PDA

View Full Version : 1958 scotsman wagon

diesel
07-04-2006, 04:00 PM
hello to all ,i am going to throw this out there and see what you guys and gals think.i am a old gaser fan,i have a pretty straight 58 wagon 2 door,thinking just thinking of tube straight axle 454 chevy 400 tranny, tubbed,ect.what do you guys think and what would be a good clip that would fit fairly easily into the wagon,any comments greatly apreicated.i have the engine rear end diff and tubbs out of an old nova race car.

James Beamish

stude freak
07-04-2006, 04:12 PM
OMG, think twice n twice again .A straight 52 2dr. wagon chopped up to be a dragster?Its your car but i would rather see it restored on the road not a dragstrip.But it would make a bad*ss hauler except for the straight axle front end.I know your stayin with the theme of the times but that straight axle is a bustard to drive.just my 2 cents.

diesel
07-04-2006, 04:26 PM
it is a 58 2 door,but i have not made up my mind yet it is a driver except for the brakes right now,i was going to advertise it on Ebay but have had some bad luck on there before,it is for sale.i wanted to try to sell it first before i cut it up,because it is fairly staight car and driveable,old flat head runs smoother than the new engines do,:)

James Beamish

stude53
07-04-2006, 04:55 PM
James,

Is this the same wagon you showed us before? If so, I remember it as looking pretty good.

I'll ask the obvious questions.
Where is it?
What do you want for it today?
Do you have pictures or a link?

Look forward to your answers.

Bob (stude53)

stude freak
07-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Oopps again,I think my fingers have had too many cold ones. i meant to type 58.Its still hot n humid in Ms.

imported_n/a
07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
With the price of gas these days, I'd stick with the trusty Champion 6! I fully expect them to start pricing fuel by the quart, here. Fix it up to drive, and install a fake hood scoop if you must, so "they" will be impressed. It is no small undertaking to build the type of car you have described. Many have tried, and given up midway through their project.

diesel
07-04-2006, 09:58 PM
yes it is the same car i showed before it is in Vancouver BC Canada will ship it to the states at buyers expense http://www2.snapfish.com/share/p=71341152067849617/l=108251366/g=52790221;jsessionid=A8F16FC98484E1E8E3530C3702744BDA this is the link to the pictures and i will let it go for 3800.00

James Beamish

Swifster
07-04-2006, 10:05 PM
James, with very few exceptions, you'll find that this board will do what ever it can to 'save' the Studebaker ______________ (<---put model here) from those who wish to do it harm (or modify it in anyway from stock). It's your car, do what you want with it. My request is that before turning a wrench on the car, have a solid plan in place, don't under estimate the cost to build the car and buy all the outside parts (i.e., straight axle, engine, trans, etc.). Many a decent car becomes a basket case because the owner didn't understand what the project would take in either time, or money. Make sure you have plenty of both before tearing into the car.

As for a clip, this shouldn't be needed for a straight axle. The front frame can be modified for leafs. I'd be concerned with the rear half of the frame and the work you'd need to do to fit larger tires in the back. If you've never done this type of work, consult a good frame shop and let them handle the modifications.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

showbizkid
07-05-2006, 10:27 AM
That's a sweet looking ride. Love the color too! Wish I had the cash and the extra parking space; I'd buy it right now.

---------------------------
Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Roscomacaw
07-05-2006, 11:06 AM
James,

You're "preaching to the choir" here. We'd like to save every Stude we lay eyes on. But that's not finacially feasible. Most of us on this forum have more Studes than (or at least "as many AS") we can handle.
It's a nice car. It's probably worth what you want for it. But not much more than that. Given that, it doesn't leave room for anyone to buy it with the idea of "turning it" to make a buck. So this limits your market so far as this forum's concerned.

Most of us here would rather see this thing put back on it's feet in stock fashion. BUT - there's another camp of opinion that says "do what you want with it!" It's YOUR car. And the argument will be made that a Stude in any fashion (as you propose rodding this one) is still another Stude so far as observers are concerned. The consequence being that even tho modified, it still helps to keep the name alive.
As has been mentioned here, keeping the Champion 6 with an OD tranny would serve you in this era of ridiculous gas prices. I dare say with proper driving, you could eek 27 - 28MPG outta that thing. With the 454, it'll be slightly less economical[}:)] But as an artistic exercize in what you can do with the "mix 'n match" approach, it'll probably stand out because it looks different.[:0]

If you don't sell it and you do as you propose, who's to say you've done wrong? IF you've done this sorta redo in the past, you know what all's involved. It's anything but a "cakewalk". But done well, if it gives you pleasure then that's all that matters - is it not?:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Mike Van Veghten
07-05-2006, 11:25 AM
That's what I'm doing to mine.

Among the three Stude's I have...my 60 Lark 2 dr. wagon with 22,000 original miles on it...I figure I bought it so I can do as I please.
It's now got a Vette front suspension, a 9" Ford in the back with a four link (Morrison rear clip assy.).
A friend and I built a roll cage assembly that goes from bumper to bumper. Motor plates to hold the engine solidly in place
The outside of the car has remained intact and stock.
I'm happy with that I started and the outcome.
My brother hates me for doing what I did!!!

Mike

Michidan
07-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Straight axles are sweet. Always wanted to do one. I've never driven one however and they are probably far from practical. Like anything, if you're going to do it, do it right. 454 seems like too "new" of a motor for this theme.
early hemi...crower fuel injection...funny car pipes

Dan
52 hardtop