This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New brake drums - rear T-Cab

I have a '62 T-Cab and a spiffy new set of wheels that won't fit the rear drums due to the humpy ridge. (The front drums are now disc brakes, so it's not an issue there)
    Seems to me this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I didn't take much note at the time because it didn't matter then. I'm presuming they're 11 by 2" drums with the 5 on 5. If'n someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

Western Washington, USA

It's a half-ton, BTW. Thanks.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Tom, can't remember where I saw it now Stude Truck site maybe, but someone had used a Chev. 1/2 Ton pickup front drum and cut the Stude. hub or the Drum on a lathe to match the center hole size, put all together and it worked fine.
      Note that your wheels should be 5 bolt, 4 3/4in. center to center on 3rd. stud from the first. same as Chev. car, 1/2 Ton Truck and small Toyota truck.
      Rich.

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

I have a '62 T-Cab and a spiffy new set of wheels that won't fit the rear drums due to the humpy ridge. (The front drums are now disc brakes, so it's not an issue there)
      Seems to me this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I didn't take much note at the time because it didn't matter then. I'm presuming they're 11 by 2" drums with the 5 on 5. If'n someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

Western Washington, USA
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich said,
        quote: Tom, can't remember where I saw it now Stude Truck site maybe, but someone had used a Chev. 1/2 Ton pickup front drum and cut the Stude. hub or the Drum on a lathe to match the center hole size, put all together and it worked fine.
        I found it for you. It's one of the pages in the Studebaker Tech Help section at Chuck and Chris Collins' Studebakerparts.com. Look down the page for "Truck Brake Drum Help":

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Thanks Guys! I don't see why the 1/2 ton should be that much different than the 3/4 in the wheel dept.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Tom, can't remember where I saw it now Stude Truck site maybe, but someone had used a Chev. 1/2 Ton pickup front drum and cut the Stude. hub or the Drum on a lathe to match the center hole size, put all together and it worked fine.
            Note that your wheels should be 5 bolt, 4 3/4in. center to center on 3rd. stud from the first. same as Chev. car, 1/2 Ton Truck and small Toyota truck.
            Rich.

[b][6]
            The Stude 1/2 ton truck bolt pattern is 5 on 5, not 5 on 4 3/4[b/][/6]
            As per 8E truck specification book.
            [/6]
            Originally posted by tomnoller

Western Washington, USA
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Rich.

[b][6]
              [/6]

Western Washington, USA
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              I think that they all agreed that the wheels/drums are a 5 inch bolt circle. The 4 3/4 inch measurement was bolt to bolt, an abnormal way to spec. wheels/drums.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY
              1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
              1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Transtar60 and StudeGary; If you've got a tape measure and a 5 lug drum or wheel, what other way to measure is there? I never heard of taking a protractor to the junkyard to measure wheels! LOL Rich.

[quote]quote:Originally posted by studegary

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Rich.

[b][6]
                [/6]

Western Washington, USA
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                I think that they all agreed that the wheels/drums are a 5 inch bolt circle. The 4 3/4 inch measurement was bolt to bolt, an abnormal way to spec. wheels/drums.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY
                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

your locak tire shop may have a plastic fitment tool it's basically a measuring tool specifally for this quest - if you can borrow it great if not - make your own out of even a sheet of paper - just place the paper at the end of your studs and press - instant perfect portable bolt pattern measuring tool

Tom Banish
                  '48 LandCruiser

Comment

Tom, if your remark was regarding the 3/4ton trucks, there's a vast difference! The Stude 3/4 ton trucks use 8-lug wheels.
                    The Stude 1/2 truck stud pattern is commonly referred to as "5 on 5"

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Studerich I dunno but the Studebaker truck 1/2 ton bolt pattern is 5 on 5.
                      Chevy passenger car bolt patterns can vary but fullsize are normally 5 on 4 3/4 bolt circle.

Dont know what else to say.

Comment

Very strange...the 3/4 ton info on Chuck Collins' website definately doesn't work for the 1/2 ton 7E7. The Bendix number given is a 12" drum for 50s thu early 70s Ferd.
                        We also measured the alleged 5 on 5 Stude hub and it definately is 5 on 4 and 3/4" but the holes on the 5 on 5 wheels I ordered fit the stud pattern. Huh?
                        Now I'm on a quest for a 1/2 drum that'll work with my Stude hubs for the rear.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

But it says that those numbers are for a 3/4ton truck. He didn't GIVE a number for the Chevy drums that he's used on his half ton (Jerry Kaiser). He just said that they were for a '76 model Chevy half ton. You'd have to tell the auto parts place that and let them look up whatever number it is.
                          Then there's the little matter of having the hubs machined a bit to fit the inner hole of the Chevy drum. (per the photo shown). I think I'm gonna go that route. I searched far and wide for spacers to let my Riviera wheels sit on the Stude drums. I ended up fudging it in the end and tho it's worked for 10 years now, I've never felt real good about it. Jerry's solution would be THE fix in the long run.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                            Then there's the little matter of having the hubs machined a bit to fit the inner hole of the Chevy drum. (per the photo shown). I think I'm gonna go that route.
                            I'm planning to do this, as well. The NAPA guy has 11" Ch*vy brake drums for me (made in Canada or USA, better than what Autozone carries, he says), and he recommended I use a real machine shop to machine the hubs, rather than a place with a brake lathe, which he says are not as accurate as what a machine shop uses.

Oh, and "5 on 5" pattern Ch*vy truck or van wheels from the mid '70s and later will do (you'll need them to clear the Turner disc brakes in front).

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Dillo, the letter you can't figure out in Ch*vy is "e"... it's spelled, "Chevy".

No thanks necessary, I'm here to help.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X