This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious golden hawk

I have a chance to buy what appears to be a 57 or 58 Golden Hawk. Something appears a bit odd, though. Although it is a Hardtop (no pillar) has the v-8 engine with the metal housing on top of the carb for the air inlet and has all golden hawk trim, it doesn't have the boost gauge or the tachometer on the dash. It is also missing the supercharger. I realize that it isn't unusual for golden hawks to be missing the supercharger, but didn't they all come with a boost gauge and a tach?

Yes, they did have those two gages. What does the body tag say? That's the tag near the right hand hood hinge. If the top line ends with a K7, it (that body tub anyway) started life as a Golden Hawk.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's also not unusual for someone to have altered the hood and trim to make it look like a Golden Hawk. To verify the model you'll need the numbers. Body tag on the cowl under passenger side of hood should say K7.

Brad
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      33 Rockne 10
      51 Commander Starlight
      53 Commander Starlight
      previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I looked at the hawk again last night. The body tub number is 57H-K7. VIN is 6101358.

So it looks like it is a real Golden Hawk. I still wonder why the dash does not have boost or tach. Judging by everything else in the car (carpet, seat upholstery, headliner) everything seems to be as it was when it left the factory, although much the worse for wear and tear.

Body wise the car is in good shape. The only rust is on the two front fenders near the vents, just like every other Studebaker ever made.

The undercarriage is rust free as are the floor boards.

It is missing the supercharger and the air cleaner. Other than that it appears complete.

The seller wants $6,000.00. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comment

It's possible that someone swapped out the dash for one from a lower trim level Hawk because the original was not in the same shape. The good news is if you cut the hole and add the boost gauge, nobody will ever know the difference.

If it is in good condition, and is only missing the items you mention (i.e. all the supercharger pulleys and brackets are still intact, still has the original fuel pump, etc.) it might be a good deal. I suspect it will take you a while to find a full working tach setup but I can help with the wiring once you find all the pieces (see my web site.) I'd take a good look at the drivetrain and make sure everything is all original, as I would ASSume that you'd want to put it back to stock. If it's an automatic, it should have a water cooled FOM; if a stickshift it should have a T-85 with overdrive, not the normal, smaller T-86. Check the engine number and make sure it makes sense for a '57. I don't know what to look for to make sure that it's a real Golden Hawk engine, but I ASSume it would be the head casting numbers. Maybe someone else can jump in here. It should still have a two piece driveshaft as that change was not made until 1958.

good luck,

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I hadn't considered the pulleys and brackets. All of that is missing as well.

I also forgot to mention that the engine sounds like it has a bad rod. I knocks pretty bad.

Comment

That serial (VIN) number is correct for a 1957 Golden Hawk. The engine number should start with a PS_____. Look at top left (driver's side) front of engine block, next to the oil fill pipe.
              Is there a clock or a blank-off plate on the dash just to right of center where the tach should be? Is there a hole or anything at top center of dash for the vacuum/pressure gauge? And is there two sets of distributor cap hold-down clips riding piggy back to accomodate the tach sender?

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

One thing in your favor if you do decide to buy it, all the dashboards have the holes already opened behind the dash face. Since its going to need work, you can trace the holes from behind, then when you remove the instruments, which hold the panel in place ou can cut out the proper sized holes.

When you say the flloors look good, what about the sub floor boxes, and do the doors sag, or droop when open, and can you close them with out force?

Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell...... aka as a tow truck queen

Comment

Supercharger and carb box can be had for $500. but I don't have the bracket and pulley.

Brad
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  33 Rockne 10
                  51 Commander Starlight
                  53 Commander Starlight
                  previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I don't have the bracket and pulley.
                    I wish this post had been a week earlier. I think that I have both, but it is packed away at a shed at my mother's house. I was there Saturday and don't expect to be back in the area until at least August 5th. If you are still in need of it then, drop me a line through this forum.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                    1948 M-16 grain truck
                    1949 2R16A grain truck
                    1949 2R17A fire truck
                    1955 E-38 grain truck
                    1957 3E-40 flatbed
                    1961 6E-28 grain truck
                    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                    1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
                    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And various other "treasures"
                    Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Working...
                    X