PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive

arkiejazz
06-13-2006, 10:14 AM
[:o)]Hi guys, some of you may know that I'm temporarily here in Lubbock, Texas. I have been using my '63 Champ V8 1/2 ton with overdrive for the past 3 weeks without any problem at all, save for poor gas mileage. Well, yesterday on the way to the shop, the overdrive was working just fine...and again at lunch it was working properly. Then, come 5 O'Clock, the overdrive refused to work at all....no free-wheeling, nothing....This morning, I checked the most obvious thing first....the kickdown switch fuse....it tested good. So...what's my next diagnostic?[:o)]

steve blake

skyway
06-13-2006, 11:51 AM
No freewheeling? As in when you let you foot off the gas you get engine breaking?

In that instance, check to see that you overdrive lockout cable is not pulled out (even any little bit), and that even if its still pushed in, that the lockout lever on the transmission has not somehow moved (even any little bit.

Roscomacaw
06-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Workin' this problem on both forums here......... I've just had another conversation with Steve and I NOW understand the nature of the problem. Earlier, I got a call from another fella and I drew my initial conclusions from what he told me. I didn't hear anything about not having the freewheeling function tho.

Steve's truck is operating as it if were in lockout mode - but it's not. The control lever on the tranny's back as far as it will go and yet the tranny's functioning like a straight 3-speed.
Curiously, the solenoid doesn't respond to having the governor wire shorted to ground. In fact, the solenoid circuit seems to be dead for all intent and purpose. And curiously - although it uses a two-wire solenoid, Steve can't seem to find a relay that SHOULD be there for a 2-wire solenoid to work!:(

Updates to come.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

arkiejazz
06-13-2006, 03:07 PM
[:o)]I'm beginning to have bad feelings about this. Does anyone happen to have a good trans for this truck that they'd be willing to sell and ship to me? [:I]

steve blake

arkiejazz
06-14-2006, 12:24 PM
[8)]Ok....here's the deal, after emailing half of North America and checking and tweeking just about everything associated with the Champ's overdrive set-up, it was still not operating last night when I headed out from work. So, on the drive of about 14 miles on I-27 at about 55mph, I had me a talk with "Old Red" that went something like this: "you and I have been riding the trail together for about 30 years with narry a mishap or hiccup.....and now in our old age, you pull this stunt. don't you feel embarassed with all these rice burners passing us at will? it would be best if you straightened up and flew straight."
Well, this morning on the drive back to work, the OD was working just fine. Go figure![:I]

steve blake

60Lark
06-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Maybe I should get you to have a talk with my car, better yet with my wife [^].

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil

Lark Parker
06-14-2006, 03:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by arkiejazz

[8)]Ok....here's the deal, after emailing half of North America and checking and tweeking just about everything associated with the Champ's overdrive set-up, it was still not operating last night when I headed out from work. So, on the drive of about 14 miles on I-27 at about 55mph, I had me a talk with "Old Red" that went something like this: "you and I have been riding the trail together for about 30 years with narry a mishap or hiccup.....and now in our old age, you pull this stunt. don't you feel embarassed with all these rice burners passing us at will? it would be best if you straightened up and flew straight."
Well, this morning on the drive back to work, the OD was working just fine. Go figure![:I]

steve blake

You still need to check the error code history in the computer.
Take it to an authorized service dealer.

JBOYLE
06-14-2006, 03:31 PM
quote:
You still need to check the error code history in the computer.
Take it to an authorized service dealer.

You can always find a dealer by looking on the Studebaker corporate website.:D

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

jcarmichael
06-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Not mentioned in the above post was if it would shift into reverse or not. If the solinoid sticks in the engaged position the freewheeling feature won't work and there will be no click when checking the solinoid, it also won't shift into reverse. When that happens I think the transmission is stuck in overdrive rather than direct and shouldn't effect the top speed at all.

By the way I spent a lot of weekends in Lubbock during the early 60's when I was in the Air Force.

1961 Lark

skyway
06-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Congrats on the mysterious return of your overdrive.

What I was hesitant to mention in my post yesterday, was that if it were not a "lockout" issue, it could be very grim internal problems.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd promptly make sure BOTH the gearcase and the OD case are topped up.

arkiejazz
06-14-2006, 05:44 PM
[:o)]Just to answer some of the questions...yes, it was going into all the gears, including reverse. Both ends of the trans are full!!!

steve blake

N8N
06-14-2006, 05:47 PM
maybe time to put some fresh oil in there?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

stude freak
06-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Nothing like a good heart-to-heart talk is there jazz.