Looking for help with locating rivits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help with locating rivits

I am in the middle of restoring my vent windows and runs on my Conestoga. There are quite a few rivits that hold all of the various components of the run channel together. I went down to my local fastener dealer to see what was available and he was steering me toward using pop rivits.

However, I would like to use something closer to original if possible. Has anyone had luck finding them anywhere?

Please advise,

Scott

Scott,

I pulled this from Gary Ash's website and it explains how he did it on his M-5 truck.

Good luck!

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Scott,

I pulled this from Gary Ash's website and it explains how he did it on his M-5 truck.

Good luck!

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

SI sells the vent window rivets for $1 each. I have used, and will be using, brass brake lining rivets on the vents. I do use pop rivets to attach the run to the bracket that screws to the door interior.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

SI sells the vent window rivets for $1 each. I have used, and will be using, brass brake lining rivets on the vents. I do use pop rivets to attach the run to the bracket that screws to the door interior.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've actually shot rivets in aircraft applications. I was darned good at it. I still have various sets and bucking bars as well. Frankly, after frustrating myself over trying to go as original as possible - and I had ALL the right rivet types and sizes - I went with pop rivets except in a couple of places where I deemed they weren't ideal.
            I MADE new window runs last time - using the solid core sticks of the stuff that are available. I carefully laid out and drilled the rivet holes from the backside and THEN, using appropriately-sized transfer punches and a backing block that had closely-sized holes to match the OD of whatever transfer punch I was using, I'd instill an offset from the INSIDE of the run, wherever there was a rivet hole. Man, it looks like FACTORY! And the pop rivet's head clear the glass like they oughta!

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've actually shot rivets in aircraft applications. I was darned good at it. I still have various sets and bucking bars as well. Frankly, after frustrating myself over trying to go as original as possible - and I had ALL the right rivet types and sizes - I went with pop rivets except in a couple of places where I deemed they weren't ideal.
              I MADE new window runs last time - using the solid core sticks of the stuff that are available. I carefully laid out and drilled the rivet holes from the backside and THEN, using appropriately-sized transfer punches and a backing block that had closely-sized holes to match the OD of whatever transfer punch I was using, I'd instill an offset from the INSIDE of the run, wherever there was a rivet hole. Man, it looks like FACTORY! And the pop rivet's head clear the glass like they oughta!

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X