This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 cyl OHV engine

I have heard that the heads in the 6 cyl OHV engine had problems with cracking. Is that limited to the valve seat areas? I'm wondering if installing hardened valve seats would solve the problem. And I also heard that the rods had problems at higher RPMs. Does anybody know of other problems with the 6 cyl OHV engine? - thanks

Casey; that area between the 2 valves is the only area I have ever seen or heard of, that cracks. The 6cyl. high performance info you need is best gotten from: Bill Cathcart at 860 564 5852 or studebill1@wmconnect.com ,he's in Conneticut. OR www.cathcartsstudebaker.com

Rich.

quote:Originally posted by casey

I have heard that the heads in the 6 cyl OHV engine had problems with cracking. Is that limited to the valve seat areas? I'm wondering if installing hardened valve seats would solve the problem. And I also heard that the rods had problems at higher RPMs. Does anybody know of other problems with the 6 cyl OHV engine? - thanks
    StudeRich
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Casey; that area between the 2 valves is the only area I have ever seen or heard of, that cracks. The 6cyl. high performance info you need is best gotten from: Bill Cathcart at 860 564 5852 or studebill1@wmconnect.com ,he's in Conneticut. OR www.cathcartsstudebaker.com

Rich.

quote:Originally posted by casey

I had a '61 with the ohv six. It had some badly burned valves and when I took it to a shop they noticed that there were several cracks around exhaust valves. No problem- they installed new valve seats and all was well. I think a lot of ohv sixes got "thrown away" that could have been easily fixed.

Paul Johnson
      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
      Museum R-4 engine
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Guys, thanks for the input. I talked to Mr. Cathcart himself and he confirmed that the hardened valve seats solve the problem. So I agree with 53K- this engine has been much maligned for a relatively small defect with an easy fix. Mr. Cathcart also shared that the valve guides can be very difficult if not impossible to get out. He thought sleeving them with a very thin brass bushing could be a solution.

Comment

Working...
        X