This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Paint

Does anyone have an alternative in a rattle can paint that would match the off-white color used on the '64 model's wheels? I've got six to paint and would like to find a rattle can color at a local hardware store instead of $12.50 a can plus shipping from SI. SI will be my last resort if I can't find a substitute. Local paint dealers want as much as SI to custom mix and fix a couple of cans also.

Someone had painted 4 of my 6 with an almond or beige color but it just doesn't look right compared to the scratched and chipped 2 other originals. It's too brown and not really off-white. Any help would be appreciated.

[:I] Sonny: Plasti-Kote Anti-Rust Enamel, Color #368 - Almond, is about a dead hit. The UPC on the can I have in front of me is
    0-71915-00368-4 BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Does anyone know how close in color the Ford color "Wimbledon White" is to the Studebaker off-white? It was used for years by Ford, and is probably available in spray cans. That may be a good way to go, if it's a close enough match.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Dupli-Color has Wimbelton White in their product line.... a real close match to Stude's wheel color, and readily available at most all of your FLAPS . OBTW, it is very high quality paint and the price is reasonable.
        Dan

Comment

The wheels on my Daytona have been painted in Wimbledon White and look perfect! Our 63 GT Hawk is Wimbledon White as well.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
          South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
          63 Daytona HT (project)
          51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
          52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
          MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
          Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

Wimbledon white, appliance Almond, or Sherwin-Williams Antique White are all about the same color and correct for 62-63 wheels. 64 wheels however were more of a pure white, and I don't know what the correct color for those would be.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Wimbledon white, appliance Almond, or Sherwin-Williams Antique White are all about the same color and correct for 62-63 wheels. 64 wheels however were more of a pure white, and I don't know what the correct color for those would be.
              nate
              I used the Sherwin-William Antique White on my '64 Daytona wheels and I doub't if anyone could tell the difference from original. Antique white is whiter than the more almond ones.

Paul Johnson
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Nate; it has been my experience having owned many '64's that all the early US built one's (on the west coast anyway) had the beige '62-'63 wheel color both Budd smooth center type and Kelsy Hayes "double hump" type (Rambler) ones mis-named as "Disk" wheels as both fit the Disc. just the Kelsy has more clearance ANYWAY the Canadian late '64 and 65,66 are the ones that were White as you described.
                Rich.

quote:Originally posted by N8N

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                StudeRich
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I swear I've seen a '64 GT HAwk with pure white wheels, but then again, who knows if they were ever repainted.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks guys for all of the input. I'll check out the Wimbledon White and the Sherwin-Williams Antique White. Hopefully one of those will catch my eye. I just know I don't care for the darker almond/beige that the PO painted some of the wheels. My first car was the family Bermuda Brown '65 Cruiser handed down when I left for college in '69 so maybe I'm remembering that white. Even then it wasn't a pure white but more of an off-white. Thanks for pointing that out Nate and Rich. Quess maybe I assumed with the body similarities that the paint was more of a match to '65 than '62/63.

PS to Bob Palma (BP)....Just want to clarify that I'm not Sonny in case you might have expected a response from him. Snowy Buffalo has nothing to do with the city of Buffalo. It's an honorary indian name given me here in the Show Me state of Missouri.
                    \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                    \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Snowy Buffalo are you the same fellow who bids on alot of Studebakers (including a couple of mine a few years ago) on eBay?

Studedude1961
                      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                      X