This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker XUT

I suppose a lot of people here have already seen this new truck version of the Studebaker SUV. I just learned about it.

I have a couple of questions - mainly rhetorical:

1. Why is Avanti Motors so incredibly inept at press releases on their website?
    2. Why would Avanti Motors think anyone would really think they can build the XUT when we've heard promises for, ah, about 2 years now about the SUV being produced, and not a single one has left the factory that I know of?
    3. Why don't they finish what's on their plate already before announcing a new model?

Here is a picture:

I sure wish they'd get going and MAKE SOMETHING, instead of talking about it and flinging some half-announcement on their website once a year.

Just what America needs: another boxy truck thing that gets 12 gallons to the mile. [xx(] Haven't we had enough of these yet?

If they really wanted to develop something that'd sell, they'd do the Avanti Wagon that Stevens wanted to do way back when. The sport-wagon market has been on an upswing for the better part of a decade, and there's no signs of stopping.

---------------------------
    Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

How can I say this nicely, instead of just coming right out and saying it's UGLY?

Ok, how about this......."If I had been the designer, I wouldn't have done it that way." <G>

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

This may be the restyled version, if I remember
        right they had problems with G*C with their 1st
        design, as it looked too much like a HummVee.

Probably will never see it, unless it can
        guarantee 50 mpg....

Glen Brose
        53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

Comment

I think it does have some of the lines of the WWII Army trucks that Studebaker built..

Comment

[quoteIf they really wanted to develop something that'd sell, they'd do the Avanti Wagon that Stevens wanted to do way back when. The sport-wagon market has been on an upswing for the better part of a decade, and there's no signs of stopping.
            [/quote]

Great Idea...I imagine it would look like the old Volvo 1800ES.
            I hear the Dodge Magnum is a big seller, and Mazda's sport wagon seems to be popular too. If Subaru's were as popular in the rsst of the country as they are here in the Northwest...they'd own GM now.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The Subarus get a lot of action in California too. If done right, an Avanti wagon would be a good upscale competitor to the Audi A4.

Clark in San Diego:

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Ill just say I hope they never do build that thing,be a shame to put the great Studebaker name on anything that ugly.

Comment

I agree with Packebaker about the army truck similarity, especially the hood:

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon
                  Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Avanti Motor Corporation 106 Temple Street, PO Box 158 Villa Rica, GA 30180 770/456-0900 Phone 770/456-0989 Fax Dear Avanti Motors, Please, for the love of God, drop this new SUV that you are making under the name of Studebaker. Studebaker was ALWAYS a leader in ideas, not DEAD LAST. This concept...

My letter to Avanti Motors (unanswered) & the post I made on AOAI
                    back in November of 2005 in regards to that XUV thing. To sum it up
                    (if you dont feel like reading) : I feel that Studebaker was a leader,
                    not a follower, & certainly not DEAD last to come out with something.

I suggested bringing back the Wagonaire, and the sliding roof, since
                    Avanti had bought the rights to it, make it a sport wagon and share
                    the same platform as the Avanti. They then replied that SUVs are still
                    selling like hotcakes (where??) & they would be staying on course ...
                    The sport wagon is a great idea, I TRIED guys, at the end of 2005, but
                    they felt they had a HUGE seller in the XUV/XUT thing..........

Post by "Avantidan" [Dec 1 2005, 03:16 PM ] -
                    "Hi Thomas;
                    I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the Studebaker XUV. The demand is not only great but global. The concept is not only alive but others models are coming from Jeep, Ford and others. In fact the demand is so strong that we are strongly considering an XUT truck to follow it. In any event, the Avanti remains our number one focus.

The 2006 Avanti will be offered on a Ford platform. We changed to Ford because GM does not offer the platform we need to build the Avanti. Ford has been a good partner and is much more responsive than GM. We are offering a coupe this year in addition to the convertible.

Your Lark Wagonarie concept sounds interesting and if you want to make the investment, we'll develop it.

Take care;
                    Dan

National sales Manager
                    Avanti Motor Corporation"

Like I have money to build OTHER peoples cars! Pretty sad that he
                    couldnt spell "Wagonaire" right.

