PDA

View Full Version : 57 Provincial- have to sell

bams50
07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
After much agonizing, I have decided to sell my 57 Provincial Wagon :( I am in the midst of a business expansion (a GOOD thing!) and need to raise a little more capital than originally planned; so have to sacrifice some toys (a BAD thing!)...

Here's a few pictures:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2358000-2358999/2358680_1.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2358000-2358999/2358680_7.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2358000-2358999/2358680_17.jpg

Car is just out of 20+ year inside storage; originally a Colorado car; remarkably solid and straight!! Only rust: bottom front inner corners of front doors (easily fixed), small hole in driver's floor (patched long ago)... otherwise, totally rust-free top to bottom, front to back!! Black paint servicable as-is, white peeling and shot... frame is perfect- bolts for gas tank unscrewed without any lube- just amazingly clean and rust-free!! Also has the rare factory luggage rack, in great condition!

Engine is a 259 V8, Holley aftermarket 4 bbl., auto trans.; starts and runs, sounds good, drives around the yard; no brakes, so haven't been down road... parking brake works... gas tank out, being cleaned-looks brand new, no rust at all! Has electric fuel pump, quality installation... exhaust intact and looks solid.

Seats are pretty decent but don't match... has rare rear third seat! Carpet is cheapo aftermarket and in pieces; headliner intact but should be replaced... dash and gauges all there and seem to work... door panels included, but rough, and removed; some interior handles missing... glass all good except a crack in RR quarter window- but includes a NOS replacement...

Missing front pans under and behind front bumper, as well as front bumper brackets (I have all these located)... chrome all there except "V8" on LF, and LF "Provincial" script damaged... trim will polish up decently for a driver... original wheels, very good newer tires, all original hubcaps!

I have some NOS goodies that go with it; lenses, fuel gauge, wheel cylinders, and more!

If you're interested, contact me; otherwise, it will be on ebay on 7/16 with a Buy-It-Now of $3500.

I have always wanted one of these; and this one is just what I wanted... but this business expansion is the right move at the right time; so I must sell. But here's an additional offer: Buy it, enjoy it, fix it up, or just preserve it; and in a year or so, if you like, sell it back to me!! I'll be in the market for one then, so you can have fun with it, and send it back to a real Wagon lover!!!

It breaks my heart to let it go; these are ultra-hard to find! I can only hope it finds a good home with a real Stude lover... so if you've been looking for one for as long as I was, here's your chance!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

bams50
07-10-2006, 05:13 AM
Don't know how I left this out, but:

The car is located in Parish, NY 13131; central NY, 25 miles due North of Syracuse.

Thank you for your interest in this car!

Parish, central NY 13131

studegary
07-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Robert - There will be a hot rod, classic & custom vehicle auction right in your neighborhood. I just received the mailing this afternoon. Perhaps you are already aware. Maybe you could sell a car or two there. The mailing is from TriState Auto Auction in Cicero and the auction is to be held at the NYS Fair Grounds on July 14 at 1 PM. That's the way that I read the information. To me, it would make more sense to hold the auction at the car auction facility. They give a web site (that I haven't checked) of; www.tristateaa.com. Certainly not good publicity on their part to notify me three days in advance for something 250 miles from me.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

bams50
07-11-2006, 08:26 PM
[8D]Gary, I do know about the auction; it's more for ready drivers, though, and my Wagon's not quite there yet ;)

I'm in the used car business, and do business at Tri-State every week- first class operation all the way! Elliot (owner) and Bob (promoter of the Syracuse Nationals) put the auction together in a relatively short time (been promoted the last couple months, though; no idea why yours took so long!)... the Nationals have a BIG car corral, with lots of cars and parts of all types and conditions; and lots change hands there... so Bob and Elliot thought a regular auction made sense- and I agree! They're having it in a big building right on the show grounds, where everyone's going to be anyway... I'm betting it'll be a quality production, and grow to be another HUGE part of an already major gathering [8D][8D][8D] and next year will have MUCH more promotion;) I'm running my 65 Lincoln Convertible through...

Let's see: 7000 Classic, Street, Muscle, and Antique cars and trucks
plus
Hundreds of vendors for everything imaginable for the car hobby
plus
Entire NYS Fair Grounds covered by the two above
plus
1/2 hour from my home
equals
VACATION DAYS REQUESTED- AND APPROVED!!!! [:p]

Parish, central NY 13131

studegary
07-12-2006, 04:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

[8D]Gary, I do know about the auction; it's more for ready drivers, though, and my Wagon's not quite there yet ;)

I'm in the used car business, and do business at Tri-State every week- first class operation all the way! I'm running my 65 Lincoln Convertible through...

