PDA

View Full Version : World famous Martinsburg Meet (Atlantic Zone Meet)



53k
07-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I posted this to the Studebaker Newsgroup, but for those of you who don't follow it...
One week from tomorrow another world-famous Martinsburg Zone Meet opens.
It's not too late to sign up. For an on-line registration form (must be pre-registered to be judged), go to: http://www.potomacsdc.org/azm2006.html . We currently have registrations from as far as Georgia, Indiana, New England and Canada. Ted Harbit is planning to be here with Chicken Hawk.
This year's meet is being held at the Comfort Inn, 1872 Edwin Miller Blvd, Martinsburg, WV (less than 1/2 mile off I-81 at the northernmost Martinsburg exit). We have a VERY large parking lot for our exclusive use. The meet hotel is sold out, but there are numerous other motels close by. See: http://www.hotelsbycity.com/hotels/usa/west-virginia/martinsburg/. Closest are the Knight's Inn, Quality Inn and Super 8 (same exit).
Schedule is:
Friday- Registration, Noon to 8 pm, excellent catered barbeque 5pm to 9pm, famous parking lot bull sessions whenever to whenever
Saturday- Registration, vendor setup 8am to 10am, judging 11 am to ..., cash bar 6:30pm, awards banquet (limited to 300) 7pm, more famous parking lot bull sessions after banquet until whenever.
Sunday- trip to nearby Antietam National Battlefield Park 10 am
We will have a large hospitality room Friday and Saturday with snacks and soft drinks. A trolley shuttle will run most all day Saturday to the Martinsburg Mall and to downtown attractions. And, we will have overnight security both Friday and Saturday nights (Reserve Sheriff's Deputies in patrol cars).
For those of you not familiar with Martinsburg- it is in the northeastern tip of West Virginal fewer than 100 miles from either Washington, DC or Baltimore, MD and fewer than 20 miles to either Virginia or Maryland on I-81. It is NOT the West Virginal you might expect (think John Denver and "Almost Heaven").
The long range weather forecast for Friday, July 21 is a high of 86 and a low of 67 with scattered showers possible, Saturday is expected to be 86 and 66 with mostly cloudy skies. Don't worry about rain. It always goes around our meet.
See you there,


Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

Roscomacaw
07-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks Paul, I'd love to join you but even if I started out today, I don't think I could be there in time[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Guido
07-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Paul,

If I elected to bring up my newly acquired Studebaker buggy, what class would I be judged in?

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"
Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

studegary
07-13-2006, 03:04 PM
I am sorry to be missing this year's Atlantic Zone Meet. I normally go to the Zone Meets for the Northeast, Atlantic and sometimes, others. This year, the Northeast and Atlantic Zone Meets are the same weekend. I thought about it and decided that I would go to the Zone Meet for the Zone that I reside in. I have enjoyed Martinsburg in the past and will miss it. I seem to know about the same number of people wherever I go to an SDC meet.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Laemmle
07-13-2006, 04:33 PM
At the 50/50..the winner should get Johnsons R-4 engine:D:D:D:D

mbstude
07-13-2006, 06:13 PM
I'l buy 50/50 tickets, and put that R4 in the dump truck I won in a Stude club raffle. [:0][:p][8D]

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g>)
MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
Click my name and check out "Links".

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/rainyday.jpg

imported_n/a
07-13-2006, 06:33 PM
I'd go, though it is a long trip for me, if I knew for sure that some nice 58 Packards would show up & there might be someone selling parts for them, such as gold quarter inserts and nos headlight doors. I wouldn't mind seeing some C & K's, Larks, Cruisers, Bulletnoses and so on, either.

Guido
07-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Henry,

There used to be a fellow up in that area who had a number of the 57-58 Packard's though I think he sold several on e-bay. Perhaps Paul Johnson can give more information.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"
Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

53k
07-13-2006, 09:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Guido

Paul,

If I elected to bring up my newly acquired Studebaker buggy, what class would I be judged in?

Gary

We will have a Special Interest Vehicles class that includes wagons. Please bring yours.

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

53k
07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Packebaker

I'd go, though it is a long trip for me, if I knew for sure that some nice 58 Packards would show up & there might be someone selling parts for them, such as gold quarter inserts and nos headlight doors. I wouldn't mind seeing some C & K's, Larks, Cruisers, Bulletnoses and so on, either.

