This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker and Airstream

This past weekend I turned another long time dream into reality when I pulled home a 1976 Airstream Trade Wind 25 ft.
    Just wondering how many other members share my penchant for this combination of rolling stock.
    Better yet, are any of you actually towing a vintage Airstream with your Stude? Got any pics?
    P.S. I don't ever plan to put a hitch on our Hawk!

A member of our Region has a 1947 Airstream he pulls with a 1953 C Cab.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hi rockne10, That's a combo I'd like to see. As vintage goes that's hard to beat.

Comment

Year before last, the Petersen Auto Museum had a display theme around life on the road - trailers, pop-ups, campers etc.. Man, they had some GORGEOUSLY restored vintage trailers along with Detroit beauties that might well have served to pull them to favorite vacation spots. I remember a Wagonaire as well as a couple other Studes that were displayed. The restored trailers - with their beautiful wood interiors were breathtaking to behold!
        I want that damned time machine and I want it NOW!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Year before last, the Petersen Auto Museum had a display theme around life on the road - trailers, pop-ups, campers etc.. Man, they had some GORGEOUSLY restored vintage trailers along with Detroit beauties that might well have served to pull them to favorite vacation spots. I remember a Wagonaire as well as a couple other Studes that were displayed. The restored trailers - with their beautiful wood interiors were breathtaking to behold!
          I want that damned time machine and I want it NOW!
          Hey, I was there. In fact, I cruised down and picked you up. It was kind of a stormy day which limited the Stude participation, but the Peterson Museum was still as good as ever. Here's one of those tow vehicles...

More Peterson iron...

Here we are on the roof of the Peterson (motley crew)...

Me, Pat, you, and Mike (damned Rambler guy )

Then we cruised over to Pat's warehouse to check out his Italian Frua Larks.

IIRC, it was a pretty gosh durn nice weekend (in spite of the weather) [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

That it was, sir! I couldn't remember if that was the weekend we went together or not.[xx(]
            I especially got a kick outta "discovering" the serial number plate on that Frua Lark!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Cool! We've acquired a 1959 18' Globetrotter and a 1975 31' Sovereign (both Airstreams) in the last year. We're a little bit wary of towing the Airstreams with any of our Studebakers into the mountains because the Airstreams are soooo heavy. We picked up a 1961 Imperial to tow the '59 Airstream and a 1975 Chrysler Imperial for the '75 Airstream. For the flatlands, we may tow the '59 Airstream with our '63 Wagonaire. We're almost done restoring an old Serro Scotty trailer that we'll tow with the Wagonaire or our '61 Lark Skytop. We were inspired at the last South Bend international meet a few years back by the cute Lark convertible towing the restored vintage boat.

"The Common Sense Car"
              "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
              '63 Lark "Lucy"
              '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
              A bunch of other Larks
              '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Comment

As a kid in Gering, Nebraska, we used to go out to nearby Lake Minatare camping and fishing in the late 1960s/early 1970s and I recall seeing a fairly nice 1963 Studebaker Lark 4-door pulling a Red Dale camper of the same general vintage. Back then, most people traded cars every couple of years so even in the late 1960s the Stude stood out. It was copper color and the Red Dale was a white/tan combination. The whole outfit looked pretty spiffy. The people were older as I remember. The other older car I remember seeing "Out at the Lake" was a 1963 Rambler Ambassador, purple with a white top, that an old guy drove (and I think probably slept in). Fast forward to 1997 or so and another visit to the lake and lo and behold...the same 1963 Rambler Ambassador and the same old guy fishing! One of the few instances of things staying the same!

I would love to find a vintage early 1960s small Airstream...I think they called them Bambi's (correct me Airstream guys if I need it) to pull behind my 1963 Cruiser!

Studedude1961
                --1963 Cruiser

Comment

If other car frames are as poorly built as my 57 wagon's, I can't imagine towing ANYTHING with it!

Mine is totally rust-free; but if I bounce it with my foot, the bumper and/or brackets actually flex [:0] Even tying to the frame I couldn't see where it would be capable of much weight...

Don't get me wrong- I love this car, and don't care if it's not durably built; she'll be pampered (yet driven!) for as long as I own it... just an observation, and a heads-up for other Stude owners to look long and hard at the frame if you intend to tow anything

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

I've got a 1962 Shasta 16' trailer that I started restoring then bought a house and it's been at a stand still for about 3 years. Stripped the latex house paint off it and got started polishing the aluminum siding. Here's a picture from when I was ambitious on this project.

There is a guy who does build a hitch for a Hawk.

Comment

I'm not in the same class as you guys, but I do tow a vintage Trail-ege, one wheel trailer behind my original 1942 Champ Coupe once in a while. It will cause people to talk and question car and trailor.
                      Klif
                      55 Speedster/Street Machine
                      63 Avanti R2
                      64 Convertible R1

Comment

I remember seeing a lot of single rear whhel small trailers back in the late 50's and 60's... I always thought they were pretty neat, but hey... I liked Studebakers too
                        Your comment caused me to look around a little and I found a neat website just for single wheel trailers.. Registry and everything.
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by klifton1

I'm not in the same class as you guys, but I do tow a vintage Trail-ege, one wheel trailer behind my original 1942 Champ Coupe once in a while. It will cause people to talk and question car and trailor.
                        Klif
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My Trail-Ege, looks like the upper picture, without top bows and with a single tail lite. Paint is in much better cond. Trailer is not restored.
                          I see you have a 37 Coupe Express, One was just removed from a shed here in Mn. with 5100 miles on the clock. Needs a good cleaning but it's near perfect. It's not for sale.

Klif
                          63 Avanti R2
                          64 Convertible R1

Comment

I bet towing those one-wheel trailers gets interesting if you ever have a flat tire on it.

Lee

Comment

With the twin hitches, you don,t even know it's there. They don't sway. A flat tire will just make it bounce, which is different.
                              Klif
                              63 Avanti R2
                              64 Convertible R1

Comment

Working...
                              X