Parish, central NY 13131

Robert - I didn't think that it was an auction for your wagon. That's why I said;"Maybe you could sell a car or two there."

I am familiar with Tri-State. Up until Oct. 1999, when I worked for a Chrysler dealer, I made regular trips up to that auction. A 500 mile round trip plus checking the cars out and then spending the day at the sale, made for a long day. They seemed to be nice people to deal with. The auction is small and like living in the past compared to the other one that I used to attend during the same time period - Southern in Connecticut. Southern is only a 250 mile round trip for me. I am close (about 20 miles) to the Newburgh Auto Auction, but rarely went there. I don't know anyone around here that likes it. I think that they draw too much from NYC. I have also gone to the dealer auctions at Northway and on Long Island. At least for franchise restricted type sales, most of the dealers just buy online from what is at the auction now.

Enjoy yourself and good luck with your Lincoln. If it was closer, I might consign a car or two.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

bams50
07-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, didn't get it listed... got about 40 minutes into writing up the listing, and it suddenly just DROPPED me ("Page Expired") :(:(:(

I want it to end on an early Sun. evening; so I'll try again next week... or maybe do a 10-day listing on Thurs...

Meanwhile, I'll still give someone here a good deal pre-eBay if you're interested!

Parish, central NY 13131

Swifster
07-16-2006, 09:40 PM
If there is one thing I've learned about listing stuff on Ebay, it's that before you hit the 'NEXT' button, do a 'copy' of what you just wrote. I've had that happen a few times and it really :('s me off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

Dick Steinkamp
07-16-2006, 10:11 PM

Well, didn't get it listed... got about 40 minutes into writing up the listing, and it suddenly just DROPPED me ("Page Expired")

You might try writing the text in WORD then pasting it into the window in the eBay listing. This gives you time to write and re-write. Also, you can use WORD's spell check.

You can also "schedule" a listing to start whenever you want for a nominal fee. This allows you to get your listing "polished" days before you want it to start.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
07-16-2006, 11:05 PM
This one did much worse than I would have thought for a rust free, Southern California Wagon...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=320005694467&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT

Not a great ad, but it still should have bid higher (IMHO)

studegary
07-17-2006, 07:49 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

This one did much worse than I would have thought for a rust free, Southern California Wagon...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=320005694467&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT

[quote]

The power windows are rare in a wagon and should have been an adder. To me, the biggest negative is that it isn't running. It is a big unknown and costs more to transport.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

showbizkid
07-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Either way, someone got a deal. This car's probably been sitting in someone's desert lot off the Grapevine for 20 years...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 Lark Standard

KGlowacky
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
I am a 56 2 dr wagon owner and I continue to be amazed at how cheap these wagons sell for on E-bay. About a month ago there was a 56 2dr on e-bay that didn't even get an opening bid of $750.00. Looked real straight,complete and solid. Did not run and was a 6cyl. I guess I have to much love and money in mine to ever think I would sell at these numbers. Good Luck.

mbstude
07-18-2006, 07:07 AM
quote:This one did much worse than I would have thought for a rust free, Southern California Wagon...

Looks like JDP got another great deal...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g>)
MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
Click my name and check out "Links".

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/rainyday.jpg

bams50
07-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for finally keeping this thread bumped up by talking about how LITTLE they're worth!! [B)]

Pretty ironic discussion on a thread started to try to sell a car to raise money.......

Parish, central NY 13131

KGlowacky
07-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Sorry Bam 50, I think they are worth alot. I only made my comments because no one else seem to think so. I believe you can get a good price but you must find the person that knows a little about wagons, someone who has been pricing --ev's and --ords. I wish you well. These are great cars and the trend in the market right now are wagons.

Dick Steinkamp
07-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Robert,
Sorry if my post was off base. My point was that long roofs are hot right now...these are great looking wagons...and the one that recently was on eBay SHOULD have bid higher than it did (IMHO). Maybe it was the poor ad, maybe the cars location. I don't know. I did not intend to imply that your car wasn't worth what you're asking. Just the opposite. Sorry if you got that impression.

07-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Robert, for some reason that's just the way it is on the Studebaker boards, on boards for other makes of cars that I frequent, people usally don't try to devalue a car, I am by no means trying to offend anyone here, so please don't take any, but I have noticed that posts talking about how little Studebakers are worth seem to be a recurring theme. I wonder sometimes if the reason Studebakers aren't worth more, is because the people who are in to them don't feel they are worth much.

