This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust question

I was convinced that my 66 Cruiser still had an exhaust leak, but the shop that did the last work said they think they took care of it and another mechanic I took it to said he couldn't seem to find any leak, but I still get strong exhaust fumes when I drive the car - expecially when I accelerate. The trunk has several rust holes (some are more than 1 or two inches across), and I have no cover over the gas tank sending unit.

The question I have is, is it possible that there is no leak but that aerodynamics are bringing exhaust into the car after it exits the exhaust pipe?

Yes it is possible.
    The farther out the back the better.

It just depends on the car shape. You've seen big black marks on older (leaded gas) cars, the bumper, etc. It depends on a lot of things.

Easy thing to do to test it all....duct tape all your holes up and go out for a cruze. Then get out the welder and make some patches.

Good luck.

Mike

Comment

Exhaust can also get into the trunk (and the cockpit) via a failing trunk seal. There is a low pressure area behind these old cars that will tend to allow exhaust gas into every potential crack.

If you can smell exhaust while driving the car...STOP DRIVING IT UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU HAVE IT FIXED. Carbon Monoxide is quite deadly. You can get very cheap CO detectors ($3-$4) at wood stove sales places or pilot shops. When you think you've got it fixed, get one of these detectors and take it for a ride.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have the same problem, it is the trunk seal. I have good gaskets in place. Tape the trunk with masking tape to seal, if problem is gone you know the exhaust source. Windows down , I have no problem.

Comment

I even can smell it even with a window down and wing windows open. The seal on the trunk lid is so-so. I've noticed the smell tends to be a little better if I keep the right vent closed (the knob under the dash). The left one doesn't seem to make much difference.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I was convinced that my 66 Cruiser still had an exhaust leak, but the shop that did the last work said they think they took care of it and another mechanic I took it to said he couldn't seem to find any leak, but I still get strong exhaust fumes when I drive the car - expecially when I accelerate. The trunk has several rust holes (some are more than 1 or two inches across), and I have no cover over the gas tank sending unit.

The question I have is, is it possible that there is no leak but that aerodynamics are bringing exhaust into the car after it exits the exhaust pipe?
            As the others have said, rust holes in the trunk, and the trunk lid seal can contribute to your problem. Also, you have a '66. This year, and this year only, the Stude sedans had "flow through" ventilation. There were slits in the package tray beheath the rear window, and vents incorporated in the tail-lamp housings. THOSE vents incorporated a rubber flap, which acts as a one-way valve, supposed to permit air to EXIT the car at that point, but never enter. Those rubber flaps could be, and probably are, either broken, or curled up and stiff, and no longer doing their job.

Check the Stude vendors; I think this item is being reproduced, or perhaps NOS ones can be had. With a little effort, you could cut your own from a suitable piece of sheet rubber.

If I remember right, you can open the trunk, and see the rubber flaps through the holes in the rear body panel where the tail lamp assemblies attach.

Hope this helps.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gord,

Yes, I considered the little flaps in the taillight assembly. They are both there and working the way they should. I'm going to try covering all the holes in the trunk with duct tape. I also have a couple rubber mats I might set over the holes, too. Then I'll give it a try. It's so hot here today (almost 100 degrees), I'm not looking forward to cleaning out the trunk, but I probably will, since I have the time today.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Several years ago I took my '62 Hawk to a local tractor show. While there, I bought a small display cabinet and only had room for it in the trunk. Due to its size, I could not close the lid and could smell exhaust the whole way home. I will vouch for Dick's comments.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                1948 M-16 grain truck
                1949 2R16A grain truck
                1949 2R17A fire truck
                1955 E-38 grain truck
                1957 3E-40 flatbed
                1961 6E-28 grain truck
                1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
                1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                1964 Cruiser
                And various other "treasures"
                Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I taped over the holes and took the car for a drive. I'd say at least 90% of the exhaust getting in the passenger area is gone. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X