so I have a little experience myself with medical costs...

They say it's a life-span shortener, but he'll be 16 on 9/1 and is doing VERY well; super-bright, and just dwarfs me as a human being (even though I can't get him interested in old cars!).

I know this is WAY OT, but wanted you to know that someone else who's been down a similar road is also keeping a good thought for your daughter, yourself, and your cars (in that order)....

Parish, central NY 13131

Thanks a lot for the response. I love these cars and always will. But a few years ago I was one of the lead Investigators for my Dept. When my daughter became ill, I finished my two year gig in Narcotics and when it was over I asked to be demoted from Top step Investigator to Patrol officer.Ten plus years as a Det. It was a no brainer then and its the same way now. Cars come and go, but KIDS DONT come back. You have to enjoy every day like its the last for you and everyone involved.

I feel the same way about my daughter, shes my hero. They thought she had cancer when this first happened. So when they said Type I diabetes, we thought big deal. Then we almost lost her several times last year. She kept getting sick and throwing up, which thre her diabetes into a turmoil, and then once again they thought Cancer. Test after test after test and they could not figure it out.

I stopped in for a drink one night and a healthfood friend of mine whos a bartender diagnosed my daughter as a Celiac. She's alergic to Glutin in wheat, barley, oats,ect. We self diagnosed her at that point and she doing better. We also discovered shes alergic to Nuts.

Since Dec of 05, she's getting better and better and she is my hero. She is making a glutin free cook book and wants her own cooking show. She takes recipes and turns them into glutin free ones. If you have noticed lately, the shelves at getting more and more full of glutin free stuff. Glutin is a toxic and they say responsible for most of the acid reflux.

In any case, it everything for her. Shes even home schooled now. She is healthy(knock on wood) and like her Idol (Halley Berry) yes she's a type one diabetic since childhood, she wants to make something of herself and is very disaplined.

Today was a day that I decided to also sell my dream car, my 70 Cuda convertible. You think some of this Studebaker stuff is expensive. Try buying a convert Cuda. But it will start our new home in Idaho. I just have to many cars and crap and it hit me this weekend.

I will keep several cars and make my 70 Barracuda into a HEMI cuda HT someday. But the vert is worth 70K easy and this will help out a lot.

Hope your son stay well and hug him every day. It sounds like you know that already- these cars are nice but JUST CARS.

Oh, bu the way, here is Danni and the Studebaker. Shes 12 and this is the first car she helped me pick up and load. She was proud that she drove it onto the triler.

Dave

Comment

Well, its on ebay for a day and its at over $1800. Another $1400 and I break even. My daughter told me this morning to sell her 70 Roadrunner and give her this one. Wish she spoke up earlier.

Dave

ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=013

Comment

You can see by the pic she's got a lot of spirit- I bet she's gonna do great things! I know that since my son was diagnosed at 4 months old, a really big benefit of it was real perspective on life, and appreciation; after all, NONE of us have any guarantees! People wonder why, among other things, we go to Disney World 4 or 5 times a year- even though it's 1300 miles away![8D]

As for the car, you can always pull the ad and list the Dodge....

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Why will the insurance not pay? Is it something that looks like they should pay and say something like it to new of a medical device ? If it is along that line, write the state Insurance Dept. Go to the top . Insurance Companies sometimes interpert the policy wrong and need a nudge. Check with the doctor and see if the paper work needs to be re worded.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

Why will the insurance not pay? Is it something that looks like they should pay and say something like it to new of a medical device ? If it is along that line, write the state Insurance Dept. Go to the top . Insurance Companies sometimes interpert the policy wrong and need a nudge. Check with the doctor and see if the paper work needs to be re worded.
                              Not only did they not pay, but I paid $632.00 a month as a Police officer for my county insurance last year. I dropped my wife because I could not afford it this year and went with Blue Cross/ blue shield and a high end Deductable for her. Its still $200.00 for my daughter a month and another $20.00 for myself. Down the road in Rerno, its 100 paid for the officer and whole family. Its also zero pay out on braces, ect for dental. I pay cash for those too. Not the best insurance, it was much better several years ago.

We are currently in negotiations and hope things change before we loose even more guy to other agencies.

And as far as the car goes, I cornered her tonight on that very topic--- she choose the Roadrunner. However shes had it since she was 3 years old.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X