Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A scam attempt against Studebaker parts!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A scam attempt against Studebaker parts!

Somebody just tried to scam me on some parts I an selling. I have posted here, on the alt.autos.studebaker site, and on the Stude Truck Talk site that I have reproduction M5/M15/1940 Commander/President bumper guards for sale at $200 per pair. I had a couple of emails and a phone call from a guy in England wanting to buy three sets. Strangely, he had said that he didn't want me to ship them, that he would send his own shipper to pick them up. I also thought it strange that he didn't mention what kinds of cars or trucks he was going to use them on.

So, today I notified him by email that the parts were ready for shipment upon receipt of his payment via PayPal for $600. He responded that he wanted to send me a "paycheck" for $3500. Said he, "Do not mind the high balance as I have got other items coming alongside the guards." I wrote him back that it was PayPal or nothing. He used the name Chris Long, chrislonguk [at] worldemail_dot_com, and he had a Jamaican accent.

I conclude that the scammers are now scanning the newsgroups and forums to find suckers. The other kink to some of these scams is that you may get a check and deposit it. Your bank has to make the funds available to you in a few days, but the check hasn't really cleared. Typically, the scammer will call you soon after you deposit his check, apologize for the inconvenience, and ask you to write them a check for the "extra" money. Somehow, the scammers have figured out a way to make it take up to a month for their check to finally be declared worthless - including cashier's checks - and your bank comes back to you and deducts the "deposit". If in doubt, ask your bank how to be sure that a check has truly "cleared". I read in the local paper that the same type of scam process is even being used on deposits for vacation rental homes and hotel rooms on Martha's Vineyard. I'm sure the guy was NEVER going to send anyone to pick up any parts. Be careful out there!

Anyway, I do have some gorgeous 197916 and 197917 bumper guards in polished 304 stainless steel if you want them. PayPal is my friend.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.

Here's a similar scheme that targeted me after one of my cars was featured on the "My Classic Car" TV show website.

"HELLO,
    I HAVE A CLIENT WHO IS REALLY INTRESTED IN YOUR VEHICLE,LISTED AT MY CLASSIC CARS.HE WILL TAKE CARE OF PICKUP AND SHIPPING.GET BACK TO ME ASAP,WITH YOUR LAST ASKING PRICE,THE ENGINE CONDITION AND IF YOU ACCEPT CASHIER CHECK PAYMENT?.THANKS.
    MICHAEL"

Notice how the message doesn't mention my car by name or ask any questions?
    Smelling a scam I decided to play along so I said yes and said I'd take $100,000 for my car.
    A few hours later I received this message:

"Alright John,
    How are you today?.I have forwarded your vehicle information to my clientand after evaluation,I'm delighted to tell you that my client has commendedyour vehicle, with full interest. I have also discussed the payment issue with him and due to time constraint, he has instructed me to carry on with his transaction at $99,500.
    He also instructed me to inform you that,due to banks policy on casheirchecks,the payment will get to you in a cashier check of $110,000, which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. So you arerequired to deduct the cost of your vehicle $99,500, when payment gets toyou and refund balance $10,500 to our agent ( the shipper ) for him to beabled to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.
    After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper'sagent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.
    Please confirm this and forward the following informations;
    Names:.......
    Address:.......
    Phone number:........
    For payment to be made and send to you as soon as possible.Your honesty,
    understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated.
    Feel free to contact me at 206-202-1005 or drop a message
    835 Franklin Ave,Honolulu,
    Hawaii 96813
    Have a wonderful day.
    Michael."
    Be carefull out there...

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yeah, if things sound fishy, they usually are. A little common sense goes a long way.

Comment

Welcome to the party guys ... this has been a standard thing over on
        the Impala SS forum for years now.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
        X