X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than just a daily driver....

Hi all:

I'm looking for some input from this fine group...

I'm toying with the idea of using my 1955 Commander to make sales call and for "advertising". (I'm thinking this would be one of the best ways for me to enjoy the car and perhaps even earn a tax write-off - I'll check with my accountant on the tax write-off idea).

Question: Has anyone come across business signs or advertising that would look "correct" on a 1955 Studebaker Commander?

I've seen taxi style advertising mounted to the roof and those removable magnetic signs that you can put on the door but I was hoping someone might have an example of a professionally painted sign on a vintage car that would do the trick.

As always, your opinions and input are valued and appreciated!

Tom_CentralValley
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr

How's this:

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
    63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
    51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
    MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
    Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

Excellent Matt. That's the idea! I'm half expecting some folks to reply and say that any sign would ruin the car but I'm hoping that if it's done right it would look good. I like your example with the complementary colors. Thanks for your help. Hopefully, I'll end up with something I can print out and take to a local sign painter.

Tom_CentralValley
      Three Rivers, CA
      1955 Commander 4 dr
      Tom
      Three Rivers, CA
      1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Tom, please - get magnetic signs like the one Matt showed. Surely you could get ones with a black backround so they LOOKED painted on.[B)] But to PAINT on that beautiful car?????? [V]

Of course, it's yours to do as you like.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Take a look at the following website to see other examples of "real" rolling ads.

In-depth coverage of the automotive industry, vehicle recalls, concept car releases, spy shots, auto show news, celebrity car crashes, first drive reports and more

Regards

Bob Feaganes (stude53)
          53 Starliner Hardtop
          Newton Grove, NC
          [img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/NewBitmapImage.jpg[/img=left]

Comment

Thanks stude53, that's a great story. I like that they get the cars in good mechanical shape and don't just use the "shells".

Bob, you're on target with the idea that the advertisement should be removable. The sign example that Matt gave would work if it is magnetic - although it's a bit small. Some time ago I came across cars with "wraps" where the entire car was an advertisement - that's too much. Like this:

I'm not sure exacly what would be "perfect" for me but something a bit larger than a magnetic door sign and that I could take off and on and as a bonus might look "period correct". - If that all makes sense.[?] As usually, I'm making this more difficult than it has to be but it's all in the name of trying to do it right. Thanks again!

Tom_CentralValley
            Three Rivers, CA
            1955 Commander 4 dr
            Tom
            Three Rivers, CA
            1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

That Coupe Express is Jeff Rice's (DEEPNHOCK) and the Velveeta sign was a joke played on him by some other guys. They even put t box of Velveeta cheese on the engine.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
              63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
              51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
              52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
              MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
              Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

Tom, here's another thought...vinyl graphics. Yes, they stay on the car, but unlike a painted sign, they can be removed without damaging the paint. The signs can be as little or as large as you want them. Use a font that is more in keeping with the '50's and logos that also look fiftyish (as an example, see Donald Fagan's video from the '80's 'New Frontier'). You get a painted look at at fraction of the price and it won't damage the paint.

Vinyl is used on everything from race cars to delivery trucks.

The bad part about magnetic panels is that if the leading edge becomes even a little loose, it will pull the magnetic panel right off the car.

One other thing. If you have collector car insurance or 'antique' plates, you'll need to change both. If a collector car insurer ever got wind of the car being used for business, they either drop you or possibly deny a claim, or both.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tom just hit on points that I was going to make. The signs are a good idea, but check with your insurance first. Once you put those business signs on your vehicle, it becomes a commercial use. That would not be allowed with collector plates, collector insurance or even regular pleasure use insurance. Also, in some places, some roads, like parkways, do not allow lettering over a certain size, like two inches high. When I worked for a livery service, we had to take the magnetic signs off the vans to go on the parkway. Some restricted residential areas do not allow overnight parking outdoors of business vehicles with signs. Where my MiL lives, one neighbor had to remove his signs, cover his signs or find another place to park his vehicle.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY
                  1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                  1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The depth of knowledge of the users of this forum never ceases to amaze me. Sincere thanks for that input on insurance issues and the idea of using vinyl and more.

Tom_CentralValley
                    Three Rivers, CA
                    1955 Commander 4 dr
                    Tom
                    Three Rivers, CA
                    1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Alan, I have the wrapwaround windshield,,Y6 car. I think the wrap around, Y6 was the follow through frame for many years. Could any one comfirm that??[?][?][8D]

Comment

Tom, I hope the issues mentioned are more of a bump in the road than a road block. I've had the same thought. I've run my own business in the past as an insurance adjuster, and the thought of using a 'plain jane' vintage car for doing my inspections is still running through my head.

I like all makes so the thought of a 4-door Lark, or an older Champion or Commander (or a Fury II, Chevy Bel Air, Ford Custom, or intermediate Fairlane) to make my inspection runs for other vintage cars is a fun idea for me. All I'd need is the narrow tie, '60's type suite and hat, ah, hmmm, um, maybe not quite that far...[:0][)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

All I'd need is the narrow tie, '60's type suite and hat, ah, hmmm, um, maybe not quite that far...[:0][)]
                          And don't forget a pair of Arnold Palmer-style Ray-Bans

---------------------------
                          Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh, I don't know Tom. Many of the styles of the fifties and sixties are back in style.[8D] If you kept with the really nice stuff, in lieu of the wild and trendy that came out in the sixties (gold Laame suits, sequins, etc...), it could look really great. Certainly in keeping with the vintage car.

Of course, what would an old fogey like me know...

Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                            X