Dick Steinkamp
07-18-2006, 05:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by 5859

Robert, for some reason that's just the way it is on the Studebaker boards, on boards for other makes of cars that I frequent, people usally don't try to devalue a car, I am by no means trying to offend anyone here, so please don't take any, but I have noticed that posts talking about how little Studebakers are worth seem to be a recurring theme. I wonder sometimes if the reason Studebakers aren't worth more, is because the people who are in to them don't feel they are worth much.

I guess different folks can read different things into posts. The written word probably isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I personally don't see anything in this thread that attempts to devalue any Studebaker. I see two posts about actual sales (or at least bids)...one of them mine. Both go on to say the cars should be a HIGHER value than what actually happened. I guess I don't take that as trying to devalue a Stude...in fact, I see those posts as saying those particular Studes should sell for MORE than they did.

James, you say "I have noticed that posts talking about how little Studebakers are worth seem to be a recurring theme." Please post links to these. I must have missed them.

With that said, IMHO Studebakers ARE bargains when compared to some other makes. You can buy a #2 1964 R2 Hawk or Lark for $25k or so. Try finding a #2 top '64 muscle car offerings from Ford, Chevy, or MoPar for that amount (you know, the ones Ted consistently beats at the PSMCD's :D). I personally think that's a good thing. We get to enjoy our brand of cars for less money than the Chevy or Ford fans. I wonder how many of us would be hanging around here if cars like Robert's wagon were $10k like a corresponding Chevelle?

I'm just curious, James. Would you like to see the price of Studebakers go up dramatically? If so, why?

07-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Dick, I do not know how to post links, if someone will clue me in I will do so as there is a wealth of them. I would not like to see prices go up dramatically, I do agree that would put a lot of people out of the Studebaker market, However, it is a disapointment to hear people who are loyal Studebaker fans belly ache and discourage other people from purchasing, over cars that are in the 1,500.00 to 3,000.00 price range. As I said, I do not want to offend anyone, and thinking about it, if I were to post links to particular posts, that is exactly what would happen, so never mind about the links. Anyway, if you read through the last 3 months of posts, which is roughly how long I have been reading this board, all differen't topics, you will see what I mean.

bams50
07-18-2006, 06:56 PM
No big deal; I'm a big boy! :D

I just had a laugh about hoping a discussion might start for the sole reason of keeping the thread on the first page- didn't want to make up reasons to bump it. The laugh came when Dick posted the link to that super-low bid wagon, followed by 3 quick posts talking about very low-priced results of wagons [:I]

I thought: after reading my original post followed by those comments, a casually interested potential buyer might get the impression there were plenty of Stude wagons around- dirt cheap- therefore making mine look common and not worth much of anything....[xx(]

Truth is, I really don't want to let it go; I love this car! But growing a business is a long, winding, and sometimes painful road... hope no one takes offense to this, but how I'm doing it is: Describe it honestly, think carefully about what my bottom dollar would be, offer it for sale, and let God decide if I can keep it or not... if it sells, I'll part with it happily; if not, I'll keep it protected and preserved in my best building till I can give it the care it deserves...

What was posted here probably won't make much difference either way; I just try to avoid negativity about something I sell, without being dishonest- Business 101...

The car is all that it is, and isn't what it isn't; when it hits eBay, it'll do what it does, and no more; if it's enough, it'll go; if not, it'll stay with me. The rest is just sport! :D

Parish, central NY 13131

Dick Steinkamp
07-18-2006, 07:38 PM

Anyway, if you read through the last 3 months of posts, which is roughly how long I have been reading this board, all differen't topics, you will see what I mean.

James,
If you truly believe that my post and Ken's post were attempts to devalue Studebakers, then I would be in complete agreement with you that you have seen many other posts here that attempt to devalue Studebakers.

07-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Dick, I did not mention your posts, or Ken's, in fact I was not refering to any posts on this particular thread, I was writing directly to Robert , in response to his post on this thread. The posts I am talking about have been on many other threads and other topics, it is obvious that you read the forum often by your quick responses to my posts, as do I. If you can honestly say that you have never seen the posts I am talking about, then it can only mean one of two things, you either haven't seen them, or you need a "Good" pair of glasses. As for trying to bait me into an argument, I will not bite any further, this will be my last post on this subject.

