It's great when things work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's great when things work!

Yesterday we moved the Lark from our Uncle's barn next door into our garage. We had a pretty fun time, actually. We pulled it using my fathr in law's ATV, and even with all the wet, muddy ground, we didn't have any problems getting the car over to our place.

Once we got it to our diveway, I fired up the air compressor, blew enough dust, debris, and grit off the car to fill a trash can, and on a Lark (Oy, enough with the bad puns!) we put a battery into the thing to see if the motor was still moving.

Believe it or not, right from the get-go, that motor started cranking. I was very happy to see that. Sure, it's still going to need to be rebuilt, but at least it's not all rusted together.

--------
    Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

I don't remember if you mentioned the body type of your Lark. I have a '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop and love to drive it. It's acceleration is leisurely, to say the least, but it always gets attention wherever it goes.
    It sounds like the restoration will not be too difficult.
    If you're not a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club, you should be.
    There's a lot of terrific info each month in "Turning Wheels" magazine that the club publishes. Also, join a local club, if one exists. It's amazing how much help people are willing to give.
    When you get some pictures, please share them on this site.
    Best of luck.
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I don't remember if you mentioned the body type of your Lark. I have a '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop and love to drive it. It's acceleration is leisurely, to say the least, but it always gets attention wherever it goes.
      It sounds like the restoration will not be too difficult.
      If you're not a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club, you should be.
      There's a lot of terrific info each month in "Turning Wheels" magazine that the club publishes. Also, join a local club, if one exists. It's amazing how much help people are willing to give.
      When you get some pictures, please share them on this site.
      Best of luck.
      Rog

Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Alright Jim!!!!!
        Moving right along.
        You will be driving your lark in no time.

Erin Hays
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Lark
        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Alright Jim!!!!!
          Moving right along.
          You will be driving your lark in no time.

Erin Hays
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Lark
          1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Finally have a chance to reply to you...

Many here know me as a major Lark nerd [:I] I have a 60 Lark 4 dr. "in the process" (do a search for my ongoing thread titled 'Project Lark Rescue') and a 60 Lark wagon; plus a couple other parts cars- and counting!! Don't know why I love Larks so much; I just know I do!!

I have extensive automotive knowledge; just not a lot of Stude specific knowledge. The great folks here have been the ultimate source of info and encouragement- so don't be afraid to ask!!

Keep one thing in mind: The actual resale value of your car is not terribly high; probably never will be... you'll end up with more invested in it than you can get out. But DON'T let that be a deterrance! These things are more than worth saving for posterity- and the family connection you have with yours makes in a no-brainer!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Finally have a chance to reply to you...

Many here know me as a major Lark nerd [:I] I have a 60 Lark 4 dr. "in the process" (do a search for my ongoing thread titled 'Project Lark Rescue') and a 60 Lark wagon; plus a couple other parts cars- and counting!! Don't know why I love Larks so much; I just know I do!!

I have extensive automotive knowledge; just not a lot of Stude specific knowledge. The great folks here have been the ultimate source of info and encouragement- so don't be afraid to ask!!

Keep one thing in mind: The actual resale value of your car is not terribly high; probably never will be... you'll end up with more invested in it than you can get out. But DON'T let that be a deterrance! These things are more than worth saving for posterity- and the family connection you have with yours makes in a no-brainer!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:The actual resale value of your car is not terribly high; probably never will be... you'll end up with more invested in it than you can get out. But DON'T let that be a deterrance!
                Oh, I won't let that bother me. I hope this cars stays in my family long after I've gone and had my name posted down in the obituary forum. This old Lark is about family, dreams, and all that sentimental stuff. :-) And believe me, I'll have questions for all of you lark owners out there!

Erin,

I really felt like I might be making progress when I heard the motor turn. It did make me feel good, I have to admit. I set my goal to have this car on the road no later than it's 50th birthday in 2010. The more I look at it, the less I'm worried. The floor is better than I remembered, though there is some serious body sagging I'm going to need to address.

raprice,

I believe I have the Lark VI Regal Hardtop two door, but don't quote me on that. I'm not an expert on all things Stude...yet. I have a couple videos on YouTube about it already, and another one will probably be going up soon. My Grandpa had a black '59 he used for parts. I wish I had that car too. It would make getting what I need a little easier, for sure!

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

quote:The actual resale value of your car is not terribly high; probably never will be... you'll end up with more invested in it than you can get out. But DON'T let that be a deterrance!
                  Oh, I won't let that bother me. I hope this cars stays in my family long after I've gone and had my name posted down in the obituary forum. This old Lark is about family, dreams, and all that sentimental stuff. :-) And believe me, I'll have questions for all of you lark owners out there!

Erin,

I really felt like I might be making progress when I heard the motor turn. It did make me feel good, I have to admit. I set my goal to have this car on the road no later than it's 50th birthday in 2010. The more I look at it, the less I'm worried. The floor is better than I remembered, though there is some serious body sagging I'm going to need to address.

raprice,

I believe I have the Lark VI Regal Hardtop two door, but don't quote me on that. I'm not an expert on all things Stude...yet. I have a couple videos on YouTube about it already, and another one will probably be going up soon. My Grandpa had a black '59 he used for parts. I wish I had that car too. It would make getting what I need a little easier, for sure!

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

hey jim,
                    you can post your body tag on the firewall and should get you what your car is. or you can send you serial number to studebaker national musuem in south bend.that and 20 0r 25 bucks will get you a copy of the build sheet.
                    erin

Erin Hays
                    1961 Hawk
                    1962 Lark
                    1963 Wagonaire

Comment

hey jim,
                      you can post your body tag on the firewall and should get you what your car is. or you can send you serial number to studebaker national musuem in south bend.that and 20 0r 25 bucks will get you a copy of the build sheet.
                      erin

Erin Hays
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Lark
                      1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                      X