There will be a nice '57 Packard there, but I don't know about '58s. I kind of doubt that there will be a vendor selling '58 Packard parts, but you never know.

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

Guido
07-13-2006, 09:56 PM
quote:We will have a Special Interest Vehicles class that includes wagons. Please bring yours.

Paul,

I just took it off the trailer last night but it is not a problem to load it back up. It is original, no rotting wood, but bad upholstery and peeling paint. I think I am going to keep it as it is. I have dinner guests on Friday, but should be there by 10:00 on Saturday. I will see if I can get some of the Richmond contingent to go and I believe Frank and Gerald are going too.

Gary

Gary



Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"
Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

53k
07-15-2006, 07:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I'l buy 50/50 tickets, and put that R4 in the dump truck I won in a Stude club raffle. [:0][:p][8D]

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g>)
MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.


Not as unlikely as you might think. A few years ago I had a '63 Daytona Skytop for sale and a man in Southern Virginia called me a couple times about it. In one conversation he told me of a farmer in his neck of the woods who had a grain truck with an unsupercharged R-3 in it. Apparently when Studebaker was selling the leftover R-3s and R-4 dirt cheap, he decided that would work well in his truck. Unfortunately I never followed through and didn't even record the man's name.
BTW- the Daytona was a strange one- 22,000 miles, 6-cylinder three-speed (no O/D), small hubcaps, blackwalls, did have a radio and heater, but NOTHING else other than the Skytop.


Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

53k
07-15-2006, 07:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by 53k

I posted this to the Studebaker Newsgroup, but for those of you who don't follow it...
One week from tomorrow another world-famous Martinsburg Zone Meet opens.
It's not too late to sign up. For an on-line registration form (must be pre-registered to be judged), go to: http://www.potomacsdc.org/azm2006.html . We currently have registrations from as far as Georgia, Indiana, New England and Canada. Ted Harbit is planning to be here with Chicken Hawk.
This year's meet is being held at the Comfort Inn, 1872 Edwin Miller Blvd, Martinsburg, WV (less than 1/2 mile off I-81 at the northernmost Martinsburg exit). We have a VERY large parking lot for our exclusive use. The meet hotel is sold out, but there are numerous other motels close by. See: http://www.hotelsbycity.com/hotels/usa/west-virginia/martinsburg/. Closest are the Knight's Inn, Quality Inn and Super 8 (same exit).
Schedule is:
Friday- Registration, Noon to 8 pm, excellent catered barbeque 5pm to 9pm, famous parking lot bull sessions whenever to whenever
Saturday- Registration, vendor setup 8am to 10am, judging 11 am to ..., cash bar 6:30pm, awards banquet (limited to 300) 7pm, more famous parking lot bull sessions after banquet until whenever.
Sunday- trip to nearby Antietam National Battlefield Park 10 am
We will have a large hospitality room Friday and Saturday with snacks and soft drinks. A trolley shuttle will run most all day Saturday to the Martinsburg Mall and to downtown attractions. And, we will have overnight security both Friday and Saturday nights (Reserve Sheriff's Deputies in patrol cars).
For those of you not familiar with Martinsburg- it is in the northeastern tip of West Virginal fewer than 100 miles from either Washington, DC or Baltimore, MD and fewer than 20 miles to either Virginia or Maryland on I-81. It is NOT the West Virginal you might expect (think John Denver and "Almost Heaven").
The long range weather forecast for Friday, July 21 is a high of 86 and a low of 67 with scattered showers possible, Saturday is expected to be 86 and 66 with mostly cloudy skies. Don't worry about rain. It always goes around our meet.
See you there...

After I posted the above I learned that Ted was not going to be able to make it. However, today I find that he is indeed coming. So, come on down/up/over and meet every Studenut's hero and see Chicken Hawk up close and personal.
According to the Weather Channel, next Friday (7/21, Registration Day, Barbeque) will be 87 high, 65 low with isolated thunderstorms. Saturday (7/22- Show day, awards banquet), high 83, low 66, partly cloudy.
Like I said before, rain doesn't dare mess with this show.

BTW- My original post should have read Virginia, and West Virginia, not Virginal (darn fumble fingers and dumb spell checker).


Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine