This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant, but not profane, but longish.

Last night I left work at 2pm,drove the Sorento over to Dianes(60 miles),got the bike and back to Truro to pick her up from work,25 miles, then up to New Brunswick so I could get her to drive the Hawk back(100 miles),then ripped back to New Glascow to be ready for work today(140 miles). Well,I did sure enjoy following those big fins down the road,and Diane said the car ran beautifully,even better than she remembered from last summer,no doubt because my Dads been tinkering with the carb,he must have things just right.So the Hawks home for the Canada Show and shine in Shubie on Saturday.
    Now for the rant.
    While up at Dads I wanted to change the oil in my bike,as Ive already put on more than 6k (kilometers) this spring. When I was at the dealers picking up the oil and filter last week,the dummy at the parts counter handed me the"long" oil filter,the kind I used to use on my last 80 cu. in. Harley. The new 88 cu. in. twin cam takes a shorter version,and I asked if he was sure the long one would fit my 04 Dyna Low Rider. "Oh sure it will" says he. The next day I looked at the clearance between the oil filter,which runs horizontially across the front of the engine,and I just couldn't see how that long filter would clear this plug,that has a heavy wire attached,thats actually the crank rev counter for the engine. So I called the Dealer and asked to look it up and make sure this filter would work. He did,and assured me it would. So,Im happy,the bigger the oil filter the better right?
    Wrong!! I was at Dads last night,in a hurray to get back on the road,drained the dirty oil,pulled the old filter and dropped it in the pan with the dirty oil,then tried installing my new long filter. It was obvious right away there was something very wrong. I even removed the voltage regulator out of the way but no way was that filter going to clear that plug and wire on the engine. So I fished my old filter out of the pan and put it back on,dumped my new clean oil in,and headed back cursing the A-hole at the H-D parts counter every mile.
    I just got off the phone with their service department,and guess what,the long filters do NOT fit the new twin cams(duh). So I said, I think you guys owe me a free oil change and I want it as soon as possible,as in tonight.
    They agreed,so now Im off to Halifax after work and back for my last day shift tommorrow(200 miles).
    You expect these kind of F-ups from Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart,but from the so called experts at a genuine Harley-Davidson dealer?
    Im still pissed, but what can ya do.

Since HD has become a hyped up commodity, too many people have jumped onto that bandwagon...all to make a buck from the hype. Just going into the Taj Mahal dealership building(s) and looking at the clothes vs. the bikes is enough to make you want to walk out. The motorcycle dealership smells like a cross between a JC Penny's store and a saddle shop. Not for me... I want the smell of tires, oil, and machinery.
    (Oh, and the Taj Mahal is a mausoleum, so the acronym seems fitting to me)
    Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Your right Jeff,when I bought my first Harley back in the late 70's when H-D was losing dealers faster than Honda was gaining them,the dealer ran his shop out of his garage. There was no such thing as "Motor-Cloths",no big glossy stores,and not every rock/sports star had to have one. Truth was,the only ones riding them were the outlaw types and guys like me, who just thought that a Harley was the only way a motorcycle should look,feel,and sound. The dealers were being forced to sell those Italian made lightweihgts that were nothing but a warranty pain in the butt,and even Harleys own brand of SNOWMOBILES! I had a close pal who bought a new Low-Rider in 1980,him and I were the only guys in our small town that road Harleys, everyone else was on British Nortons and Triumphs,or those new Honda CB 750's that were all the rage. Wouldn't you know it,Kevins new Low-Rider seized its engine while still under warranty, turned out one of the pistons wasn't quite round and didn't fit the hole exactly. We took a lot of flak from everyone for sticking with our "dinasours" in those terrible AMF years. Now Harleys have got so damn cool the dealers are arragant. When I bought my new Wide -Glide in 1996,I had to buy 2000 dollars in accesories,IN ORDER TO GET THE BIKE !!! They are still selling everything they can build so it will be a long time before the company comes back to earth.
      Im glad their doing so well, but they have to remember that there most loyal customer base are BIKERS, not the doctor,lawyer,rock star crowd.
      End of rant.

Comment

That attitude (or lack of) runs rampant all over.
        One of the priviate auto shops I deal with, knows better thAn to ask me, "what does it fit"? They actually have guys that know a little bit about cars.

Now...go to the NAPA, Kragen, etc., etc., if it aint in the book...it don't exist.
        A while back I went into a parts store and asked for a condensor with a lead about "X" long (for my currently stock engined Conestoga). The person asked "what does it fit"? I said..."not to worry, it won't be in your parts book".
        They asked again....I said a "54 Studebaker Conestoga with a 170 cu. in. flat head six". The person looked in the book......no listing (go figger!). They took my bad condensor and matched it with a simillar one, with a simillar lead length!

Wonder of wonders...it worked...and I have no idea what it fits (and dont care!)

It seems most of what we did as kids...cars, bikes, boats, etc. wasn't just a job, it was "fun"!
        Now days...it seems it's "just" a job to most kids. They have no or very little "actual" knowlege about what they are doing....and in later years....won't have much more of that knowlege.

Mike

Comment

One of our mechanics switched over to a late model Triumph and said he gets more attention at the bike shows than he did with the Harley. He has some subtle mods like a bobbed rear fender and some not so subtle mods like straight pipes. Those Triumphs sound pretty sweet!
          Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

This is not an unusual occurrence these days at the HD dealers. I have a few friends who have jumped on that bandwagon, and have got similar results. Not all are bad, but these types of examples go with the growing pains. I'll stick to my Honda Valkyrie...sounds wicked as can be, it gets lots of looks at every bike event, like my GT does at the car shows......

Comment

It is my understanding that it takes a minimum net worth of $1.5 million to even talk with H-D about opening a dealership. Sure a long way from when a local farmer would be approached by a manufacturer's rep about opening a tractor dealership on his place!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
              1948 M-16 grain truck
              1949 2R16A grain truck
              1949 2R17A fire truck
              1955 E-38 grain truck
              1957 3E-40 flatbed
              1961 6E-28 grain truck
              1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
              1962 Champ pickup
              1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
              1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
              1964 Cruiser
              And various other "treasures"

Comment

Maybe I can afford it in another dozen lifetimes. Ofcourse, with inflation and all, it could take a tad longer.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Transtar56,if it makes you feel any better: Harley service is No Better here in Illinois.

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  60Lark
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Don't knock the kids working in auto shops. If they have poor customer attitude, blame the owner / manager. He / she should have taken the time to give the kids a bit of training, including what to say when an "oldtimer" wants a part
                    Just look at how one is served in a McDonalds or Kentucky Fried place - The kids have been instructed how to deal with customers.
                    /H

Comment

Working...
                    X