AND finally ... as of May 2006 .... :

anyone know whats happening with avanti motors?? i finally got a new avanti ....please dont go away!!! any info???

Again if you dont want to go read ... to sum it up :

Post by "Thomas" [May 6 2006, 10:01 PM ] -
                    "Beyond the city of Villa Rica moving into the Avanti Motors Corporation land/buildings, the current status of Avanti seems lost in the vapors of the early morning dew. Only parts of their website are functional, the last "news" was from October 17th, 2005."

Post by "avanti-info" [Jun 1 2006, 09:56 PM ] -
                    "In response to the questions about Avanti's future existence. Avanti Motor Corp. will soon be announcing exciting news about future production and future models. Avanti has not "gone away", it is only going through an important transition that will be made public soon.

This is the only post that will be made in this forum until the news on Avanti's new plans are released later this summer."

That post was kinda weird, since all the other posts with response to
                    the XUV thing were by "AvantiDan" ........ hmmmm Dan got fired?

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Hi
                      To most of us, Studebakers embody an honest, purposeful, straight-forward approach to vehicle design, with a strong bend toward finer, progressive aesthetic content.

These new "Studebaker" SUVs are the diametric opposite. It is just a travesty to have the marque name applied to such monstrosities. I dearly hope they never see production.

Steve

Comment

A lot of people hate these SUV things. Personally, I think it looks better than a Hummer and is probably just as well built (or would be if they actually MADE one or two).

I'm happy to see that they are trying to extend their product line. To continue making only the Avanti would be a limiting factor to the growth of the company. I would hope that eventually they entirely break with the old Avanti styling and come out with something completely new and different - even if they keep calling it an Avanti. You can only use the same design theme for so many years. Besides, whatever they may say, the "new" Avanti is a warmed over Camaro design from the 1990s - clear as day.

I've never seen a company so inclined to mismanage publicity and shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly. The XUT is just the newest example of weak hype (practically a whisper) followed by complete inaction. Getting information from behind the iron curtain was easier than getting information about Avanti's status or plans.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Whether they ever build one or not, it's NOT gonna be a Studebaker. Not in any traditional sense. It'll be akin to those Bell & Howell shavers that are sold on TV. You know, the 129 dollar value for a paltry 24.95.[xx(]
                          Bell & Howell was a well-respected name in the American Manufacturing landscape if you're old enough to remember. And frankly, all I recall of them is their manufacture of cameras. Movie Cameras to be precise.
                          Then some enterprizing sort buys rinky-dink shavers from Hong Dong Industries outta Sweatshop China and exhumes the once proud name from America's manufacturing heyday and badges the Hong Dong shavers in an attempt to lure aging Baby Boomers into thinking they're buying from Good Ol' Bell & Howell. What a transparent and empty joke!

These new "Studebakers" ...... what will they REALLY be? A Ford with a costume? You can call it what you want. Call it a Duesneberg, call it the new Stutz Bearcat, call it the Kaiser Vagabond. And if so, how many will gleefully embrace it as a genuine descendant of the namesake it harkens back to?

The REAL Studebaker is DEAD. Leave them be. Don't make a mockery of their fine legacy.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Amen and Godspeed, John Glenn!

Clark in San Diego:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott
                              You can only use the same design theme for so many years. Besides, whatever they may say, the "new" Avanti is a warmed over Camaro design from the 1990s - clear as day.
                              This is the "Camaro" one, its actually built from a Firebird, I dont
                              think that any were made from Camaros (I dont expect many here to
                              know the difference, I rememeber on the Alt. group, most didnt even
                              know that the Camaro/Firebird had been a hatchback since 1982[:0]) :

The "new" Avanti is actually built on a Ford Mustang chassis, so its
                              not as wide (will effect handling) and taller :

Just keeping the facts out there. I dont know WHY they would make the
                              car SO close to the original, without making some interchange links.
                              If they were smart, they would have made the taillights, & headlights
                              able to fit the earlier Avantis also. That would open the door to an
                              aftermarket division, & we all know that GM/Ford do that already. Also
                              dont even get me started on the Avanti available with a V6.[B)]

Tom
                              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                              X