This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to club

Hello everyone I'm new to this group. I just had a queston. My father just gave me his 56 flight hawk. And I was wondering how rare is it? I was told all flight hawk's were meant to be shipped over seas. what I can tell you it has a 6 banger 3 speed trans. any help would be great I can hardly wait to go pick it up.
    thanks. john

'56 Flight Hawks,There were 4389 coupes built,and 560 hardtops.I think most of the hardtops were exported. The total of all Hawks built for '56 was 19,165.
    Nice gift from your dad!! Let's see some pictures when you get the car!!
    Welcome aboard!

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    60Lark
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

It's rare, but not exceedingly so. The notion that most of them went overseas probably comes from recognizing that alot of overseas Studes were purposely fitted with the 6 cylinder engine for reasons of fuel economy and taxation (with respect to horsepower rating).[}]
      A nice Stude is a nice Stude, but the preference is for the guts and power of the V8 versions over a six. Not detracting from your car, mind you - just stating what market values tend to reveal.[8D]

I'd surely consider myself lucky if someone passed a nice Flight Hawk my way. By the way, 1956 was the only year for the Flight Hawk. In 57 & 58, if you wanted a 6cylinder Hawk, you got it as an option in a Silver Hawk. One could opt for the 6 in a Hawk right thru to the last of them in '64 - but not many in this country did.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Technically, the six was not available on US GT Hawks, not sure about 61's.

Arnold Md.
        Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 R1 GT Hawk
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1/AC
        63 Avanti R2/4 speed
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Hawk
        51 Commander
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Technically.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

so how do you tell the diff. between a hardtop an coupe?

Comment

The hardtop has no door post.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
              1948 M-16 grain truck
              1949 2R16A grain truck
              1949 2R17A fire truck
              1955 E-38 grain truck
              1957 3E-40 flatbed
              1961 6E-28 grain truck
              1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
              1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
              1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
              1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
              1964 Cruiser
              And various other "treasures"
              Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Might I say that a hardtop (known as a (K-body in Studebaker circles) - with all four quarter windows down - there's just one big opening on either side of the passenger area, from the vent window to the roof sail panel at the rear. A feature that really adds to the eye appeal but is almost unheard of in today's windows-up, A/C'd cocoons on wheels.
                A "Coupe" has an upper frame around the door glass (2-door - also known as a C-body in Studebaker parlance) and thereby the "post" that Guido speaks of.
                Postwar Stude coupes either have no rear quarter windows (47-52 Starlight and 3-passenger style) or little swing-out rear quarter windows (that is to say, they don't roll down - ala the 53 thru 61 C-body cars and Avantis too.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Technically, the six was not available on US GT Hawks, not sure about 61's.
                  JDP,

Kim Kidwell has a '63 GT with OHV six and 3 on the tree down the bay from you in Deltaville, Va. He also just finished up a '58 GH that he brought to the Yorktown meet over Memorial Day weekend.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                  1948 M-16 grain truck
                  1949 2R16A grain truck
                  1949 2R17A fire truck
                  1955 E-38 grain truck
                  1957 3E-40 flatbed
                  1961 6E-28 grain truck
                  1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                  1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
                  1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                  1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And various other "treasures"
                  Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

What a nice gift from your dad. The Flight Hawk is a beautiful car.
                    As for me, I don't care how rare it is, I would just like to drive and enjoy such a nice car.
                    Best of luck with it.
                    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Speak of the devil my father just showed up here in Alberta in his RV.Iask him about it he said its a coupe has the post which makes sense cause it has those small push out side windows.but the real kicker is he said I can also have his truck If I recall its a 46 2ton
                      both the car an truck are restored.exept the car Ihave to redo the brakes been sitting for alot of years. he was also a member of the stude club for years since the car he has owned for about 32 years

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bruin

Speak of the devil my father just showed up here in Alberta in his RV.Iask him about it he said its a coupe has the post which makes sense cause it has those small push out side windows.but the real kicker is he said I can also have his truck If I recall its a 46 2ton
                        both the car an truck are restored.exept the car Ihave to redo the brakes been sitting for alot of years. he was also a member of the stude club for years since the car he has owned for about 32 years
                        Sounds Great!!! If I may make a suggestion, because the car's been sitting for a long time you'd be advised to flush the fuel tank and lines, also the engine block to remove all accumulated gunk and also the radiator. I'm sure those like Mr Biggs or JDP will be able to make other suggestions.

Goodluck with it

Also look at this article on what to do with your car when you get it home - http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_things2do.asp

John Clements
                        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                        Lockleys South Australia
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bruin

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by bruin

Speak of the devil my father just showed up here in Alberta in his RV.

Where in Alberta are you from? A couple of us are in the Calgary/Red Deer area who post here.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X