Guido
07-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I have noticed that posts talking about how little Studebakers are worth seem to be a recurring theme. I wonder sometimes if the reason Studebakers aren't worth more, is because the people who are in to them don't feel they are worth much.

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

James, you say "I have noticed that posts talking about how little Studebakers are worth seem to be a recurring theme." Please post links to these. I must have missed them.

I will not bite any further, this will be my last post on this subject.

James,

You made a statement suggesting that numerous posts in the past devalued Studebakers and Dick politely asked for you to provide some examples to understand your mindset. How neatly you have avoided the subject.[xx(]. If you are going to make a statement PLEASE be able and willing to back it up, otherwise you are just BAITING US.

I deal with people that insist on talking in generalities at work, I would prefer not to see the same thing on this board.

That being said, the proper reference would be that is your "impression" or "view" that devaluation exists, but don't state that it exists in prior posts and then cop out and tell Dick to search 3 months of posts to find something he stated he didn't find when the topics were fresh.

Departing my soapbox now....

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"
Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Studedude
07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
quote:Departing my soapbox now...I was about to step onto my soapbox, but decided against it... except I will say that Dick is a top-notch fellow, and would not bait anybody into anything, period.

http://www.davesplaceinc.com/sdcforum/logo.jpg
www.davesplaceinc.com

bams50
07-18-2006, 09:08 PM
JEEZ, I didn't mean to start anything...[:0]

I hope you all read my response above; I was hoping to convey that while I felt an unintentional negative turn, it didn't really bother me. More importantly, I hope we can all remember that it is sometimes EXTREMELY difficult to get an accurate feel for a writer's intention without the benefit of facial expression or voice inflection; so please try to not jump to conclusions!

I think one of the reasons I'm attracted to Studes is that I love all kinds of old cars; and Studes are old cars that are much cheaper to buy, type for type and style for style, than comparable big 3 cars. That means I can get a Stude sedan, or wagon, or convertible, or hi-perf, or whatever my preference at a really good value! This is probably where the feeling that Stude folks "devalue" the brand being a recurring theme comes from. We probably all know someone who's had a Stude in the barn or in the back lot for years, thinking they had a super-valuable item, only to experience a kind of "reverse sticker shock"...

I hope we can all get along, and keep with the purpose of this Forum: which is sharing, teaching, and learning about Studes!!:D

Parish, central NY 13131

studegary
07-18-2006, 09:40 PM

JEEZ, I didn't mean to start anything...[:0]

I hope you all read my response above; I was hoping to convey that while I felt an unintentional negative turn, it didn't really bother me. More importantly, I hope we can all remember that it is sometimes EXTREMELY difficult to get an accurate feel for a writer's intention without the benefit of facial expression or voice inflection; so please try to not jump to conclusions!

Robert - I completely agree with your statement above. There are a couple of regulars here, that do not personally know me, that seem to take much of what I post in a vein not intended.

Good luck on your eBay listing/sale. I have bought much from eBay, but I have yet to venture into listing something for sale.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

07-19-2006, 02:29 AM
Well, I guess I will go back on the "No more posts on this topic" statement just to clear some things up, after this though I am done with the topic for good. First to gudo, I may have made an error in wording by not saying that it was "my opinion" that some posts by differen't members devalued Studebakers, however I "don't feel" that you read my posts thouroughly, otherwise "in my opinion" you would not have accused me of coping out or avoiding the subject by not posting links and would have seen that first of all I do not know how to post links, and second of all, after thinking about it as I was writting it, I realized that if I were able to post links, it would only serve to offend the writters of the posts. On the same note you should "in my opinion" practice what you preach and use phrases like "in my opinion you are coping out" instead of stateing it as a fact, also, if you are going to post links about how I wouldn't post a link, or anything else I have said or done, at least have the decency to post all of what I said as to the reason I wasn't going to be posting any links or arguing any further, instead of editing my words to make them fit the agenda of your post. I have no problems with soapboxes, as long as the guy standing on them knows what he is talking about. To Dick, I may have been out of line with the comment I made about baiting me into an argument, and I would like to appologise for it. I called it as I saw it at the time, but what has been posted here is true, about how it is hard to get a feel for the writers true meaning without facial expressions, and voice tones, so I hope there are no hard feelings.

stude53
07-19-2006, 08:45 AM
No offense intended, none taken. Let's close this thread and move on, guys.

Bob Feaganes (stude53)
53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC
[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/NewBitmapImage.jpg[/img=left]

Dick Steinkamp
07-19-2006, 09:37 AM
so I hope there are no hard feelings.

None here. Let's talk Studes [8D]